Would there be any way to export an avatar in it's entirety as a single sculpture?

MrBalloone

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 672 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am wondering if there is any way to export an active SL Avatar (including attachments) into a Sculpture. Essentially What I want is to export the actual shape of the avatar. Not the 3D objects themselves, the shape they create together. I have looked into stuff like Avastar, but it looks like it only exports the (annoyingly unremovable) Human base that my avatar is built over. Which for me, is useless, since my avatar doesn't make use of it (it is purposely made invisible because otherwise, it conflicts with the rest of my avatar) So what I want to end up with is a sculpture of my avatar, as it looks. Just the collective shapes put together. Like the simplify tool in Autodesk Inventor (which if you don't know, takes an assembly (which is made up of multiple individual parts) and recreates it as one single part). I Do a fair amount of CAD work, but I certainly ain't able to recreate the very complex Shape of my avatar from scratch. I have tried and failed to find sources of learning, on how to create such complex shapes. I want to be able to have a sculpture of my complete SL avatar, that I can then smooth out, Rig and then export to things like Unity. I want an accurate 3D representation of the Character I have created. My SL avatar is the closest thing I have to that, so it makes sense to start from there.

I Don't think it'd be illegal, as all it'd do is effectively trace the outline/surface of my entire avatar as a whole, and export that as one single sculpture. My avatar is essentially a collection of various parts sewn together. Most of them aren't full perm, but they all have modify perms. Most of them just don't have Transfer rights. They all have copy and modify rights, with mostly scripts being no-mod (which is fine, I don't want them anyways, I just want the shape. All else, I will have to to do myself). I certainly could try and reach out to the creators of most of my avatar's parts, Although some of the parts are effectively orphaned works, since the creators aren't on SL anymore and have no point of contact.

Would there be any tool or program that'd be able to do this? If not, would it be theoretically possible to do this?

(if there is no program, but it is possible, I may try and create such a program)

there are a number of primitive tools like Monster Mash which can create a rudimentary 3D object from 2D photos, which can be taken into Blender to edit/improve

a vid showing Monster Mash to Blender is here:

Edited by Mollymews
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 672 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.