What obligations do I have to leave items I created as props for a Sim that I manage if I leave?

krystallyne Destiny

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4671 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

One of the Sims owners "informed" me that since all the items that were used to build the Sim, are a part of the Sim and no matter who made them, they now are Sim property so will stay right where they are. Now this I find a little amusing since I am the Creator and Owner listed on about 2900 or so prim out of 3000 or so on the entire Estate. I can't help but think if I choose to pick up all of the Prim, owned by me, the Estate is going to become quite barren.

In addition to building the props that make up the Estate, all the Terraforming was done by myself exclusively as well. Building this Estate started out as a "favor" to help a friend that has turned into an endless list of things that I could build or otherwise enhance the Estate. There has been no offer of compensation for the work that has gone into the Estate and I have not expected any. Now my friend has a friend who wants to hop in and add to my creations, asking for mod rights in a way that I find pushy and unappreciated. It is to a point now where I think just picking up my items and letting this other friend take over would bring my SL back to an enjoyable place to be instead of a constant frustration and headache.

I don't have any need to sell my creations and I have zero intent to give anyone modification rights for my work. I just wanted to know if there was any sort of legal-ese with regards to personal items converting to Estate property in the SL TOS fine print that I was unaware of. I have tried several times to talk about the continued favors being asked of me and the sense of entitlement they seem to feel for my efforts. They clearly have no idea of the $L they have been saving by my gratis work . Now they are pushing me to donate my efforts and let this person I dislike enormously use my work to enhance their own work. Enough is enough, I think just about anyone would also want to throw in the towel and move on.    

4 answers to this question

None whatsoever, unless you count being friendly to people who might enjoy what you have made.  Especially if items are copy/trans, it is a nice gesture to leave them for the new sim manager, if s/he wants them. In any case, though, they are your items.  Do whatever you feel is right.

I have been in that exact same position & I totally agree about no way I would give my mod rights to the new "friend".

You need to set perms on your stuff to mod/copy and sell the whole lot to your friend for 0L (make sure you sell the original and not a copy, so that it doesn`t all have to be rezzed again) once it is in his name he can give his new friend his mod rights if he wants to. It is up to you if you choose to charge him for your work, I`m sure the temptation to remove it all is very strong, but if it is work you are proud of, its really a nice showcase of your work to have it left there, so its not just of benefit to the sim owner.

If you feel treated badly as a friend, then make it a business arrangement. Quote him a price for your work and tell him he either buys it or loses it. If there is some stuff that is no transfer, there isn`t much you can do about that, either take it or leave it for them. You will likely get it all returned to you at some point if the sim is updated sometime in the future.

If you do transfer your prims, you can set them for sale in huge batches using "select only my objects" & dragged selection boxes on a high draw distance, so it doesn`t take you too long. It does however take him ages to buy them all LOL :D  I would recommmend doing it when you are both online, because there are some websites that scan the grid for freebies & if you leave it sitting around for sale for 0L you will likely have some noob come along and buy part of a building or worse.

• Like 1

Ah... That's quite a different picture than you painted initially. I see why you asked now. My answer is still the same -- you have absolutely no obligation to leave your created items behind -- but now I'm inclined to make it more pointedly.  Like you, I have built structures and myriad small objects, created and uploaded a few thousand textures, written an untold number of scripts, and done major terraforming on three sims over the past four years.  Almost all of it has been done out of pocket, at no cost to the group that owns the sims. We are all good friends and share a common interest, and I truly enjoy doing the work.  It's a great creative outlet, and I've been able to develop skills that do earn me a decent L$ income elsewhere, so I am definitely not complaining.

I must say, though, that part of what keeps me willing to create and donate new things is the positive feedback I get from the community.  It also helps that I am not alone.  There are a handful of others who have also donated time and talent to make the sims what they are.  We are a team.  If that were not so, I suspect that I would feel much less loyalty to the sim and would not feel guilty if I decided at some point to pick up my stuff and leave.  It sounds as if that's the point where you are. I woudn't blame you for feeling overused and underappreciated.  And I also wouldn't blame you if you picked up everything and walked away. 

My bet, however, is that you won't do that.  You'll find a compromise position, leaving some things, taking others, and expecting compensation for a few that are vital to the sim and wouldn't translate well to a new home anyway.  It will be interesting to see how you work out that compromise (probably painful too). You and the others should recognize from the start, though, that the default position is that you are always free to take everything and leave. It's your stuff.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4671 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.