Mesh physics breaks on sim restart

Suzanne Weiger

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 692 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been making mesh in SL for many years, but have only recently begun creating mesh physics for my houses. I had previously done many builds with simple prim physics models, but my builds have become increasingly complex and so I've taken the leap. I have had a problem where after a sim is restarted the mesh physics get broken, as if it were solid after the restart is completed. When I rez back into the house the physics push me out beyond the boundary of the mesh. The issue is easily fixed however by simply right clicking on the mesh and selecting it for editing which fixes the problem immediately.

Now you may ask, "why if its so easily fixed should I need to ask this question?" First, I want to find out what I am doing wrong bc i've not seen this issue documented as I have experienced in the forums and secondly, I intend to sell my homes and I do not want every buyer to be messaging me when they experience the problem (it should be right before I sell).

I create my physics models using planes to minimally create the boundaries of collision. i simplify them as much as i possibly can, but cannot identify the problem. I've uploaded two different builds several times with tweaks to my physics models without success at eliminating this issue.

Can anyone shed any light on this problem? I can share more info, part of the problem with fixing this is that my sim is only restarted one or two weeks so its difficult to debug and try to recreate the problem. Thank you all!!

• Like 1

I had exactly the same problem in a different context last week. @arton Rotaru suggested the correct solution for me: 

As he said in response to my question about how to fix it ..  

"Unfortunately it would require a re-upload of the mesh, where you have to press the Analyze button to decompose the physics mesh into hulls." 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Suzanne Weiger said:

I have been making mesh in SL for many years, but have only recently begun creating mesh physics for my houses. I had previously done many builds with simple prim physics models, but my builds have become increasingly complex and so I've taken the leap. I have had a problem where after a sim is restarted the mesh physics get broken, as if it were solid after the restart is completed. When I rez back into the house the physics push me out beyond the boundary of the mesh. The issue is easily fixed however by simply right clicking on the mesh and selecting it for editing which fixes the problem immediately.

Now you may ask, "why if its so easily fixed should I need to ask this question?" First, I want to find out what I am doing wrong bc i've not seen this issue documented as I have experienced in the forums and secondly, I intend to sell my homes and I do not want every buyer to be messaging me when they experience the problem (it should be right before I sell).

I create my physics models using planes to minimally create the boundaries of collision. i simplify them as much as i possibly can, but cannot identify the problem. I've uploaded two different builds several times with tweaks to my physics models without success at eliminating this issue.

Can anyone shed any light on this problem? I can share more info, part of the problem with fixing this is that my sim is only restarted one or two weeks so its difficult to debug and try to recreate the problem. Thank you all!!

I'm afraid I don't have a satisfying answer to this. There is a long standing issue with some houses that behave like what you described. It's reported in BUG-2784 which isn't public. The bug discription can be read in https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-7504 , though. (See Whirlys comment)

Another thing to know is, with triangle based (not analyzed) physics shapes, when you link a door, or window to it, that has a rotation script with llTargetOmega/TARGET_OMEGA the effect will be the same. The physics get solid after triggering the target omega function untill you rightclick the structure. So for houses on which you want linked doors rotating smooth with omega, it's best to analyze the physics during upload. Then the target omega issue is fixed at least.

Unfortunately analyzing the physics does not resolve the issue you are experiencing with the region restarts. It's a mystery that hasn't been solved yet.

I would give it a try analyzing it, though.

Edited by arton Rotaru

I have what is possibly a silly set of questions, mostly musing...

1) When the physics is misbehaving, does rescaling the building slightly larger fix it?

2) If so, what altitude is this happening at? Does it happen at ground level?

Basically, could part of the physics be on the cusp of the 0.5m dimension limit? If so, does it get worse with the distance from origin that we often see with mesh due to the quantisation?

3 hours ago, arton Rotaru said:

Another thing to know is, with triangle based (not analyzed) physics shapes, when you link a door, or window to it, that has a rotation script with llTargetOmega/TARGET_OMEGA the effect will be the same. The physics get solid after triggering the target omega function untill you rightclick the structure. So for houses on which you want linked doors rotating smooth with omega, it's best to analyze the physics during upload. Then the target omega issue is fixed at least.

@polysail has been chasing that bug doggedly https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-225742

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 692 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.