Don't get ripped off as employee.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4698 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This Is probably not very useful to experienced players, but it might be for new players.

So your new to SL, eager to earn some lindens? Don't be fooled by big promises and unclear explanations. Keep your heads up for jobs as 'Land sales'. It Is very easy to sell land, and never get commission. So be very sure you are either in a script or a contract. (in a method that's provable to the lindens.) Unlike other online games, being new or inexperienced doesn't make you worth a copper an hour. Save yourself from spending hours selling somebody else his items!

If you feel like you are being exploited, take your eyes off SecondLife for a bit. Think about if you're getting payed fair enough for the amount of time your putting in. 2 or 3 linden dollars may look like a golden nugget for you when you first begin.. But its really only 0.001$.

The hours you put in as a slave to your boss, you could be out scripting, building, or texturing making more success on long terms. Please, don't be scared for the gap of unknown when you start off. All it requires Is stubbornness.

I myself have worked for a numerous of 'landlords' promising me land I never got after making sales. Remember: The internet Is anonymous, you're most likely to be put off!

If you get a build, script of texture job, check if you trust the resident his background. If you feel he/she Is being rather vague don't be afraid to ask for an payment in advance. Or even make a small example of what you have in mind for the costumer. If he becomes angered by you asking for a small payment he probably wouldn't had payed you in the first place.

Underestimated Is the tool of a con, before you invite a costumer over to show the end-product, ask a couple or friends or random avatars even to rate your product. You don't want to get payed 50L$ for something that could've left you with 5000L$.

Last piece of advice: When you think you have completed your skills in a profession, try get acquainted with some steady costumers. People that trust you over the time will return to you if you bring them quality.

I liek this idea, Venus! That is what I started to say. But, you know....I worked for a person writting articles for a website (it is long gone, and we have the destination guide to find places now) and they did pay me. I earned a little, like 500L per review. That was not bad, though I am sure if I was a real life travel writter..um, that would cover the pen and paper and I guess I would need to eat the rest of the paper pad!? yikes!

But, it was easy. I worked totally on a product for someone and let hime pay what he felt was honest. One person I did this for, nothing. Another paid 2000L and even talked to me again and was interested in some other things I was working on. I never got those projects done and lost contact with them. But, you never know really...so, if you do what is fun and/or keep rights to sell the item...then you might do alright enough to pay for more uplaods, some extra rent money BUT....if you want to do what you want all the time you will most likely end up on your own lol.

Partners can work well, the division of labour can really pay off! But, you might be luckier in RL with people in your goegraphic area that you can take to court and you also know them better, so avoid all of that.Who says they need to know skills already? They can learn and have fun with you!

Either way, if you at least enjoy the creation a tiny bit you will be alright because you had some fun!

I really have to agree with you about not wasting your precious time doing errands for someone else's business with little reward. I would always recommend freeing up time by spending a few measly dollars on the lindens you might have earned, and then investing that time into learning how to do brilliant things for yourself, and ultimately for your own customers.

You can meet wonderful people and learn wonderful things through classes and sandbox communities. In my opinion, this is far more valuble than wearing out your pixel shoe leather selling someone else's stuff if they are dubious. (Bear in mind that I'm totally biased, being someone who lives by building, not land sales, which I happily admit to knowing nothing about.)

I don't at all mean to insinuate that potential employers are neccessarily charlatans, only that I have seen a few new residents chasing rainbows, when they could have spent their energy more profitably and enjoyably.

Nothing replaces (to me) the joy and challenge of doing it for yourself, businesswise :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4698 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.