Question about Bloggers and Sponsorships

Hello everyone,

I hope you are doing well. Its been about a year since I've been truly active in SL. Every time I log into my Flickr account, I would see amazing pictures by Bloggers and would see their description mentioning sponsored or some sort. It makes my mind wonder on how do one get to be a Blogger and get Sponsorships. I have seen some requirements from Blog Access and it requires a large number of followers on your Flickr account. Is it difficult to get the followers? Also, do you truly need WordPress or can you get away with just a Flickr?

For Bloggers, what is like living the lifestyle and how does it work? How do you maintain creativity into your pictures? How do you stay organized if you have 10+ sponsors? Any advice for people seeking or just starting out?

Thanks!

The requirements to become a blogger varies from brand to brand. Some have requirements that you have certain social media platforms (Flickr, Instagram, Facebook, your own blog site, etc.) and that you have a certain amount of followers and/or average of 'likes' on your pictures. The selection process usually includes you applying via the store's Blogotex, and the blog manager then looking at your portfolio and deciding on whether you're a suitable representative of the brand by whichever standards they have.

Oh and, when I was a blogger manager, I also looked at your follower-to-following ratio. If it was obvious that your following was garnered through spam-following people all over to fish for re-follows, I'd usually be even stricter on the picture quality requirement; a blogger whose pictures are unflattering towards the products isn't a blogger I was interested in representing the brand. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

Oh and, when I was a blogger manager, I also looked at your follower-to-following ratio.

Had to smile. Even though I don't "do" Flickr much these days I have never followed anyone. Don't like that whole mentality and downright purchasing of hits and followers thing.

image.png.aad4ab8197ca94d54056f2eebf1a3b9b.png

And to the OP. "Sponsors" typically means that you get free items to feature on your blog or Flickr. It is not a paid position. There may still be some of those paying jobs out there (more popular in the olden days although I never took linden dollars) but I don't know of any. '  

Most bloggers start by featuring sale or gift items or things they have purchased themselves, As they hone their skills they apply for new and smaller brands and eventually may work up to blogging for well-known brands.  

There are trade off with blogging for people and just doing your own thing.  I don't like blogger groups with managers and prefer to work directly with the brand owner so that's what "I" do. It limits your options but I am not a Blog-O-Tex fan :D

Good luck!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

Had to smile. Even though I don't "do" Flickr much these days I have never followed anyone. Don't like that whole mentality and downright purchasing of hits and followers thing.

People often send me follow requests or whatever it is on Flickr.  They start following me in hopes I follow them.  People from the forums, of course I'll add.  People I've talked to inworld also.  If I look at the Flickr photos and see it's a blogger, I don't add.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, xIAm23x said:

Hello everyone,

I hope you are doing well. Its been about a year since I've been truly active in SL. Every time I log into my Flickr account, I would see amazing pictures by Bloggers and would see their description mentioning sponsored or some sort. It makes my mind wonder on how do one get to be a Blogger and get Sponsorships. I have seen some requirements from Blog Access and it requires a large number of followers on your Flickr account. Is it difficult to get the followers? Also, do you truly need WordPress or can you get away with just a Flickr?

For Bloggers, what is like living the lifestyle and how does it work? How do you maintain creativity into your pictures? How do you stay organized if you have 10+ sponsors? Any advice for people seeking or just starting out?

Thanks!

If you really want to blog, choose your platform, flickr or an actual blog. This costs you nothing unless you want to go premium off the gate.  I don't recommend going premium unless you are positive you even want to blog. If I were you, I'd hone my photo skills and blog what you have in your inventory to start before looking for sponsors. They will want to see your style and good photos.

What ever you choose, good luck !  :)

• Like 3

On 5/26/2022 at 9:57 PM, xIAm23x said:

Hello everyone,

Thanks!

Hello,

It depends what are your expectations.
You want to become a hobby-blogger who gets sponsored with free items or want to go professional and monetize your blog?

If it is the later you need even more than WordPress. You need to buy hosting space and a domain name. The free WordPress (or blogger) accounts just won't do it. Next, chose a niche. If you write and /or photograph about almost everything, your blog will loose focus and consequently will not rank well in search engines, those being your most important source of traffic.

Learn the trade and practice a lot. 

Once you have traffic and established yourself as a known blogger, the sponsors will come to you. Most brands have blog managers who actively are looking for you blogs with good traffic or followers.

You also want to consider affiliate deals with advertisers which sell stuff relevant to your niche. This is actually a lot more profitable than dealing with sl-brands.

17 hours ago, LittleSparrow Skydancer said:

What is a blog lifestyle? 

He probably refers to what we call "Digital Nomads".
It's the proclaimed live style of today's pro-blogger: Live everywhere work anywhere.

In theory at least. In practice its not like that, as the average blogger has local commitments as well. The spouse might have a job, the kids go to school and so on.
Only a few bloggers live "the livestyle", most are in fact media professionals or advertising agencies.

In short: An idealized, romanticized Illusion of the live as a blogger. A few do live it though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1