1 second Orb timing, is it necessary

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 843 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

19 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

For that matter, I don't know how any of that works above 4096 now.

I tested it. I created a cube, sat on it, and set it go up to 5027m. It went up but only the maximum - 4096m. I got off it, and set it up to 5000m but it didn't move.

So we can't put object above 4096. We can go up and up, but we can't set objects above 4096m.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Nope, it just allowed you to fly above the "maximum" height, and also to fly faster than normal.

I never had any height restrictions with the Carbon Rod. Not that I remember anyway, BUT my memory is not something that should be relied on. I'm more inclined to accept what you say about flight height restrictions than what I may or may not remember.

1 minute ago, Phil Deakins said:

I never had any height restrictions with the Carbon Rod. Not that I remember anyway, BUT my memory is not something that should be relied on. I'm more inclined to accept what you say about flight height restrictions than what I may or may not remember.

Possibly the Carbon Rod gave you the same "higher height" abilities as the flight feather. 😉

Anyway, my clear memory is that without using a "flight enhancer", you would fly up slower and slower then finally stop (way before our current limits).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I tested it. I created a cube, sat on it, and set it go up to 5027m. It went up but only the maximum - 4096m. I got off it, and set it up to 5000m but it didn't move.

So we can't put object above 4096. We can go up and up, but we can't set objects above 4096m.

Always seemed to be a humorous way of doing things! (Sit on the thing, and change its height.)

9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Nope, it just allowed you to fly above the "maximum" height, and also to fly faster than normal.

i can't remember now exactly but am pretty sure Flight Feather and the other flight assists got invented because we could only fly ourselves up to 256.  To go higher without a flight assist we had to use a warp teleporter, or sit a box and set Z to 256 or more. Once we got up there, we could set a LM tho and be able to teleport to there using the LM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

i can't remember now exactly but am pretty sure Flight Feather and the other flight assists got invented because we could only fly ourselves up to 256.  To go higher without a flight assist we had to use a warp teleporter, or sit a box and set Z to 256 or more. Once we got up there, we could set a LM tho and be able to teleport to there using the LM

Side-effect: you could get up there via LM etc., but without the flight assist, you couldn't fly once you got up there! 🙂

17 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Always seemed to be a humorous way of doing things! (Sit on the thing, and change its height.)

i still do this today when i want to go way up and I haven't got any LM.  Still do as well when putting up a sky platform. Rez the prim(s) on the ground, fit to the parcel boundary. Sit and change the Z. woosh!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

Some devices (I don't like the word 'orb' for them because they are not all orbs) allow the extremely fine setting of the area(s) to protect. I know because I make and sell them.

Many years ago I was impressed by a forum regular's post that all he wanted to do is protect his sex bed. He used an early version of my security device with which you could set the distance covered - protecting a spherical shape. Not the perfect shape but it worked for him. In recent years, my devices allow you to set the protected area so fine, that you can protect against anyone lying horizontally on a bed, but allow them to stand on it without a problem. You can even protect something as small as a single or pair of poseballs.

So there are devices that can easily protect any area, such as the suggestion you replied to - the house plus 1m all round.

Incidentally, setting a precise area is as easy as clicking a menu button to rez a semi-transparent box, moving and stretching it to enclose the space you want to protect (from extremely tiny to 64x64x64m), clicking another menu button, and then deleting the box. For spaces that are not box-shaped, do the same thing more than once to create the shape you want. It really is very easy. I would agree than not everyone is fully familiar with editing an object's shape, but it's very easy and, with a little practise, anyone can do it.

I am happy to hear you making that. I was search one with that accurate protection last few years. I was hard to get one or I was not sure whether it can be done by the words description on MP. So I am still using my old land protector. Setting up of it was not a happy experience. 

The first "security orb" was a scripted device that used physics to "orbit" an avatar.  Residents didn't have any control over land at the time.  The device wasn't named "orb" for being a sphere.

• Thanks 5

Just now, Milissa Rossini said:

I am happy to hear you making that. I was search one with that accurate protection last few years. I was hard to get one or I was not sure whether it can be done by the words description on MP. So I am still using my old land protector. Setting up of it was not a happy experience. 

If you want have a look at it, there's an LM to the store in my inworld profile. If you go there, you can go round the demonstrations, and get a fully functional demo version, which does everything except remove people from the land (it's the SpaceGuard I've described).

Or I can send you the demo inworld if you prefer.

I don't think there is a suitable alternative method of doing that.

yes is the most suitable way to be sure that we are within our boundary

a less suitable way which can be done when we understand where our parcel boundaries are and our parcel is a regular shape, is that we know where our parcel center point is. So we can rez a prim in the sky, set its XY to the centerpoint then set the size. But yes we do have to know what the center point is to do this and is best done when we know exactly what that is

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

The first "security orb" was a scripted device that used physics to "orbit" an avatar.  Residents didn't have any control over land at the time.  The device wasn't named "orb" for being a sphere.

Ohhh. Thank you for that. I always assumed that 'orb' was about its spherical shape. I think that's the way it's understood now.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

i still do this today when i want to go way up and I haven't got any LM.  Still do as well when putting up a sky platform. Rez the prim(s) on the ground, fit to the parcel boundary. Sit and change the Z. woosh!

It works better if you make a literal "WHOOSH!" sound while doing it.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Mollymews said:

a less suitable way which can be done when we understand where our parcel boundaries are and our parcel is a regular shape, is that we know where our parcel center point is. So we can rez a prim in the sky, set its XY to the centerpoint then set the size. But yes we do have to know what the center point is to do this and is best done when we know exactly what that is

On sloping ground, that may often be the best way.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

Makes complete sense, pages ago I either commented (or thought of it), "You can't spell 'orbit' without 'orb'!"

6 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

Hmm..since parcels are never round, wouldn't it make sense for certain llFunction() calls, and thereby "orbs", to only work within the actual boundary given by the (shape of the) parcels?

OMG that felt like an original thought! 

Can't be.

Edited by Love Zhaoying

5 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

then Luc Aubret invented the blitzer and the world was never the same again

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Hmm..since parcels are never round, wouldn't it make sense for certain llFunction() calls, and thereby "orbs", to only work within the actual boundary given by the (shape of the) parcels?

Can't be.

You're right. It's not an original thought :)

AGENT_LIST_PARCEL and AGENT_LIST_REGION are options when getting a list of agents ( llGetAgentList() ) to check for trespassing. So a parcel-shaped section of the parcel column can be protected, without any need for calculations as to where the agent is with respect to the parcel and its shape.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Can't be.

Was a limitation of llSensor. Didn't have the parcel etc av sensing things then. So not used the orig approach in ages.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You're right. It's not an original thought :)

AGENT_LIST_PARCEL and AGENT_LIST_REGION are options when getting a list of agents ( llGetAgentList () ) to check for trespassing.

Makes you wonder why people complain about getting bounced when trying to navigate various waters, etc.  Either a) the script used isn't written that way, or b) the parcel extends into the navigable water.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 843 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.