Is There A Reason To Log You Out Just Because You Couldn't Connect To A Region?

Codex Alpha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 680 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

What the title asks.

Every time I can't connect to a region or teleport target, it doesn't just return me to my last location, (or home at least) it just logs me completely out of the viewer.

This is not the ideal experience I must say.

Is this normal behaviour and if so, why is it implemented in this way?

Desirable behaviour: Remain logged in. If cannot connect, simply return to last location or home.

7 answers to this question

because that's how the system is designed .. regions play pass the parcel with avatars.

If a region accepts your avatar and then fails handle that, then you get logged out, it's the end of the road. It can't hand your avatar off to somewhere else, probably for the same reason it couldn't load you in the first place.

If your target region is offline then you can be handed to a different region.

• Like 1

Hm. While that can happen, it should be rare. Usually, if you attempt a teleport to an offline region, or one that won't let you in, the teleport never starts and you remain in the original region. If you're getting logged out, the destination region was contacted, the teleport process began, but didn't finish. That usually indicates a destination region in trouble, or a networking problem between your viewer and the destination region.

If you're using Firestorm, try Firestorm support. They may be able to help. You can get into this mess because some middlebox in the network didn't like some of the network ports Second Life uses, so viewer and sim were not allowed to talk properly.

• Like 1

There was some server maintenance, and I had to ask this, but now it's all completed and I still can't get into a region that I'm renting land on.

I've tested this in SL Viewer as well, nope can't get into the region anymore. 2 days now.

Edited by Codex Alpha

When a private region is "gone", there are a couple of possible reasons.

• There is a region-specific technical problem. The land owner needs to be made aware of the problem so she can re-start the region
  • There is a technical problem on LL's end. The land owner or renter needs to file a support case, to make sure LL is aware of the problem and fixing it.
  • There is a financial problem. The land owner hasn't paid the land fee to LL.  This may be because:
    • There is some simple mistake, like the land owner's credit card expiring. Contact the land owner so they are aware of the problem and can fix it.
    • The land owner has left SL. This might be voluntarily on their part, or maybe they've died in RL, or LL has banned their account. In any event, the region is gone and won't be coming back.

No matter what the actual problem is, your course of action is:

• Send an IM or a notecard, or both, to the land owner or their designated manager notifying them that the region is off line.
  • Open a Support Case with LL notifying them the region is offline and requesting help. If the land owner has stopped paying for the region, they will put the region back on line for a short period to allow renters to collect their stuff.
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 680 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.