Jump to content
  • 0

Left Clicking to Open Doors


Charolotte Caxton
 Share

Question

Hey, y'all. I did a little research and I didn't find the answer. I think I tried this years ago, but is there a way to walk through doors without left clicking them? The ones you need to click to open.

I was hoping maybe a setting or something?

If not that's cool, just thought I'd give it a try.

Edit: Or maybe what I was thinking was some sort of short cut key. 

Problem: Uses keyboard to navigate. Has to move hand from keyboard to mouse to open doors. Result is avatar has to stop moving. Effect is wasted time and physical movement (yeah).

I'm sure the designers have solved this by now, but if y'all have any suggestions or tips that would be very much appreciated. Thank you very much.

Ps, I didn't know which category to choose, it's kinda technical, kinda controls? 

Edit again: oh, and also the reason this is a question is cause it's my home and it gets tiresome going from room to room

Possible answer: Sorry, it's just the way it is.

Edited by Charolotte Caxton
Edit
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 1

It all depends on what sort of doors you have and how they were scripted.  In the early days, many SL doors were simply textured phantom prims. You didn't open them; you just walked through them. It was easy and completely unrealistic.  Since then, door technology has improved dramatically, so we have doors that open as slow or as fast as you want, ones that can auto-close, double doors that open together, doors that you can link to a structure, dog doors, sliding doors, revolving doors, doors that know which side you are coming from, doors that are actually teleporters, ....   and doors that will open on touch, on collision (with either the door itself or with an invisible doormat) and doors that open when they sense you coming.  Out of that great universe of doors, you can find at least one that does almost anything you'd like.  The catch is, of course, that when you buy a house the decision has already been made for you by the builder.  Unless the doors can be modified (and you have the skill to do it), you are pretty much stuck with them.  My advice is that if door style is high on your checklist, be sure to try out all the doors before you buy.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

It all depends on what sort of doors you have and how they were scripted.  In the early days, many SL doors were simply textured phantom prims. You didn't open them; you just walked through them. It was easy and completely unrealistic.  Since then, door technology has improved dramatically, so we have doors that open as slow or as fast as you want, ones that can auto-close, double doors that open together, doors that you can link to a structure, dog doors, sliding doors, revolving doors, doors that know which side you are coming from, doors that are actually teleporters, ....   and doors that will open on touch, on collision (with either the door itself or with an invisible doormat) and doors that open when they sense you coming.  Out of that great universe of doors, you can find at least one that does almost anything you'd like.  The catch is, of course, that when you buy a house the decision has already been made for you by the builder.  Unless the doors can be modified (and you have the skill to do it), you are pretty much stuck with them.  My advice is that if door style is high on your checklist, be sure to try out all the doors before you buy.

Thanks, Rolig. Yeah I peeked inside and there is some stuff. It's a mostly if not totally a mesh build so it's all linked or what not. 

It seems what I was trying to ask was, is there a setting, not even native to SL, where you can hit like, Z, instead of left click?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
6 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I don't think so. There's a section in Preferences called Controls, where you can change the settings for quite a few commands...but left click = touch isn't one of them.

I have another one of my genius ideas: what if they reverse the left and right mouse button functions (in Windows or whatever)?

..Brilliant!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 hour ago, Charolotte Caxton said:

t seems what I was trying to ask was, is there a setting, not even native to SL, where you can hit like, Z, instead of left click?

Nope, as Lindal says, that's not a function in the viewer or in the operating system software for your computer.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
7 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Nope, as Lindal says, that's not a function in the viewer or in the operating system software for your computer.

Thank you both. Figured as much but thought I would try. 

Hey, Love. What about foot pedals?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
6 minutes ago, Charolotte Caxton said:

Thank you both. Figured as much but thought I would try. 

Glad to help (or not, as the case may be).  It does occur to me that if you aren't annoyed by the aesthetics of a walk-through door, you could try just making each door phantom.  Be absolutely sure that the door is a separate prim, and only set it (not the rest of your house) to phantom. Personally, I don't see that as an acceptable solution, but if it appeals to you, give it a shot.  I assume that you have a backup copy of your house, just in case you do screw up, right?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
15 hours ago, Charolotte Caxton said:

Hey, y'all. I did a little research and I didn't find the answer. I think I tried this years ago, but is there a way to walk through doors without left clicking them? The ones you need to click to open.

Wulfie has the ultimate answer everyone should be using for their doors.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

My default interior doors are set to physics type none but also auto open for those who like to stand and wait for them to open, which some do. Some even like to Touch to open, which is the default for exterior doors. The key is having options. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
3 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

My default interior doors are set to physics type none but also auto open for those who like to stand and wait for them to open, which some do. Some even like to Touch to open, which is the default for exterior doors. The key is having options. 

I do love to stand there and they open for me. The front door I don’t mind opening. 

I love your builds, thank you for the reminder.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 6/19/2022 at 2:29 PM, Rolig Loon said:

It all depends on what sort of doors you have and how they were scripted.  In the early days, many SL doors were simply textured phantom prims. You didn't open them; you just walked through them. It was easy and completely unrealistic.  Since then, door technology has improved dramatically, so we have doors that open as slow or as fast as you want, ones that can auto-close, double doors that open together, doors that you can link to a structure, dog doors, sliding doors, revolving doors, doors that know which side you are coming from, doors that are actually teleporters, ....   and doors that will open on touch, on collision (with either the door itself or with an invisible doormat) and doors that open when they sense you coming.  Out of that great universe of doors, you can find at least one that does almost anything you'd like.  The catch is, of course, that when you buy a house the decision has already been made for you by the builder.  Unless the doors can be modified (and you have the skill to do it), you are pretty much stuck with them.  My advice is that if door style is high on your checklist, be sure to try out all the doors before you buy.

Rolig, I just reread this epic response. Love it, I went on a door journey in that small epic.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...