How you explain SecondLife to your IRL relatives.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4561 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Anyone who is familiar with SecondLife wont be gasping when they hear a friend of them is dressing up like a 'Meerkat', playing roulette on his yacht, and raving in underground clubs.

I guess it's probably best to avoid or ignore the question 'what is that SecondLife you play?', they generally don't understand. It's like most of the special experiences in our lives, the once you have to see for yourself. Still we try in our humble minds to explain in a sane way we all love to crawl up to our scriptspirited baby's, pets, and robots.

The best explanation I found so far would be:

" SecondLife is a playground for adults, where you can create instead of think. Along with a million others. "

I never got too deep into the conversation, because things like this to the not understanding people are like a wedge. Its a thin line that either defines interest from geekyness.

How have you're experiences been on telling or trying to explain your SL-life to IRL-people?

Finrod Ghennyn wrote:

How have you're experiences been on telling or trying to explain your SL-life to IRL-people?

I don't often try. This is my escape, and if I brought all of RL into it, it wouldn't be. That said, I've since slowly brought a few hesitant ones into this dream world, where they can explore at their pace.

Most are barely computer literate, and the ones who are not illiterate with technology are into WoW or PS3. Those, I don't talk to often, and those I especially wouldn't want shadowing me here :P  

When I tried to describe something in SL though to someone I care about, they did not really grasp what I was talking about: Only that I was happy and that was enough for them.

It is good to keep things seperated, i wouldn't like friends keeping an eye on what i do in my virtual life. Not because what i do is such a weird thing, but because i would feel less free or rather limited in some way.

I understand your subtility but sometimes its rude or even more strange to avoid direct questions about it. Just a 'oh a game i really enjoy' usually creates more questions. Any avoiding answer does that for me.

Yes and nearly daily. I tell them the entire story, from what the metaverse is and how it applies to a social community. How this came out of a game engine designed to enable users to create new games to what it is today.

I evangelize every detail and most are very interested in hearing more. The I wrap it up with, you need to come see it to fully understand.

I had a client in SL several years back and after about 10 meeting with them in world, they decided to spend some time exploring on their own.  After that, they called me and said "wow, we totally get it now and we want in". 

It has little to do with understanding this place, none of us fully do yet it's moreover, the understanding of a 3D virtual internet and how it applies to what we are today.

I explain the house preview idea. Imagine looking for houses on line where you can walk into the house with an avatar the represents yourself, change the layout, add your own furniture and colors.  Do you think you would be more suited to buy a home like this?

Everyone I've asked this to, got it.  They may not get the entire thing but they will get enough of an idea to want to check it out.

They have mostly not heard of it, so it does not come up. The ones who are more into the other games are not ones I talk to very often. The USA is so huge, and I almost never have any reason to phone them. 

When I do speak to family by phone it's the closer ones and they are mostly the older ones, not into computers very much. They don't care about anything like hobbies or games but discuss their daily life, politics and so on.

When it did come up I brought it up myself with one or few, and as I said, they didn't know anything about it, could not imagine it but just were glad if I was happy doing it.

Finrod Ghennyn wrote:

I understand your subtility but sometimes its rude or even more strange to avoid direct questions about it. Just a 'oh a game i really enjoy' usually creates more questions. Any avoiding answer does that for me.

About keeping things separate, yes, if I want a new world, don't bring the old one in with me, is my view.

Most people who are computer litterate think of SL as just another game like WOW.  I try to explain that it's not a game, so much as a virtual world. Most don't get that concept & their faces show that lack of comprehension. At that point, if you take too much time to explain why you love SL so much, they'll probalby think you're a little crazy, so it's best to keep explanations short & simple.

Second Life is a vitual world where people create whatever environments & experiences they want to explore.  Some people play games in SL, but it's not just a game, it's a 3D world in which you can interact with other people.  You can look however you want & do pretty much whatever you want.  You can own virutal land, make & sell virual goods, explore, role-play, go dancing, & chat with friends. You can do whatever you can imagine doing. It's free if you don't want to spend money on it, though most people do end up spending money on virtual clothes, land & stuff.

I don't have much cause to explain SL to my relatives, though.  My Mom is 89 & still doesn't get it even after I showed her a little walk through.

If so, maybe this subject does not apply to you.

For me it did, and i think WoW-players (being an ex-addict to that game.) experience it too.

The Netherlands is a small country, people ask me daily what i do, people come by my home and catch my with SL open.

I either buzz them off, unless they seem to have an honest interest. Nothing in our human life brings better satisfaction then bringen the joy you keep to your friends.

Probably a culture entirely different to the US, where people and their descendants can live decades on the same land in RL, and not even know their neighbors' names.

I thought the topic applied to me, because I did explain SL to my IRL relatives; but maybe I am wrong then. It is your topic, so you can say. LOL

You are probably right about that, but anything that goes further then 'virtual world' stamps 'useless' to it. Or atleast in theire minds.

Generally i dont think there is an understanding for the value of virtual properties, or the value of it. I told one of them i used to earn nice money with it .. it completely changes the perspective. Maybe its the shallowness of the unknown that makes dislike urge them more then getting known. It is the same reaction that rules allot of discrimination in my area.

Please, dont be so easely burned off. I ment it in the way that having to explain it daily does not apply to you. You're more then welcome to respond to any of my topics anytime.

And you are right, our cultures are very different. People here know who your going out with, they know what days you go for shopping etc. Its almost stalky.

It is just my sense of humor Finrod.  :)  It borders on sarcasm but in a gentle no harm meant type of way.

If I am ever actually offended, I will say so, and then I am over it very quickly afterward. 

I do tend to speak what I feel, though, so if I feel someone is being a butthead I will say so. (You haven't been a butthead.)

But probably with the language barrier plus text being so bare, some of my attempt at humor is being lost...in translation?

Also fair play, I do feel that the topic is for the OP to guide, except if it is against any TOS. 

You seem a nice person, and interesting. I do try to bump and keep active a new person's topics, if they notice I'm doing that to help them or not I don't know.  But see now your topics are getting many active conversations :D

Except for the stalky part, I'd like to be in a more close culture. People in America are all afraid of each other I think, and/or afraid of lawsuits. I do not believe in them, but many here love to sue other people. Some see it as their get rich quick ticket. Lol

Oh yes, that would be felony assault I think.

You can get assault charges now even for spitting on someone. A slap is a misdemeanor, last I heard.

Finrod Ghennyn wrote:

I watched this US police thingy on TV last night, im not sure if it was dramatised or not. But you get arrested for punching someone, even jail sentenced if prosecuted?

You get approximately 4 years for proven murder here. If someone is 'liquidated', with a record of being in a criminal circuit they might even just drop the research because they don't mind.

I guess its a little to less here, and a bit too much of the good at your country.

Dunno. I think it is more complex than that (here. I can't speak to there.)

Murder sentences here can vary from a few years to hundreds of years. Depends on the one sentencing, on the crime, and how good sometimes the lawyers are too...

Finrod Ghennyn wrote:

You get approximately 4 years for proven murder here. If someone is 'liquidated', with a record of being in a criminal circuit they might even just drop the research because they don't mind.

I guess its a little to less here, and a bit too much of the good at your country.

my biggest thing that ever happend for me on SL was that i met a girl living in the country next to mine...so yeah you can figure...we got close on SL..and start calling and videochat...we started dating and got a RL relation!!! but the distance was the problem , so after some months it ended...i never told any of my friends i met this girl on SL cause for them it is just a game like they play on there PS3 or XBOX...so people outside SL cant and will never understand whats its like to be in here!! i have a relation with a girl for some time now and we live together..but she dont even know im still on SL...from a reaction months ago i understanded that she dont like it that much!!!

i only have like 2 things in live that are escape places from all the stuff that is going on in RL and that is going to concerts from my favo rock bands and having a killer time...and chilling out on SL and do whatever i wanna do without (almost) anyone can tell me not to do it!!

but on the other hand..the avatar you see of me in world is who i am in RL...details like hair , clothes , ... there all the same style in SL as in RL...so the person you meet in SL is the same as RL!! most people act a diffrent person of who they really wanna be and thats cool too i guess..but be happy with who you are :) after all you are the one controlling who you are !!

peace out people

I told my family about what I do in SL. They didn't seem surprised at all, probably cause everything I do in life is as strange & unusual as the next thing... being in SL might be one of the least odd things I do :matte-motes-tongue:

Most friends I don't tell about SL at all, since the only kind of video games they are into --- if any interest at all --- is console games & only casually playing, just zero interest in this kind of thing (& in some cases maybe kind of a social suicide i think :matte-motes-stress:) so I never mention yet :matte-motes-whistle:

Luc Starsider wrote:

I find the best way to not having to explain SL to people in RL is to not tell them about it in the first place. It's my world, my imagination - none of their business.

- Luc -

I can't think of a better way to say it than this. :smileyhappy:

when asked, I tell them it's a virtual world where I can create anything, for myself, for others, just to make something really amazing, and other people do too.

people that are creative tend to get it immediately, people that are stuck on material things tend to ask about selling, and people that are consumers ask about buying.

of course is helps if you treat it just like any other creative or recreation outlet... there is a tendency for anything involving a computer not directly making money to be treated as wasting time... even though other artistic or recreation activities are considered fine... if you treat it the same it shows to other people and you get a better reaction from them.

In the rare case I feel the need to explain it, I usually explain it as "A place where you can be what you want, who you want, and do what you want. Well, almost. It's full of lonely welfare whales people, most of which are liars and crooks, just like everyone else on the 'net. On the other hand, I met my RL partner on the 'net, so there's honest people too. Think of it as a wonderful dream, an abysmal nightmare and an excellent way to waste time. That about sums up what SL is."

Hey Finrod,

One way to explain SL is as a place that brings exciting new levels of realization to things you already enjoy in RL. 

For example, Green Acres Golf Course lets you enjoy the game of golf in a total immersion way. With SL physics, expert region design and WindLight settings golf games go to entirely new levels of realization.

http://slurl.com/secondlife/Romantic%20Times/24/165/21/

Green Acres Golf Course - WindLight.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4561 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.