~~HAPPY JUNETEENTH~~

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 765 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There wasn't an actual day when all slaves suddenly became free. Most were pretty isolated on plantations and rural farms. It took U.S. soldiers marching into the southern slave-holding states, going from place to place, to tell the slaves they were legally free.

From this AP article from 2020, https://apnews.com/article/virus-outbreak-galveston-racial-injustice-ap-top-news-us-news-b8ce1d6f0e8b0e7269a8c569ffd52389 :

When Union troops arrived in Galveston on June 19, 1865, Maj. Gen. Gordon Granger delivered General Order No. 3, which said: “The people of Texas are informed that, in accordance with a proclamation from the Executive of the United States, all slaves are free. This involves an absolute equality of personal rights and rights of property between former masters and slaves.”

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes...

Juneteenth (short for “June Nineteenth”) marks the day when federal troops arrived in Galveston, Texas in 1865 to take control of the state and ensure that all enslaved people be freed. The troops’ arrival came a full two and a half years after the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation. Juneteenth honors the end to slavery in the United States and is considered the longest-running African American holiday. On June 17, 2021, it officially became a federal holiday

• Like 3

I was going to add this to my post, but I'll put it here instead. De facto slavery still existed and still exists today in the US, because prisoners can be forced to work for little to no monetary compensation.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=89051115

https://innocenceproject.org/13th-amendment-slavery-prison-labor-angola-louisiana/

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Any sign yet that the southern states will start complying?

Did you know that the least diverse states are up north..Most of the country is pretty close, but the few that are in the behind are northern states, like 3 or 4 bad ones..

States like West Virginia , Maine,New Hampshire, Vermont.. Them old money states with all them old people just hanging around being old an covered in money an stuff.. hehehe

Although I'm not sure if West Virginia is an old money state.. Maybe just old.. hehehe

ETA: I just looked it up and Texas is number two in the U.S. in most diverse states with California being number one..

Pretty wild.:)

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Did you know that the least diverse states are up north..Most of the country is pretty close, but the few that are in the behind are northern states, like 3 or 4 bad ones..

States like West Virginia , Maine,New Hampshire, Vermont.. Them old money states with all them old people just hanging around being old an covered in money an stuff.. hehehe

Although I'm not sure if West Virginia is an old money state.. Maybe just old.. hehehe

Sundown Towns have been all over the US and the less dramatic but still marginalizing practice of Redlining neighborhoods to separate people by race still affects property values and available services today. 

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

ETA: I just looked it up and Texas is number two in the U.S. in most diverse states with California being number one..

Diversity does not mean equality...Texas ranked 45 in equality...

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings/opportunity/equality

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Probably mostly because both were once Mexico.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Diversity does not mean equality...Texas ranked 45 in equality...

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings/opportunity/equality

But it's a good start.. :)

Try to find it in the cities across the country or their outlining suburbs.. A lot are going to be throughout  and lined with certain groups with invisible borders.

Italian areas,Polish Areas, Latino Areas, Black, white, Irish and so on..

I know the area I'm from up north has only gotten worse because of people in power there, making sure things don't change.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Sundown Towns have been all over the US and the less dramatic but still marginalizing practice of Redlining neighborhoods to separate people by race still affects property values and available services today. 

We actually seen that happen before we moved down to Tennessee.. It was like a year and many of the people on the block put their houses up for sale.. All but this one old guy..

He had like the best yard on the block.. I mean his grass was soo soft, like better than carpet soft.. hehehe

He never told us to get off his lawn either.. He was pretty nice man and would tell you about the neighborhood.

We weren't the first ones on the block, but we actually got one of the houses that were selling because people were selling their homes because they thought the property values would drop..

It actually feels kind of neat to know at one time you had an impact on the property value where your dad was buying a house.. hehehehe

Hey dad remember when we were little and saved you all that money? *Holds out hand*

We didn't know what was going on at the time.. Just that new kids showed up now and then pretty quick.. hehehehe

Then we moved to Tenenssee and had to live in a camper until our house was done.. That really sucked.. It was a nice camper, but not after us living in it for a year. hehehe

• Like 3

I just think that it's not a good thing to wash one spot on the dog for fleas, when the whole dog has fleas.. That's all I'm getting at..

The whole red state vs blue state thing overshadows the problem and makes it more about votes than it does fixing anything.. Politicians aren't going to cure anything , we have to do it ourselves. If it were up to them they would keep us divided forever for their own benefit..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

Just going to drop this here, if you're an American, it's definitely worth a watch:

I'm with Persephone. That was excellent -- really well researched, packed with the direct citation and quotation from primary sources and contemporary documents, as well as actual case studies. AND entertaining. I learned a lot -- thanks for posting!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

When Union troops arrived in Galveston on June 19, 1865, Maj. Gen. Gordon Granger delivered General Order No. 3, which said: “The people of Texas are informed that, in accordance with a proclamation from the Executive of the United States, all slaves are free. This involves an absolute equality of personal rights and rights of property between former masters and slaves.”

..because the Galveston slaves were remote enough that word had not reached them yet. Most of the rest of the country knew already. 

I grew up near there, the history was taught to us in the 1970's in schools. Juneteenth was celebrated in Texas long before most of the country heard of it.

According to this article, what we were taught is technically one of the myths (that Texas and Galveston found out late because of the distance):

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/20/1105945119/four-enduring-myths-about-juneteenth-are-not-based-on-facts

According to the article, most people in Texas may have "known" about the Emancipation Proclamation, but there was no one there (Galveston) to enforce it prior to June 19.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 765 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.