Prim Budgeting, Minor bug with total visible triangles in Show Rending Info,

Gearsawe Stonecutter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4692 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12.jpg

First Image shows about 840,000 triangle with the 100 Hollow/Twisted/Pathcut Torus. If I walk forward thru them there are then 1,439,000 triangles being report but they are all behind me. This number will not change unless I leave the sim  or turn around to view the updated LOD. So if this number is being used to figure out budgeting it may be very skewed. It tracks the object counting it at it last visible LOD. So this number can be far from accurate. As seen here. 1.4 Million triangle are not visible!

1.So now does this mean there is a large amount of data being stored which may not need to be since it is not visible?

2. Is this worth of a Bug Report?

3. Or are the numbers true and misunderstood?

4. Are they supposed to be number of triangles in the object buffer not visible? Same goes for Scene Stats the number is labeled as "visible" but it is from from that.

Interesting. There is another thing that affects the triangle number; that's the delay of LOX switching. Looking at a field of 1200 pipe meshes, They often didn't change when expected. I could be looking at them all in LOD3, then zoom out an d back in to the same view and now they were all LOD2. This "hysteresis" (different values of a dependent variable depending on direction of change of the controlling parameter)  could have a profound effect on observations. In this case it was the difference between 830,000 triangles and 1,777,000 triangles! (or 330,00 and 880,000 at a different renderVolumeLODFactor).

So basically from what I understand now you would have to turn your draw distance up to 256, stand in the center of the sim, slowly turn around 360 to making sure everything changes to its correct LOD. Take the number of visible triangles then multiply that but (view angle/ 360) to get and average number of triangles in the view from that given point. Default view angle is 120 degrees (Ctrl-9). I tried to an area select but that did not work out to well.

Or visible simple means the number of triangles in a 360 degree view not visibly in front of you.

• Lindens

Gearsawe Stonecutter wrote:

So basically from what I understand now you would have to turn your draw distance up to 256, stand in the center of the sim, slowly turn around 360 to making sure everything changes to its correct LOD. Take the number of visible triangles then multiply that but (view angle/ 360) to get and average number of triangles in the view from that given point. Default view angle is 120 degrees (Ctrl-9). I tried to an area select but that did not work out to well.

Or visible simple means the number of triangles in a 360 degree view not visibly in front of you.

Bingo -- "visible" in the render info display and statistics console means the total number of triangles at the currently calculated LoD for all objects the viewer is aware of.  Since the viewer only calculates LoD for objects that are onscreen, you'll need to do a full 360 turn.  There's also some error introduced by the interest list (the simulator will tell the viewer to unload some objects at certain distances based on size), but I'm ignoring that for now because the same error exists with prim builds, which is what the triangle budget is based on, so it should be a wash.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4692 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.