Unable to log in on any account, neither FS nor official SL viewer

Wol Euler

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 277 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

SL was working just fine on Tuesday, since yesterday I cannot log in on any account, just says "Despite our best efforts, something unexpected has gone wrong." All accounts fail, changing the login destination makes no difference, both Firestorm and the official viewer fail. Yes, I have rebooted my computer. Yes, I have rebooted my modem. THe internet itself works fine, as this message proves.

Windows 10, current versions of both viewers. The Status page says that everyrthing is fine.

Any advice

?1335867791_loginerrorSLviewer.png.e14c534ca446d1068d85d8ecdc2153e0.png

cheers

Wol Euler

Edited by Wol Euler
fixed typo: windows 10

16 answers to this question

If it's not your computer nor the router, as you rebooted both, and not a singular account issue - so bogus group tag preventing login can be excluded - then I suggest you to check your firewall/AV (whitelist the viewers) even if so far everything was behaving nicely. You may also want to try with DNS changed to 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8. Last resort: clear the settings in the viewer(s), as they could get corrupted. And If that won't help - do you use Kaspersky password manager by any chance? There is a known issue with that one and the only way to make that working is to reset login info in the mentioned program. You may also try to re-type login/password in the viewer manually instead of using the "remember me" option.

Edited by panterapolnocy
  • Confused 1

hello panterapolnocy, thanks for the answer. FS was already whitelisted, no Kaspersky just WIndows Defender. Typing the name/password by hand didn't work, same error. Can't figure out how to change the DNS server. I'll try deleting cache.

Google DNS: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using
Cloudflare DNS: https://1.1.1.1/dns/

After making such a change it's a good idea to flush the DNS cache (no need to clear the viewer's one in this case). You may also try wired connection to make sure the Wi-Fi is not an issue - if you use one, of course.

Edited by panterapolnocy

Here's a very unlikely one: Maybe LL banned your IP address by mistake. This can happen if a bunch of people are using the same public IP address and LL bans one of them.

Submit a support ticket to LL and explain your login issue.

Panterapolnocy:

Set Google Public DNS, cleared the DNS cache, rebooted, still can't log in.

Lindal:

"Maybe LL banned your IP address by mistake. This can happen if a bunch of people are using the same public IP address and LL bans one of them."

Oh that's an interesting suggestion, though if that were the case I would really have expected a more useful notification than just "something went wrong."

I got out my Mac Mini and fired it up, started Firestorm (same version): same error, cannot log in because something went wrong. So I guess the problem is not at my end, I will raise a ticket as you suggested. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Fritz Stoneshield said:

I open my account and it request  that I accept 'terms', the field is empty white box and the small box below nest to "I accept... is 'grayed out'. the only box I can check in the sign-in is 'cancel'.

How can I sign into my account???

This USED to be an issue with ad blockers or ad blocker browsers (like BRAVE). So try using a different browser that has no ad blocking on it.  I use EDGE for that purpose.    

At present, the Terms and Conditions are presented on the log in screen upon your first log in. @Fritz Stoneshield, if this is where you are seeing the accept window, look for a scroll bar on the right. Scroll down to the end, and the Accept button should become active. The idea is, they want you to actually read the T&C.

(Of course, hardly anyone does. But scrolling the text tells the software you've "read" them.)

Edited by Lindal Kidd

OK. Have you checked to see if you're running any ad blocker or pop-up blocker software?

Also, even if you are not using the Internet Explorer browser, I found at least one report of it causing problems with pop up windows in other software (Adobe CC).  Try this:

Reset your Internet Explorer settings through Tools menu -> Internet Options -> Advanced tab -> Reset Internet Explorer settings section and press the "Reset..." button.

One suspects that other web browsers might cause the same sort of issue as well.

On 5/26/2022 at 5:59 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

Here's a very unlikely one: Maybe LL banned your IP address by mistake. This can happen if a bunch of people are using the same public IP address and LL bans one of them.

Submit a support ticket to LL and explain your login issue.

I have had this happen thrice over the past 15 years and each time the pop up told me I was IP banned, the OP's pop up doesn't so he's not using a banned IP to try and sign in.

• Like 1

I'm having this issue too now. I've tried everything I can think of for hours. I was able to log in last night with no issues at all, logged out normally.

But tonight I've tried Firestorm, SL official viewer, Alchemy - *ALL* of them stop at "Requesting region capabilities..."

My friend is able to log in as me without an issue, so the problem is my side, either PC, internet, connection.

I've tried changing my DNS to 1.1.1.1, no effect. Tried rebooting PC, rebooting router, turning off Defender temporarily. I have no firewall or antivirus.

Usually I can figure something like this out myself, but I'm completely stumped now. I've raised a support ticket, but who knows when that would get answered!
Has anyone been through this before and worked out what it was? (Running Windows 11, latest viewer versions, ethernet connection)

e60decfe7eb0e96754d7c8dbf84e0d53.png

Edited by Oskas
added image for context

Ok - I figured this out finally after hours and hours of wondering what the heck it was.

If it happens to anyone else... In my case, I had changed a setting on my router. The router has it's own firewall security and I had set it to 'high' from 'off' and forgot about it. As soon as I switched it back, I could get past the error above.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 277 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.