Jump to content

Men's Mental Health Month


Recommended Posts

For many they don't know that it is men's mental health month, so just wanted to put this out there so everyone can know. As a lot do know men's mental health usually isn't taken seriously, it is changing in recent years but it is still not as important as others. Men do need emotional support as well and don't forget it is okay to reach out to professionals if you need it.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's the problem.

As a man you can't do that. Everyone will perceive you as weak and immediately abandon you.

Though I do believe it is up to men in many situations to have to be the rock, to be the problem solver, the protecter, the guardian, the tough guy - they're not allowed to be anything less or they are perceived as weak.

This is just a thing that happens right or wrong, no sense denying it. This is why suicide rates are higher in men than women - because they literally have nowhere to go.. and if they become homeless even LESS places to go, as men's housing is minimal or even non-existent.

The masculinity that actually empowers men and makes them strong, competitive activities, measuring up to other men in their peer group is very important - and in our society where they are literally attacking this and chipping away at the foundations is driving more mental issues in men. Equating masculinity as 'toxic' is super damaging on many fronts.

I also believe men are the strongest with a strong virtuous woman by their side, where they both face the world head on and are a sum greater than their parts.

Destroying men and men's health will only destroy our civilization. It's kind of sad how Father's Day came and went with not a peep in relative to other 'holidays' that overshadowed it - goes to show how far our society has gone and do not recognize or empathize with the effects it has on men.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Toxic masculinity is a root cause of poor mental health in men, the solution is not to double down on the red pills.

https://www.verywellmind.com/the-dangerous-mental-health-effects-of-toxic-masculinity-5073957

Men and women are not so different that intractable lines in the sand need be drawn, and accepting that men can, and should be, emotional or vulnerable is a hugely important step in improving the health and well being of the men in our lives.

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

Here's the problem.

As a man you can't do that. Everyone will perceive you as weak and immediately abandon you.

Though I do believe it is up to men in many situations to have to be the rock, to be the problem solver, the protecter, the guardian, the tough guy - they're not allowed to be anything less or they are perceived as weak.

This is just a thing that happens right or wrong, no sense denying it. This is why suicide rates are higher in men than women - because they literally have nowhere to go.. and if they become homeless even LESS places to go, as men's housing is minimal or even non-existent.

The masculinity that actually empowers men and makes them strong, competitive activities, measuring up to other men in their peer group is very important - and in our society where they are literally attacking this and chipping away at the foundations is driving more mental issues in men. Equating masculinity as 'toxic' is super damaging on many fronts.

I also believe men are the strongest with a strong virtuous woman by their side, where they both face the world head on and are a sum greater than their parts.

Destroying men and men's health will only destroy our civilization. It's kind of sad how Father's Day came and went with not a peep in relative to other 'holidays' that overshadowed it - goes to show how far our society has gone and do not recognize or empathize with the effects it has on men.

I would have to disagree with you there. 1 big thing, men shouldn't have to be a emotional and mental dumpster. They should be able to talk about their feelings openly, without being perceived as weak. Suicide rates in men are higher due to the fact that a man has to be what you said, a rock and basically take crap and not have anyone to talk to about their feelings. I mean men like women are human after all and are emotional beings like women. How are they any different? How come they need to just let their issues go, or the usual. Drown their feelings behind a bottle? That part is toxic. The way a lot of men cope with life and mental illness, and even emotions is absolutely toxic. And that really needs to be addressed. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Toxic masculinity is a root cause of poor mental health in men, the solution is not to double down on the red pills.

https://www.verywellmind.com/the-dangerous-mental-health-effects-of-toxic-masculinity-5073957

Men and women are not so different that intractable lines in the sand need be drawn, and accepting that men can, and should be, emotional or vulnerable is a hugely important step in improving the health and well being of the men in our lives.

I mean I was raised by my dad, before I came out as trans. To talk about my emotions and feelings, and don't bottle them up and don't sit behind a bottle and drown away your sorrows. I grew up with a dad that cried in front of me. I never saw that as weak as a kid, I looked up to my dad and also wanted to be like my dad as a kid. To be strong and to be able to deal with things appropriately. But most young boys are not taught that sadly, which leads to why men commit suicide at an alarming rate. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I would have to disagree with you there. 1 big thing, men shouldn't have to be a emotional and mental dumpster. They should be able to talk about their feelings openly, without being perceived as weak. Suicide rates in men are higher due to the fact that a man has to be what you said, a rock and basically take crap and not have anyone to talk to about their feelings. I mean men like women are human after all and are emotional beings like women. How are they any different? How come they need to just let their issues go, or the usual. Drown their feelings behind a bottle? That part is toxic. The way a lot of men cope with life and mental illness, and even emotions is absolutely toxic. And that really needs to be addressed. 

Agree.

Not all men are the tank, sometimes they are ranged DPS, the healer, or just the bard. Their contributions or masculinity are no less valid as a result.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Toxic masculinity is a root cause of poor mental health in men, the solution is not to double down on the red pills.

I'm reminded of the classic comedy, "Semi-Tough", which predates most related movements. Yet treated a serious topic lightly with positive humor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Jester Shenanigans said:

That article is written by a woman who wouldnt know about mens mental health issues at all

Our mothers didn't know about men's health issues, or our wives, daughters, sisters, aunts, or grandmothers?  Interesting! What's that say about men knowing about women's health issues? Funny how we only accept one frame of reference. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

Here's the problem.

As a man you can't do that. Everyone will perceive you as weak and immediately abandon you.

Though I do believe it is up to men in many situations to have to be the rock, to be the problem solver, the protecter, the guardian, the tough guy - they're not allowed to be anything less or they are perceived as weak.

This is just a thing that happens right or wrong, no sense denying it. This is why suicide rates are higher in men than women - because they literally have nowhere to go.. and if they become homeless even LESS places to go, as men's housing is minimal or even non-existent.

The masculinity that actually empowers men and makes them strong, competitive activities, measuring up to other men in their peer group is very important - and in our society where they are literally attacking this and chipping away at the foundations is driving more mental issues in men. Equating masculinity as 'toxic' is super damaging on many fronts.

I also believe men are the strongest with a strong virtuous woman by their side, where they both face the world head on and are a sum greater than their parts.

Destroying men and men's health will only destroy our civilization. It's kind of sad how Father's Day came and went with not a peep in relative to other 'holidays' that overshadowed it - goes to show how far our society has gone and do not recognize or empathize with the effects it has on men.

Could you provide some more details?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Wait, is this thread really about Male Fragility? Today I learned!

I am thinking so too. I mean people even said that there are certain traits and behaviours of men that could be considered toxic. They didn't want to hear about that. Lol 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For the record: Father's Day was widely observed. Even on Facebook and in Church (for me, at least). I suspect claims of Father's Day taking a backseat this year may come from "news" outlets like Fox News.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

For the record: Father's Day was widely observed. Even on Facebook and in Church (for me, at least). I suspect claims of Father's Day taking a backseat this year may come from "news" outlets like Fox News.

I was gonna say, I saw comics and posts and other stuff celebrating father's day. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Codex Alpha said:

Though I do believe it is up to men in many situations to have to be the rock, to be the problem solver, the protecter, the guardian, the tough guy - they're not allowed to be anything less or they are perceived as weak.

Many will claim that this is not true.  However, the truth is that while is should not be that way, in so many parts of the US and the world, it sadly is the truth.  Despite some aspects of society giving off messages that men display soft emotions, I still see a lot of men judged 'less than' if they actually do.   

We have gotten pretty good at accepting a man staying home to take care of the kids, taking time off work for kid stuff, taking some paternity leave, etc..., but for the most part we really still are not where we should be in allowing men to express the softer emotions.  

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Many will claim that this is not true.  However, the truth is that while is should not be that way, in so many parts of the US and the world, it sadly is the truth.  Despite some aspects of society giving off messages that men display soft emotions, I still see a lot of men judged 'less than' if they actually do.   

We have gotten pretty good at accepting a man staying home to take care of the kids, taking time off work for kid stuff, taking some paternity leave, etc..., but for the most part we really still are not where we should be in allowing men to express the softer emotions.  

I agree but is this something perpetuated by men themselves?  None of the women in my family think a man is any weaker by displaying emotions.  In fact, it takes a strong man to be able to do so, stepping out of the 'norm'.

My son, from a very young age, was extremely empathic.  He could sense what my emotional state was very easily.  I encouraged it.  He would also sometimes tell me, " Mom, I have a crying feeling".  We talked about it.  He cried.  He's grown into an exceptional young man but I have seen parts of him becoming a bit 'harder' and I feel it's due to what is expected by other males and not so much females.

Each gender can be their own worst enemy, IMO.

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

I agree but is this something perpetuated by men themselves?  None of the women in my family think a man is any weaker by displaying emotions.  In fact, it takes a strong man to be able to do so, stepping out of the 'norm'.

<snip>

Each gender can be their own worst enemy, IMO.

Yes, this is mostly true.  I've encountered a few areas of the world where women do encourage men to not show any weakness or soft emotions, but it is mostly a situation that men do to their own.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yes, this is mostly true.  I've encountered a few areas of the world where women do encourage men to not show any weakness or soft emotions, but it is mostly a situation that men do to their own.

From what I have seen, it's taught at a young age. That showing any signs of emotion or mental anguish is a sign of weakness.

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Dude i am an MTF trans woman. I know what it is like to go through mens mental health issues. I don't know why you seem to dismiss someone elses statements, as it doesn't conform to yours. I am sorry, but it seems like you just made this post to be an echo chamber. Instead of having a civil discussion. 

you are MTF its mean you are not male . ypu are female entrap in male body and yout problem is clash between your male hormon and your inner soul

 

Edited by Kalegthepsionicist
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Codex Alpha said:

Here's the problem.

As a man you can't do that. Everyone will perceive you as weak and immediately abandon you.

🙄???

idont understand what you mean .

I think people dont care are you melancholic male or pragmatic male, idk about your culture. but I think male is judge by what he achieved in his life

 

if you are lazy brat , immature *****, = weak male

 

 

 

Edited by Kalegthepsionicist
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Jester Shenanigans said:

That article is written by a woman who wouldnt know about mens mental health issues at all

 

 

yes that article is funny

the fact is personalitie is nothing todo with masculinity.

masculinity is more like interest, male like to compete,  love to have athletic body, love todo male stuff, etc

personalities came from 4 basic human personalities

https://psychologia.co/four-temperaments/

 

 

what I know narcisstic is drive by strong sanguin personalities want to get attention, want tobe worshipped.

Edited by Kalegthepsionicist
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Toxic masculinity is a root cause of poor mental health in men, the solution is not to double down on the red pills.

https://www.verywellmind.com/the-dangerous-mental-health-effects-of-toxic-masculinity-5073957

Men and women are not so different that intractable lines in the sand need be drawn, and accepting that men can, and should be, emotional or vulnerable is a hugely important step in improving the health and well being of the men in our lives.

masculinity is interest... lol

you cannot force me to love barbie doll, its nothing todo with personalities

therr are lot masculine female outthere but still female. not lgbt

 

Edited by Kalegthepsionicist
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, HeathcliffMontague said:

Being tough and resillient are commendable traits, and a part of what makes a man. A part.  Nobody's bulletproof. Some learn that the hard way.

They are also a part of what makes a woman.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Kalegthepsionicist said:

masculinity is interest... lol

you cannot force me to love barbie doll, its nothing todo with personalities

therr are lot masculine female outthere but still female. not lgbt

 

Gendered toys are absolute BS.

I have no love for Barbie either. Useless boring stick figure that's fiddly to dress and can't stand up. Had a box full of them, I enjoyed brushing their hair, but that's about it.

I actively played with star wars "dolls", train sets, computers, an absurd amount of Lego and a few stereotypical girls things. Was this because I was a masculine child? Nope! It's because those are the things I enjoyed and my parents loathed wasting money on stuff I would just ignore or get bored of (or destroy).

Toys are just toys.

The fun toys are the ones that excite and inspire a child to tell stories with, whatever suits them. The best toys are the ones an adult engages with and enjoys with the child.

 

Look at us now, here .. we're playing with virtual dress up dolls, playing house and building like Lego. SL is a toy box and we're all grown adults.

 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...