Meta Avatars Store

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 667 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

885d3ba52e2d4765986873346ddb2996

Now, with legs! Facebook/Meta announcement.

What's amusing is their approach to "branding" - terrible designs with famous brand names on them.

"We know that many of you want to more fully represent yourselves and your interests by decking out your avatars with clothing from some of the world’s leading brands. When the Meta Avatars Store starts rolling out this week, we’ll offer digital outfits from Balenciaga, Prada and Thom Browne, three of the world’s most iconic fashion brands."

Until 2021, Linden Lab had almost the only good avatar clothing system around. Now more systems are adding layered clothing. MetaHuman, MetaTailor, Roblox, etc. A standards organization is forming. Most of the major players are on board: Epic, Unity, NVidia, Microsoft, Autodesk, etc. Linden Lab is not listed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Why are their heads so big?  Do they know nothing about proportions or are they intentionally all big-headed?

It's such a strange choice IMO. I've seen it a lot in modern life sim games - from My Time at Portia to Animal Crossing. Adults do play those, but it always makes me think a company is trying to target a younger audience when they do that.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

It's such a strange choice IMO. I've seen it a lot in modern life sim games - from My Time at Portia to Animal Crossing. Adults do play those, but it always makes me think a company is trying to target a younger audience when they do that.

It makes the already cartoonish looking avatars look even more ridiculous.  I thought people wanted realism in their virtual reality worlds.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, animats said:

885d3ba52e2d4765986873346ddb2996

Now, with legs! Facebook/Meta announcement.

What's amusing is their approach to "branding" - terrible designs with famous brand names on them.

"We know that many of you want to more fully represent yourselves and your interests by decking out your avatars with clothing from some of the world’s leading brands. When the Meta Avatars Store starts rolling out this week, we’ll offer digital outfits from Balenciaga, Prada and Thom Browne, three of the world’s most iconic fashion brands."

Until 2021, Linden Lab had almost the only good avatar clothing system around. Now more systems are adding layered clothing. MetaHuman, MetaTailor, Roblox, etc. A standards organization is forming. Most of the major players are on board: Epic, Unity, NVidia, Microsoft, Autodesk, etc. Linden Lab is not listed.

I think that Philip and Brad touched on this, they want to be the outliers and not be like the other big companies. Also these big companies sell your data. LL doesn't. That being said, they finally added legs? Lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

What blows me away is that there are no shortage of qualified artists to create interesting and stylized clothing and avatars - they're all over the place. Believe me as a constantly growing artist it can be discouraging, awe-inspiring then after the shock buckle down and raise one's bar for oneself and improve...

Yet companies with thousands and millions of dollars still can't make avatars that are cool.

Companies seemingly refuse to use a standardized base rig so that users can upload their own avatars, and use those avatars on various platforms.

Everyone talks 'metaverse' and a 'universe' to explore between companies, and at the same time each platform still forces proprietary things.

And no, adding stripes to suit pants and suit jacket isn't cool, isn't hip so fire the artist and hire ones that will actually make cool clothing

What users want universally it seems, even if they can't create it themselves, is a unique avatar. Mixing and matching a limited set of stuff means nothing - in the long term a user will want more that represents them.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

What blows me away is that there are no shortage of qualified artists to create interesting and stylized clothing and avatars - they're all over the place. Believe me as a constantly growing artist it can be discouraging, awe-inspiring then after the shock buckle down and raise one's bar for oneself and improve...

Yet companies with thousands and millions of dollars still can't make avatars that are cool.

Companies seemingly refuse to use a standardized base rig so that users can upload their own avatars, and use those avatars on various platforms.

Everyone talks 'metaverse' and a 'universe' to explore between companies, and at the same time each platform still forces proprietary things.

And no, adding stripes to suit pants and suit jacket isn't cool, isn't hip so fire the artist and hire ones that will actually make cool clothing

What users want universally it seems, even if they can't create it themselves, is a unique avatar. Mixing and matching a limited set of stuff means nothing - in the long term a user will want more that represents them.

Zuckerberg did this as a marketing gimmick to attract more users. Meta is the laughing stock of the virtual worlds, he knows this. So how do you get a bunch of brainless people to join, with big well known brands selling their clothing virtually. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

We should all encourage Meta to continue with this avatar style. It’s awesome. 

It is, but not for obvious reasons. 

Stylized "cartoony" avatars age very well, they will look as ok in 5 years as they look today. An SL avatar on the other hand ages like milk, which is why we spend so much time and money constantly updating them.

They don't fall into the uncanny valley, at all. We're used to how SL avatars look because we have trained ourselves to be ok looking at them. They are easily uncanny - a feeling you can recreate by just trying to find a new head for your own avatar.

They are easier to make expressive, derpy big grins and wide eyes and over the top expressions actually work ok on simplistic avatars. They are so bad on SL avatars we go the extra step to disable that entirely and look like creepy dolls half the time. 

To someone who isn't used to assigning personal identity to an avatar, a simplistic avatar is a much easier gateway to the entire concept of an avatar.

Personal uniqueness is easier to achieve, The crappy mark head looks like mark. It's instantly recognizable.

The female avatar is Eva Chen - and it's easily close enough.

dg4Kzon.pngWJgwZgd.png

Are these the best avatars possible or the most realistic, hell no, but we're sat here patting ourselves on the back for looking like something from a PS4 game with none of the facial expression and movement capabilities. Sure we look great in still pictures .. but real time SL and flickr SL are entirely different propositions.

• Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 667 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.