Jump to content
  • 0

Can I temporily stop "derender" in a region.


kahila Eiren
 Share

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 767 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I manage a sim.  Recently we've added hunts to our market.  Unfortunately, some people are "derendering" prims in order to find the hunt prims.  We love the idea of having a hunt.  But, when you have people who cheat so badly, its makes it bad for everyone.  I would like to "uncheck" derender (if possible) for the time of the hunt.  Then turn it back on afterwards.  Is this possible?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
21 minutes ago, kahila Eiren said:

I manage a sim.  Recently we've added hunts to our market.  Unfortunately, some people are "derendering" prims in order to find the hunt prims.  We love the idea of having a hunt.  But, when you have people who cheat so badly, its makes it bad for everyone.  I would like to "uncheck" derender (if possible) for the time of the hunt.  Then turn it back on afterwards.  Is this possible?

No

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
57 minutes ago, kahila Eiren said:

I manage a sim.  Recently we've added hunts to our market.  Unfortunately, some people are "derendering" prims in order to find the hunt prims.  We love the idea of having a hunt.  But, when you have people who cheat so badly, its makes it bad for everyone.  I would like to "uncheck" derender (if possible) for the time of the hunt.  Then turn it back on afterwards.  Is this possible?

Unless your hunts are the type where the first person to find the item gets the prize or something where the first person to find all items gets a special prize, how does the method one person uses for hunting impact anyone else?   i.e. why "when you have people who cheat so badly, its makes it bad for everyone?"  Not to mention, who says derendering anything is 'cheating'?

Not sure you realize, but there are a few ways that folks can make the hunting easier without using Derender.  Using Wireframe can often make it easier to find the object.  If the items are named in a similar way or created by someone that isn't the primary creator of other things at the location, folks can use the Area Search feature.  There are likely other methods that I'm not thinking of at the moment, but it all really comes down to "who cares HOW someone goes about hunting for something?"

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

If you want to make your hunt harder there are ways to do this, but what would be the purpose or net result? It's not cheating if anyone can use a tool, such as Wireframe, Derender or Area Search. 

To defeat Derender, one option would be to hide decoy objects inside of objects that could be derendered. The downside of this tactic is that it uses extra prims for no other purpose than to irritate people who use derender. To defeat Wireframe, use a hunt object that's a simple box prim with few vertices. To defeat Area Search, rename your hunt objects with a variety of names or even just "object" and have some of them be created by your alts or friends.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
10 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

If you want to make your hunt harder there are ways to do this, but what would be the purpose or net result? It's not cheating if anyone can use a tool, such as Wireframe, Derender or Area Search. 

To defeat Derender, one option would be to hide decoy objects inside of objects that could be derendered. The downside of this tactic is that it uses extra prims for no other purpose than to irritate people who use derender. To defeat Wireframe, use a hunt object that's a simple box prim with few vertices. To defeat Area Search, rename your hunt objects with a variety of names or even just "object" and have some of them be created by your alts or friends.

I've noticed a few stores lately have hunt objects that name themselves randomly after other items in the area. I'm sure it's a script you can buy somewhere. So the hunt prim might name itself after a nearby tree or whatever. I've even had them rename themselves while I was unpacking them at home, taking on the names of stuff I owned.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
Just now, BookishMelinoe said:

I've noticed a few stores lately have hunt objects that name themselves randomly after other items in the area. I'm sure it's a script you can buy somewhere. So the hunt prim might name itself after a nearby tree or whatever. I've even had them rename themselves while I was unpacking them at home, taking on the names of stuff I owned.

That would be annoying if you're newly rezzed hunt item moves while you're Editing it or if you can't see it for whatever reason. You pull out Area Search to find it, but it's not called the same thing as it is in your inventory. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
12 hours ago, BookishMelinoe said:

I've noticed a few stores lately have hunt objects that name themselves randomly after other items in the area

another one for hunt providers, is to change the positions of the hunt items on some random cycle

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
20 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

That would be annoying if you're newly rezzed hunt item moves while you're Editing it or if you can't see it for whatever reason. You pull out Area Search to find it, but it's not called the same thing as it is in your inventory. 

Yep! I almost deleted something I wanted to keep, because I'd taken it back into my inventory and mistook it for an extra copy of one of my pieces of furniture.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

we're really not trying to make the hunt "harder".  What we were doing was giving away a "grand prize" to the avatar who found the most "hunt" items.  As you can imagine, 
hunts and other types of events is to bring people to your sim.  We had one avatar come and "found" the most hunt items in about 30 minutes.   So, in this instance derendering was a bit unfair.  We always want our events to be fun and fair.  But, that appears to be impossible.  Thank you all for your input.  We're working on a script that we hope can help.  And, when asked, the person who technically "won" the hunt, confessed to their method.  

Molly Mews, we have the hunt items spawning around the sim.  Now, since we don't want them hidden in a post or wall, we "designate" the position, but it's still random.

Bookish, thank you, I'll look for that script.  Renaming them something random would help a lot.

Persephone!!!  Baby, you're the BOMB!!  Thank you!!  I wonder if we could use a mesh prim with only one side?  Excellent idea!!

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 767 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...