From Blender into SL - Faces Disapearing

Raena Parx

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 691 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi. Blender is really new to me but I"ve been watching several tutorial and having a lot of fun with it.  I made a very simple cabinet with one unlinked drawer.  I've added color faces, unwrapped it, applied all tranformations, decimated it, not necessarily in that order lol.  When in blender you can see all the faces, it's low vertices  (only 246),.  But for some reason when preparing to upload into SL, the preveiw shows missing faces. And when I actually did do the upload, sure enough those faces were missing.

When I go to upload I select I generate normals, checkmark include textures, and set physics for lowest.  The calculations show 2.080 Land impact and L$12 upload fee, which seems pretty normal. 

I attached two photo. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong.?  Thank you in advance.

1_prep for SL.jpg

2_trying to upload.jpg

Hi :)

Sounds like it could be inverted face normals.

Check out this short video on how to check face normal direction and how to fix if some are inverted.

Best is to work with Viewport Shading > Options > Backface Culling checked.

Edited by Aquila Kytori
  • Like 2

Note to the OP -- unless the new versions of Blender "fixed" this problem (and I am doubting that or there wouldn't be a video in 2.8 :D -- SOMETIMES it isn't YOU. Sometimes it is Blender.   If you always have backface culling checked you can see when there is an issue and most times asking Blender to recalculate the normals with solve this issues. 

It is rare (for me anyway) to have to fix things by hand. But now and then depending on the complexity of the build it IS a triangle by triangle chore.  Your build is simple so it should be very easy to fix.  Sometime Blender just gets confused.  BUT when you are learning it is most often "you". 

:SwingingFriends:

• Like 1

Thank you Aquila and Chic for your help. That was the problem exactly.  The video helped tremendously! Once I fixed the backface culling, it uploaded perfectly.  The more I get into blender the more I realize I've only touched the tip of the iceberg. But WOW...so many cool tips and tricks to make things easier.  Now if I can just figure out how to get the beautiful texture qualities (light, gloss, etc.) to upload, that'll be great - that's my next learning curve lol.

Thank you both again, I appreciate your help!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 691 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.