ANY Tips on Advertising Land & Houses for Rent and/or Sale?

PrueBowers

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 661 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi...I currently use advertising platforms such as Marketplace, Parcel "Show Place in Search", and popular sim advertising signs, which have been OK but quite time consuming, and I have tried classified adds that I have found pretty much useless. Does anyone have any other suggestions for advertising land and houses for rent or sale? I am looking for some methods that may give a very broad reach ... perhaps there are SL groups that are worth trying? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, PrueBowers said:

Hi...I currently use advertising platforms such as Marketplace, Parcel "Show Place in Search", and popular sim advertising signs, which have been OK but quite time consuming, and I have tried classified adds that I have found pretty much useless. Does anyone have any other suggestions for advertising land and houses for rent or sale? I am looking for some methods that may give a very broad reach ... perhaps there are SL groups that are worth trying? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

how about the rental and sale sections here on the forums?

37 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

how about the rental and sale sections here on the forums?

Thanks Alwin. Yes I have tried them and they seem ok. I am looking for something qith a broader reach. Thanks so much for the suggestion.

I think you've hit pretty much all the main ways of listing land. Many buyers ignore most/all of them, and prefer to just look on the map, so make sure your parcels have good descriptive names to catch their eye. If you try all these methods and your land isn't selling, revisit the prices you are asking. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I think you've hit pretty much all the main ways of listing land. Many buyers ignore most/all of them, and prefer to just look on the map, so make sure your parcels have good descriptive names to catch their eye. If you try all these methods and your land isn't selling, revisit the prices you are asking. 

I agree with this. SL search and the Map were the biggest for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

Map search works really well and how I find 95% of land I own or have bought. 
I also use the forum but not sure if land sales came from there or from people searching the map. Well priced land sells quickly. Things do get slow at certain times of the year.

Personally, I would much rather rent from someone who uses a sky sign to get their land noticed on the map rather than someone who fake-lists their land for "sale" using an astronomical price because they just want that yellow on the map and don't really look to sell. I would never rent from someone who does that stunt. It's common in Bay City, where a couple of land flippers abuse the "sale" option regularly. 

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 6:05 PM, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Personally, I would much rather rent from someone who uses a sky sign to get their land noticed on the map rather than someone who fake-lists their land for "sale" using an astronomical price because they just want that yellow on the map and don't really look to sell. I would never rent from someone who does that stunt. It's common in Bay City, where a couple of land flippers abuse the "sale" option regularly. 

Or post in the Land for sale Forum to get eyes on land they just want to rent.

In the end we should rent land from the good landlords out there. I don't rent from the big landlords as they are just in it for the profit and that is fine. I want the small landlord to have my money instead. Never had any issues and made some friends too. Same with everything else on SL. I stay away from the big guys that are just pushing to make profit and shop at the small builders and creators instead as they are equally as talented and have had great experiences with them compared to a lot of the more popular creators.

Stick with the mom and pop shops and landlords.

This may just be my own pet peeve, but I won't buy land from any of the forum land sellers who spam the "for sale" threads by bumping their own listings up over and over and over (or relisting repeatedly). I watch the thread and know who does it and who does not, and shop accordingly! 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

This may just be my own pet peeve, but I won't buy land from any of the forum land sellers who spam the "for sale" threads by bumping their own listings up over and over and over (or relisting repeatedly). I watch the thread and know who does it and who does not, and shop accordingly! 

Bump with just "." is very common. 

New pet peeve on land ad posts: quoting a "review" that mentions you by name, but you didn't use any "" literal quote marks, so it looks like you're quoting a review you wrote about yourself. In.every.post. 

• Like 1

I'm dropping my opinion into this thread even though it's an old one I think it's useful

you can also use traffic games 

you can also use the Linden gold hunt fishing thing to attract people to your property it's one of the games there's others out there

no guarantee you'll get property buyers but it will bring you traffic which boost your search results which more likely boost is your odds of selling property

if you're new to Second Life real estate you also have to earn trust because there is very little stopping somebody from selling a piece of property then banned the person and taking the money

this might be annoying but if you're running property you want to keep records of the people you have banned in the reasons so they don't bite you in the ass later if you can prove to somebody why you did something was justified it solves a lot of drama and prevents a lot and also helps you keep your reputation intact

running a property business is a multi-person job if you're doing it solo you're going to get overwhelmed

the person that made this original post might not read this but I think this information is useful for anybody else looking into the same subject

• Confused 1

On 6/17/2022 at 1:42 PM, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

That would be me and I am sure addressed to me. If it is still for sale or the price is reduced or a change made; you bet I am going to post that in the thread till it sells.

I'm here to sell land and the buying audience changes often when people start browsing for a new home.

A listing pages back is worthless to me and to people who are looking to buy and came on the forum to see what is available. Maybe some people are fine with holding on to land for months (wasting money). 

I like and want the quick turnaround. With the high turnover I have with land sales, it also works. I am more than fair in my pricing and only sell high standard parcels on protected land or water. Not all good land has to have a high price. I'm here to find bargains and pass them on to others so they can also enjoy mainland living in a premium location without paying the ridiculously high prices most have out there and keep my listings on the front page due to price reductions or the land still available or if I decorate the land that's for sale.

100% happy buyers in the end and that is what matters.

You are one of the ones who do it, yes. I don't like seeing posts from individuals who are hoping to sell a single parcel shoved down the page under an avalanche of repeatedly bumped ads from a couple of land sellers. As such, I do my best to ignore your listings. :) 

That being said, there is at least one land seller who does not use this tactic, and I would go to him first if I was in the market to buy from someone in the business. 

• Like 2

On 6/21/2022 at 10:00 AM, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

You are one of the ones who do it, yes. I don't like seeing posts from individuals who are hoping to sell a single parcel shoved down the page under an avalanche of repeatedly bumped ads from a couple of land sellers. As such, I do my best to ignore your listings. :) 

That being said, there is at least one land seller who does not use this tactic, and I would go to him first if I was in the market to buy from someone in the business. 

And my pet peeve is when they don't list a price.

If you want me to consider buying something from you, give me all the relevant details in your listing.

I am not going to teleport there to look for the price.

No price, not interested.

• Like 2

Another general tip for land sellers:  If you want serious buyers: Don't mispresent your parcels' features, and don't use obvious alts to comment positively on your land sales listing in the forums. It's a huge red flag to those of us who know what we are doing when buying land. 

Of course, you might sucker some unfortunate folks who don't know any better, but do you really want to be that way? :)  

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 661 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.