Happy Juneteenth!

4 hours ago, Vanessa Amethyst said:

Hope this is not taken the Wong way as a Non American the name "Juneteenth" is confusing why not use something more descriptive like emancipation day?

History. June 19th 1865 has been celebrated in Texas for many, many years. The "Emancipation Proclamation" was January 1, 1863. The June 1865 date is when Emancipation was finally enforced in Texas by a separate proclamation. Renaming the new June Federal holiday would probably take some effort, being a "new" holiday.

• Like 1

I don't get it.

June is the sixth month, so 'Juneteenth' should be the sixteenth, not the nineteenth.

3 minutes ago, Orwar said:

I don't get it.

June is the sixth month, so 'Juneteenth' should be the sixteenth, not the nineteenth.

Juneteenth is a federal holiday in the United States commemorating the emancipation of enslaved African Americans. Juneteenth marks the anniversary of the announcement of General Order No. 3 by Union Army general Gordon Granger on June 19, 1865, proclaiming freedom for enslaved people in Texas.[7]

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Orwar said:

I don't get it.

These are the days of the month that end in "-teenth": thirteenth, fourteenth, fifteenth, sixteenth, seventeenth, eighteenth, nineteenth. It is worth noting that the "19th" day of the month is the last day ending in "-teenth".  It could have gone either way, right (13th - first, 19th - last).

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

These are the days of the month that end in "-teenth": thirteenth, fourteenth, fifteenth, sixteenth, seventeenth, eighteenth, nineteenth. It is worth noting that the "19th" day of the month is the last day ending in "-teenth".  It could have gone either way, right (13th - first, 19th - last).

It's not the end of the word that confounds me, but how 'June' somehow is supposed to mean 'nine'. It should of course be called Septeenth since September is the 9th month.

.. Except September means 'the seventh month' since the Roman 10-month calendar had it as its 7th month (septem = 7 in Latin), so strictly it should be the Novemteenth to read out as the 'nineteenth' (Novem = nine in Latin). 

24 minutes ago, Orwar said:

It's not the end of the word that confounds me, but how 'June' somehow is supposed to mean 'nine'. It should of course be called Septeenth since September is the 9th month.

.. Except September means 'the seventh month' since the Roman 10-month calendar had it as its 7th month (septem = 7 in Latin), so strictly it should be the Novemteenth to read out as the 'nineteenth' (Novem = nine in Latin). 

It might not be logical (in Europe at least), but it sounds cute. It's memorable. Such is the way of so much in life.

Edited by Luna Bliss

36 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Juneteenth is not a "politically-charged topic" in the United States of America. It is a recognized Federal Holiday. 

Real talk - I liked it better before it became one. Back when nobody knew about it but those of us who celebrate it. 🤣 I'm not much of a holiday person in general, though. The disasters that arose out of lazy attempts to commercialize it were pretty entertaining at least! Target's the only store I saw that got it right (omg their web team has been on point this year). Their Pride page is great, too.

39 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

And we can continue to disagree over whether Father's Day was "downplayed" this year.

It had like a dozen different hashtags on Twitter and trended all weekend. Same as Mother's Day weekend. TV commercials, online/offline store sales up the wazoo, dedicated dad/kid co-streams on Twitch, the usual. It also doesn't keep the same date every year, so...

• Thanks 1