Sound reaching across the whole sim - why is this a thing?

Bekka83

I've been exploring main land on Linden streets and came across that parcel that has 2 generators placed on it. There was a constant buzzing sound coming from these generators that I could very  well hear in a distance of half a sim and still very slightly hear in a distance of a whole sim.

Is this a common thing in SL? I figure the owner may not even be aware of this reach. Now, if we were in an industrial themed zone with RP character this "feature" could very well make sense, but in this case it makes exploring on the streets completely annoying. While I'm gone half a minute later and won't see this place probably ever again, what chances do neighbors have to get rid of that sound in case of the typical argument "this is my land and I can do on my land what I want"? (I'm not talking about the possibility to that they can restrict sound to their own parcel, but the impact annoying sound has on a whole area where you are affected as soon as you use public transport).  Is this already considered "excessive" if you can hear it up to half a sim to a sim? (I personally would say of course). It must be a grey area because we're talking about sounds and people perceive sounds differently in the first place. It just astonishes me that I can hear sound from this far away in the first place and it makes me feel like there is an issue in the design. Shouldn't the sound falloff be much bigger? 

LL should have "Restrict gestures and object sounds to this parcel" checked by default. Or even as a non-optional choice. I don't see too many use cases where this would be unchecked. If it came as a default for sounds on parcel, then UNCHECKING it and then having annoying generator sounds on your parcel would warrant an Abuse Report.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

Or even as a non-optional choice.

They definitely would not do this.  LL actually put in ambiance sounds in Bellisseria -- birds, water, and a few other misc sounds.  Lots of folks leave the 'sound' thing unchecked because they want to hear the LL provided sounds.

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

They definitely would not do this.  LL actually put in ambiance sounds in Bellisseria -- birds, water, and a few other misc sounds.  Lots of folks leave the 'sound' thing unchecked because they want to hear the LL provided sounds.

I thought they referred to gesture sounds and object sounds made from objects on your property...

In any case the solution would be to separate region/parcel/LL sounds from ACTUAL gesture (created from avatars) and objects (placed by the owner/renter) of the parcel.

Solutions not abuse reports I would like any platform to gravitate to, first.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Codex Alpha said:

I thought they referred to gesture sounds and object sounds made from objects on your property...

Yeah, the setting applies to sounds coming in to your parcel and sounds going out from your parcel.   It has been commented by many folks that LL should make that 2 distinct settings.  Or better yet, always keep all parcel sounds in the parcel and only have a setting for whether or not you want to allow outside sounds in.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

SL19B has audio restricted to each small parcel, and so the place is very quiet and feels empty.

All I want to add here is that while you can restrict sounds to a parcel, you can't restrict media on mainland. I truly hope that LL can someday restrict media to a specific parcel, as this can be abused a lot more frequently, because so many of us like to watch things in-world.  I have had some help from Lindens about this topic (and they are always helpful about it) ... but the only real solution is A) contact the neighbor and ask them nicely to turn something off, B) turn it off yourself (if that device allows you to). You can (of course) remove the specific media stream from your own viewer or disable media but... on the topic of sounds leaking into parcels and making things cohesive, I just wish this was an option. Stepping off soapbox :)