Jump to content

Deploy Plan for the Week of 2022-06-13


Mazidox Linden
 Share

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 768 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

  • Lindens

Second Life Server and Events

The Main Channels (SLS + Event regions) will be restarted on Tuesday, 2022-06-14, from 06:30 - 11:30 PDT, with no version change.

Second Life RC

The Release Candidate channels will be restarted on Wednesday, 2022-06-15, from 07:00 - 09:30 PDT.  The RC channel regions were all already on 2022-05-27.572237 and will simply be restarted to the same version.

 

  • Thanks 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Mazidox Linden said:

Second Life Server and Events

The Main Channels (SLS + Event regions) will be restarted on Tuesday, 2022-06-14, from 06:30 - 11:30 PDT, with no version change. [...]

Question: why restarting the Main Channel if regions stay on the same version, and if they are healthy? Any regions showing issues can be restarted, if those who encounter problems file a ticket requesting it. Those regions were restarted a week ago... Unless there is something you're not telling us. 😉

Edited by MBeatrix
typo correction
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MBeatrix said:

Question: why restarting the Main Channel if regions stay on the same version, and if they are healthy? Any regions showing issues can be restarted, if those who encounter problems file a ticket requesting it. Those regions were restarted a week ago... Unless there is something you're not telling us. 😉

Probably because there would be too many tickets to manage.

Servers generally get less stable the longer they are running. Most servers and the software they run are rarely completely water-tight and due to human error by programmers or hardware error can have memory leaks and other issues such as corruption that accumulate and degrade service.

Restarting servers on a schedule is pretty standard stuff, it is a form of preventative maintenance. It's always going to result in more up-time if the server restarts on a schedule than waiting until the person who runs the sim notices/cares to report it.. don't forget not all sims are being monitored by their owners constantly.

There's a debate to be had about how long between restarts though. Personally I reckon LL could get away with once a fortnight instead of once a week :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Lindens
4 hours ago, MBeatrix said:

Question: why restarting the Main Channel if regions stay on the same version, and if they are healthy? Any regions showing issues can be restarted, if those who encounter problems file a ticket requesting it. Those regions were restarted a week ago... Unless there is something you're not telling us. 😉

There actually is a difference! When you restart a region, you just restart the region. When we do rolling restarts, we restart the machine* the regions are running on. Helps clean out lingering memory issues and it has that nice new-simhost smell.

 

* Okay, this isn't technically true because it's The Cloud, but it's basically true.

  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mazidox Linden said:

There actually is a difference! When you restart a region, you just restart the region. When we do rolling restarts, we restart the machine* the regions are running on. Helps clean out lingering memory issues and it has that nice new-simhost smell.

 

* Okay, this isn't technically true because it's The Cloud, but it's basically true.

Does The Cloud have an odor? 💩☁️🪰

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Extrude Ragu said:

Probably because there would be too many tickets to manage.

I have to agree it might be a good reason but the Lindens may be out of luck on that.

3 hours ago, Extrude Ragu said:

Servers generally get less stable the longer they are running. Most servers and the software they run are rarely completely water-tight and due to human error by programmers or hardware error can have memory leaks and other issues such as corruption that accumulate and degrade service.

Restarting servers on a schedule is pretty standard stuff, it is a form of preventative maintenance. It's always going to result in more up-time if the server restarts on a schedule than waiting until the person who runs the sim notices/cares to report it.. don't forget not all sims are being monitored by their owners constantly.

All true. But restarts are disruptive and should only happen when needed.

3 hours ago, Extrude Ragu said:

There's a debate to be had about how long between restarts though. Personally I reckon LL could get away with once a fortnight instead of once a week :)

Yes, the 10 days "rule" or so should be enough to keep the grid running without major issues. I'm excluding here event regions, as some even need to be restarted on a daily basis.

Anyway, what @Mazidox Linden explained may fall into the more or less "good reason" category. 🙂

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Does The Cloud have an odor?

Yes.  It tends to smell like hot castor oil and poo because of heat-induced outgassing of organic solvents used to clean circuit boards.

Edited by Ardy Lay
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 768 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...