New Mac M1 Ultra Studio Pro

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 352 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone. Since my Windows desktop was trashed by Microsoft after they were hacked, I've decided on a Mac to replace my current system which cannot be upgraded to Windows 11. Can anyone advise if SL works with Firestorm and the new Mac M1 Ultra Pro ? Many thanks.

• Like 1

I have a 32-core GPU, 64GB 1TB Mac Studio Max. I find the Firestorm (my long time preference) viewer to be faster and smoother than the "performance beta" viewer. I settled on one notch below ultra with shadows and 96 meter draw distance so I can walk around and fly smoothly with 25 fps on my home parcel. I'm very pleased with it.

• Like 2

I have an M1 Mac Mini with 8gb and SL runs fine in Firestorm, Catznip and official viewer. I do get overpowered by lag in very busy sims, even when I take protective measures (very small draw distance, max complexity of other avatars set very low). I should have gone for more RAM, I guess. One of those Studio machines will blow mine out of the water.

If you buy the Ultra and don't like it, I'll gladly take it off your hands... ;)

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 5/27/2022 at 5:32 PM, Tholan Nohkan said:

I have a 32-core GPU, 64GB 1TB Mac Studio Max. I find the Firestorm (my long time preference) viewer to be faster and smoother than the "performance beta" viewer. I settled on one notch below ultra with shadows and 96 meter draw distance so I can walk around and fly smoothly with 25 fps on my home parcel. I'm very pleased with it.

Thank you, I have been looking for this kind of info because I am considering the M2 Studio. The fps on yours seems very slow to me because on my PC, I get between 60 and 100 fps. I have the M1 Mini, and it does not perform well enough in SL for me to use it. Apple said I could try the M2 Studio for 2 weeks, so I can test it it SL.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bhakta Thor said:

Thank you, I have been looking for this kind of info because I am considering the M2 Studio. The fps on yours seems very slow to me because on my PC, I get between 60 and 100 fps. I have the M1 Mini, and it does not perform well enough in SL for me to use it. Apple said I could try the M2 Studio for 2 weeks, so I can test it it SL.

M1/M2 GPU performance is highly app dependent, I'm really not sure how they perform with ol fashioned OpenGL stuff like SL but I guess you'll find out. On paper it should perform but in practice... it's likely more complicated than that.

On 7/29/2023 at 4:13 PM, Bhakta Thor said:

I am considering the M2 Studio

I recently upgraded from the M1 Mac Mini (8GB, 250GB) to the M2 Max Mac Studio. This has a much better processor; 12 GPU cores instead of 8 (don't ask me what that really means); 30 GPU cores instead of 8; 1TB hard drive instead of 250GB; and crucially 32GB of RAM (or 'universal memory', as Apple now calls it) instead of 8GB.

As you can probably imagine, the Studio blows the Mini out of the water. I can achieve FPS over 100 and regularly get over 50. But of course, so much depends on your settings. I'm using a 32 inch monitor with Firestorm in full screen mode. If I come out of full screen mode and reduce the size of the viewer window a little, I can as much as double my FPS. If I turn on shadows the FPS falls a little, though general performance does not struggle really, certainly nothing like as badly as with the mini.

I am also using the 'high DPi' option in graphics prefs. This delivers a significant hit to the FPS but in my view it's worth it for the additional clarity and sharpness.

If you can afford the Studio, you will definitely get much better performance from it. But, it is hard to quantify precisely because FPS is not a great measure of just how well a machine is performing to give a satisfying experience in SL.

If you get the Studio I don't think you will regret it, though your bank account might. Hope that helps a little.

Edited by Anicha Heartsong
Added additional specs
  • Like 1

On 7/29/2023 at 4:36 PM, AmeliaJ08 said:

Stop that, you'll make the Apple people cry :P

Nope. 😎 As long as Asahi Linux is approved by Linus Torvalds, I'm good.

I've done the same to PCs that came with Windows only. I'm not so much of a Linux zealot that I get rid of commercial OS's or otherwise stay away from proprietary code. The Richard M Stallman choir would never dare touch my PCs anyway, as I use a Nvidia GPU with proprietary drivers and I run Wine with enough M$ code in it. *shrug*  All them silly ×$* RMS mofos would advise me to use a ThinkPad laptop and ditch Debian/Ubuntu. No, thanks!

5 minutes ago, JeromFranzic said:

Nope. 😎 As long as Asahi Linux is approved by Linus Torvalds, I'm good.

I've done the same to PCs that came with Windows only. I'm not so much of a Linux zealot that I get rid of commercial OS's or otherwise stay away from proprietary code. The Richard M Stallman choir would never dare touch my PCs anyway, as I use a Nvidia GPU with proprietary drivers and I run Wine with enough M$ code in it. *shrug*  All them silly ×$* RMS mofos would advise me to use a ThinkPad laptop and ditch Debian/Ubuntu. No, thanks!

I just tell them to grow all their own food.  They either go away or say something weak like "That's different!"

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 352 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.