Just wondering...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 829 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone.I always come up with questions when I should be sleeping.Does anyone think sl will ever go vr?

I recently visited science center.I flew like a bird.Omg it was amazing,so realistic.Just made me wonder,think it would be way cool in sl.Another feature was a virtual sandbox,it was more of a motion detection thing.But the features were incredibly beautiful.No,I don't get out much.😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

From a usage perspective - The way I use SL, I've got multiple windows open and am doing other things, as well as attending to RL things. It would be hard to carve out a time for full immersion VR, which is why I've never more than taken a quick look at VR on other platforms, gone "oh neat.." and never touched it again. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Akane Nacht said:

From a usage perspective - The way I use SL, I've got multiple windows open and am doing other things, as well as attending to RL things. It would be hard to carve out a time for full immersion VR.

^^^ this ^^^

Edited by Jordan Whitt
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, junique Tigerfish said:

Hello everyone.I always come up with questions when I should be sleeping.Does anyone think sl will ever go vr?

I recently visited science center.I flew like a bird.Omg it was amazing,so realistic.Just made me wonder,think it would be way cool in sl.Another feature was a virtual sandbox,it was more of a motion detection thing.But the features were incredibly beautiful.No,I don't get out much.😀

They tried that once already. Didn't work out too well.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, junique Tigerfish said:

Thank you everyone for your input.Reading your replies I have to agree with each and everyone's opinions.It would be a total hot mess.

This is a little off topic, but, yes, those middle of the night questions that pop up when you need to sleep are the bane of a good night's sleep 😄 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, junique Tigerfish said:

Thank you everyone for your input.Reading your replies I have to agree with each and everyone's opinions.It would be a total hot mess.

Well on the forums most seem to be anti VR but there are people working on Firestorm forks that support it for S/L and Opensim. https://gsgrid.de/ The 25% of people who do not do well with it because of attendant motion sickness, tend to be quite vocal about how much they hate it and how it would never work for S/L but I suspect that as hardware prices come down and it gets better support, more will eventually try it at least. https://www.lifewire.com/how-new-tech-could-prevent-vr-motion-sickness-5181084

https://virtualspeech.com/blog/motion-sickness-vr

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

I know EXACTLY what you mean...

"One sheep .. Two sheep .. Cow, turtle, duck - Old McDonald had a farm, heeey, Macarena!"
- Trying to fall asleep with ADHD.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, Akane Nacht said:

From a usage perspective - The way I use SL, I've got multiple windows open and am doing other things, as well as attending to RL things. It would be hard to carve out a time for full immersion VR, which is why I've never more than taken a quick look at VR on other platforms, gone "oh neat.." and never touched it again. 

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Well on the forums most seem to be anti VR but there are people working on Firestorm forks that support it for S/L and Opensim. https://gsgrid.de/ The 25% of people who do not do well with it because of attendant motion sickness, tend to be quite vocal about how much they hate it and how it would never work for S/L but I suspect that as hardware prices come down and it gets better support, more will eventually try it at least. https://www.lifewire.com/how-new-tech-could-prevent-vr-motion-sickness-5181084

https://virtualspeech.com/blog/motion-sickness-vr

This is a very good point Arielle.Also in certain instances I can see how it would not work or even be necessary.My experience only lasted for 2 minutes.Had to put feet around a support and I did find it hard to remember where they were.Laid on your belly and arms were supported by "wings",could move faster go up and down and turn.And of course the helmet.Was cool and would do it again.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

So do you have a headset and so experienced VR outside SL?

Luna I have no gear.This was an outing to a science center,all their equipment.I did check out some different vr at a mall years ago.Rollercoaster ride but it was a completely different thing,no interaction,same experience for all.The science center one is dependent on what you do.So if you don't fly you crash.If you don't steer yourself you crash.They are trying to teach respect for nature with a birds eye view.Have a wonderful day hope this answers your question.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, junique Tigerfish said:

LL did experiment with making SL VR, getting the headset to work and react to movement isn't the hard part.

The project was abandoned for technical reasons. VR really needs a constant frame rate with low latency to stand a sliver of a chance at not inducing vomiting. SL could not do this.

LL went off and made Sansar as a VR SL 2.0 and missed the point of what SL (and virtual worlds in general) were about and who they were for, trainwrecked everything, sold Sansar and then sold themselves.

This doesn't preclude SL ever being VR, or someone resurrecting the work that was done to add VR support to SL, but as it stands .. people aren't fond of blowing chunks.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, junique Tigerfish said:

Luna I have no gear.This was an outing to a science center,all their equipment.I did check out some different vr at a mall years ago.Rollercoaster ride but it was a completely different thing,no interaction,same experience for all.The science center one is dependent on what you do.So if you don't fly you crash.If you don't steer yourself you crash.They are trying to teach respect for nature with a birds eye view.Have a wonderful day hope this answers your question.

I love VR, and virtual reality is so much more beautiful within VR because you feel like you're really there!  I love full immersion, at least part of the time.  So I do hope, one day, but perhaps in vain, that VR could work well in SL.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

VR works in SL. Unless you are driving, flying or sailing in first person view, the camera movement is slow or completely static. Imagine sitting on a couch while watching a little dog running circles in front of you. Lots of movement but your head barely moves. Because of the relative lack of head movement in third person view, the high fps requirement is not that important. Avatars look really different when viewed in VR. Everyone looks a lot thinner. Like little Figma figures.. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

"One sheep .. Two sheep .. Cow, turtle, duck - Old McDonald had a farm, heeey, Macarena!"
- Trying to fall asleep with ADHD.

That's much better than my REM dreams. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to remember every detail.

But yeah... that.

misc-sleep.jpg

want-sleep-but-brain-wont-stop-talking-i

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

VR works in SL. Unless you are driving, flying or sailing in first person view, the camera movement is slow or completely static. Imagine sitting on a couch while watching a little dog running circles in front of you. Lots of movement but your head barely moves. Because of the relative lack of head movement in third person view, the high fps requirement is not that important. Avatars look really different when viewed in VR. Everyone looks a lot thinner. Like little Figma figures.. 

Makes total sense Bree.Thank you.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 829 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.