Does SL hate Macs altogether?

LilithAmadea

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4345 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I currently own a MacBook Pro that used to play SL very well.  Now, with the most recent update, I have been recieving DNS errors and have not been able to log in for quite some time.  Will there be a Mac Friendly viewer for the Mac anytime soon?  Or is that out of the question?

5 answers to this question

No, SL doesn't hate Macs, but there is a DNS problem that seems to hit Mac users in particular. See https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-25627 and consider adding your vote. Meanwhile see the solution here: http://neilrobinson.wordpress.com/2008/05/19/a-fix-for-dns-errors/.

Basically, it amounts to adding the following additional DNS servers to your DNS settings in Network settings under System Preferences:

• Like 1

SL does run on mac's ...at least for me. I got the development viewer running on a white maobook intel (2009 ) 310 nvidia. Ran well. ( I can't remember the exact version but i think it ws around 2.6) When the osx version "lion" arrives in july... Upgrade to it. That perhaps will solve your problems. And give you alot of mac specfic features!

I am on a Macbook..... i tried the DNS addition as per the Windows answer... go to the Apple icon.... click system preferences.... click network.... go to the DNS tab.

Write down the current DNS number.  Click the '' + '' sign at the bottom.... put in the DNS number you wrote down.

Click the '' + '' sign again and add the next DNS number... and repeat for the other DNS number that were 

given in the Windows fix.  Accept or OK it.... close it.  I clicked ''Apply'' on the Syst. Pref screen.

then go and try to run the viewer.  I was able to run the Firestorm viewer one ABOVE the beta (first) version.  I have 

NEVER been able to run that.  HIP HIP HOORAY.  IT WORKED.  

Thank you so much.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4345 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.