Borders, aligning, splitlines .. sigh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4696 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So i know the basic buildings, and i use the default SL building tools to the max. But somehow when i work on 'bigger' builds i keep getting frictions. Annoying lines, splits, it just never fits well enough. Is there something i am missing here?

Quite some friends and builders helped me out and took a look, they say its the textures rubbing up.

Also i was wondering how builders made there textures, by themself or by other people?

I'm not sure what you describe. One thing is that if you put two walls perpendicular to a corner, the prims interrupt each other, so there may be texture flashing at the corners where the two prims occupy the same spatial limits. 

You should be able to someone mitigate that by producing walls with sideways boxes tapered, so that the interior wall surface is smaller, and the prims don't interlap quite so much at the corners due to a more mitred/beveled kind of joint.

If you have a perfectly aligned pair of prims you may see the join because of the lighting of SL. It lights up the hidden side of the prim because light goes through prims and it's this line of pixels you see that flicker.

I think it's similar to Z fighting (Alpha texture and normal texture in same pixel place) where a pixel from each edge of the prim fights to be seen by the user.

• Solution: Turn the build so light does not fall in a particular way. but dificult overall.
  • Darken the sides that are hidden, simply select the face and use a shade of grey colour which looks best.
  • Make special edge textures which also may help reduce the filcker.

I've used a half grey, half white texture many times to help with this. Good luck.

If the viewer your using does not allow you to position prims to 5 decimal places, get a different viewer. Sometimes you have to make the edges transparent or use a texture or color on the edge so that those little lines aren't noticeable. If that wont work you can put a prim just below the surface at the joint. Kinda like you would tape two pieces of paper together.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4696 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.