Open Source Ruth Avatar File Location

Paulsian

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 658 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The reference source versions of Roth2 and Ruth 2 are on Github.

Those files are for developers working on the avatar models. If you click on that link and feel totally lost ("What's Github? What's Git? Which of all this stuff do I want? I have to upload all this?") try this link for Ruth and this link for Roth. Those get you .blend files for Blender.

If you just want to wear Ruth and Roth, go to New Resident Island (Lawst Paradise/27/88), where there are walkthrough tutorials which lead you through the process of wearing mesh avatars, and give you a copy of Ruth or Roth.

Ruth is widely used, and can (mostly) wear clothing designed for standard avatars. Roth is basically Ruth with a flattened chest and bigger shoulders. Getting clothing to fit Roth is difficult. Not much mesh clothing is designed to fit Roth. Mesh clothing for standard avatars can be bashed into fitting with slider adjustments and custom alphas. Texture clothing for standard avatars works fine on Roth, so all those old T-shirts will work. I wear Roth, but don't have many outfits.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, animats said:

The reference source versions of Roth2 and Ruth 2 are on Github.

Those files are for developers working on the avatar models. If you click on that link and feel totally lost ("What's Github? What's Git? Which of all this stuff do I want? I have to upload all this?") try this link for Ruth and this link for Roth. Those get you .blend files for Blender.

If you just want to wear Ruth and Roth, go to New Resident Island (Lawst Paradise/27/88), where there are walkthrough tutorials which lead you through the process of wearing mesh avatars, and give you a copy of Ruth or Roth.

Ruth is widely used, and can (mostly) wear clothing designed for standard avatars. Roth is basically Ruth with a flattened chest and bigger shoulders. Getting clothing to fit Roth is difficult. Not much mesh clothing is designed to fit Roth. Mesh clothing for standard avatars can be bashed into fitting with slider adjustments and custom alphas. Texture clothing for standard avatars works fine on Roth, so all those old T-shirts will work. I wear Roth, but don't have many outfits.

sweet i was on github and was like wheres the file lol bunch of craziness. Thank you for the links will check those out appreciate it. 

im being lazy with learning rigged mesh and rigging. Self taught blender with making the skeleton and making the parts move. I wana try to use ruth as a guild to help my brain a bit with understanding how that kind of content is uploaded to sl and what all it takes. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

weet i was on github and was like wheres the file lol bunch of craziness.

Yes, that's kind of overwhelming.

If you just want to play with it, I'd suggest this.

• Get Ruth/Roth at New Resident Island.
  • Get an account on the beta grid (you send in a support ticket for this) so you can do free practice uploads over there. (The beta grid is a mini version of Second Life, with a few regions and free money, used for testing and practice. Your inventory gets copied to the beta grid, once in a while, but it's one way - no moving stuff from the beta grid back to the main grid. You can do all this on the main grid, but you'll be doing a lot of uploads and paying for them.)
  • Get logged into the beta grid and try your Ruth/Roth there. It should have been copied over from your main grid account. If that didn't happen, file a support ticket and as for a main grid -> beta grid inventory copy. It's supposed to happen daily but that's unreliable.
  • Download Ruth/Roth from the Github links and look at them in Blender.
  • Without changing them, create a .dae file for one of those in Blender, and upload it to the beta grid. This is kind of tricky; make sure you select "Second Life rigged mesh" for COLLADA export.
  • Upload that to the beta grid.
  • Try to put an avatar together using the mesh you just uploaded and a skin from the Ruth/Roth you already had working.

Once you've done all that, you've got the workflow. Now you can mess with Ruth/Roth in Blender, re-upload, and make your own changes. Roth could use guy-sized legs and ankles, if you need a task to practice on.

Edited by animats
  • Thanks 1

nice thanks for the tips 🤩

8 minutes ago, animats said:

• Get an account on the beta grid (you send in a support ticket for this) so you can do free practice uploads over there. (The beta grid is a mini version of Second Life, with a few regions and free money, used for testing and practice. Your inventory gets copied to the beta grid, once in a while, but it's one way - no moving stuff from the beta grid back to the main grid. You can do all this on the main grid, but you'll be doing a lot of uploads and paying for them.)
  • Get logged into the beta grid and try your Ruth/Roth there. It should have been copied over from your main grid account. If that didn't happen, file a support ticket and as for a main grid -> beta grid inventory copy. It's supposed to happen daily but that's unreliable.
  • Without changing them, create a .dae file for one of those in Blender, and upload it to the beta grid. This is kind of tricky; make sure you select "Second Life rigged mesh" for COLLADA export.
  • Try to put an avatar together using the mesh you just uploaded and a skin from the Ruth/Roth you already had working.

Once you've done all that, you've got the workflow. Now you can mess with Ruth/Roth in Blender, re-upload, and make your own changes. Roth could use guy-sized legs and ankles, if you need a task to practice on.

3 hours ago, animats said:

it should have been copied over from your main grid account. If that didn't happen, file a support ticket and as for a main grid -> beta grid inventory copy.

It's a bit of a hack, but if you can put it up on the market place and buy it for zero that could also work. I find all my MP purchases are going to the beta-grid as well as the main one.

Ruth and Roth are on Marketplace for $1, although those may be slightly older versions. So you can get started that way, too.

But anyway, the idea is to get the .blend file, export a COLLADA file from Blender, upload it to SL, and combine it with other parts in world to complete the avatar. Once you get that workflow figured out, you have something you can work with.

On 5/26/2022 at 4:04 PM, animats said:

thank you so much for the ruth and roth links. had a bit of trouble finding the blender export collada operator presets for sl+open sim rigged searched youtube found good example video. in the video he changed the global orientation to -X and apply unsure if that is needed, I exported without and the viewer gave me the error missing level of detail so instantly knew something was wrong with the blender model I rezzed a cube next to the avatar and could tell the avatar scale might have not scaled large enough so increased scale slightly and wala viewer loved it.

umm only thing is im getting a roth2v2full failed to upload: missing physics_covex block 00000000-0000-0000-000000000000

i noticed in another video a guy had bunch of parts and the physics block but didnt show how he created the block or how to get it from blender, heres the video on how to get ruth or roth exported from blender to *sl.

Edited by Paulsian
* typo

On 5/26/2022 at 11:57 AM, animats said:

Also FYI, the "WithArmature" files require Blender 3.0 or later, and you must export with the "Keep Bind Info" Collada export option in the "Extras" panel.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Paulsian said:

i noticed in another video a guy had bunch of parts and the physics block but didnt show how he created the block or how to get it from blender,

All mesh objects in SL require a physics shape as part of their data, but it isn't used while the object is attached to an avatar, so attachments (rigged or not) tend to just get a cube to keep the upload cost and computer load as low as possible. So just export a simple cube as a .DAE file somewhere handy and use that for your physics shape instead of the lowest LOD. If you're using Firestorm, there's even a built-in cube option so you don't even need to make your own cube.dae anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quarrel Kukulcan said:

All mesh objects in SL require a physics shape as part of their data, but it isn't used while the object is attached to an avatar, so attachments (rigged or not) tend to just get a cube to keep the upload cost and computer load as low as possible. So just export a simple cube as a .DAE file somewhere handy and use that for your physics shape instead of the lowest LOD. If you're using Firestorm, there's even a built-in cube option so you don't even need to make your own cube.dae anymore.

Thank you so much why are all the simplest things soo difficult?? :) I'll have to get some sleep and try it out.. a mesh cube that's so mental... 

Mainly because I don't think I saw it here. The "offficial" Ruth and Roth store on market place is here https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/228512

@Ai Austinhow regularly is that store updated? Is V4 the latest version that is "released". 

It is probably extra work for someone, and that's always a stumbling point with free/open source projects, but having a Ruth and Roth "latest" package that will deliver an update whenever the online version is changed would be really useful .I think that marketplace can do this now, 

Edited by Beq Janus
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Quarrel Kukulcan said:

I was wrong about having to scale it because was getting that level of detail error. I was getting it because i'm guessing everything needs to be selected by going to toggling from pose mode to object and pressing a to select all then export those 4 objects to one dae file. I noticed bottom of blender screen without selecting all has tiny popup saying exported 0 objects. No need to rescale. 

So excited I made my physics_covex block from a mesh cube.dae I went ahead and named it physic_covex block. Just a simple I think their default size is 2mx2mx2m I left it alone and used that in the physics tab in viewer got this neat preview was not getting that block before neat the way it covers the entire avatar? 

soo strange and neat. 

mesh cube used as physics_covex block.jpg

Eureka works! sorta, I have the normal nothing is ever easy challenge again but I could probably figure out why the body is little stretch but the parts move just fine they are just slightly elongated. this is new roth over original roth. I clicked the roth file in inventory picked wear and he attached to left hand. 

new roth over original roth 1.jpg

new roth over original roth 2.jpg

new roth over original roth 3.jpg

I tried attaching him to the avatar center with no change. noticed with the rezzed one if I check box the animated mesh it distorts too. Unsure if the types are important. His physics shape type is default prim. 

new roth 5.jpg

On 5/26/2022 at 4:04 PM, animats said:

Get Ruth/Roth at New Resident Island.

I figured I could compare the working one with the one im piddling with. Not seeing a new resident island or anything under new that looks like it or resident island. Is this on the main grid? It's okay checking out marketplace  https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/228512

Edited by Paulsian

I have no idea what's causing these distortions. I can eliminate the worst ones if I manually rotate the armature and mesh to face +X and apply rotations, but the head is still stretched and there are bad fittings at the waist and elbows.

I think we need someone involved with the project to help out.

5 minutes ago, Quarrel Kukulcan said:

I have no idea what's causing these distortions. I can eliminate the worst ones if I manually rotate the armature and mesh to face +X and apply rotations, but the head is still stretched and there are bad fittings at the waist and elbows.

I think we need someone involved with the project to help out.

fun puzzle, I think it's something to do with exporting from blender, not sure what pieces to export. By default the blender file has a bunch of hidden objects and the above problems were based on uploading the 4 non hidden groups for me.  

Roth Blender Objects.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 658 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.