Display Name Reset

GeminiEmber

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 700 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Before anyone comments about special characters in display names. I agree with you that some people make display names that are impossible to read or make out. This is about having a legible name with just a different font.ย ๐‘ฎ๐’†๐’Ž๐’Š๐’๐’Š ๐‘ฌ๐’Ž๐’ƒ๐’†๐’“ is what I wanted, and it was initially accepted. As you can see the name is legible. For some reason though the display name is automatically being reset and forcing us to wait.

Now, if it is a matter of that particular font not being accepted. Then the system should reject it in the first place. If it is going to AUTOMATICALLY reset the username, then it should not make us wait the grace period to change the name again. Part of second life is being able to express ourselves. Yes, this includes those who use illegible display names. It is their choice and ultimately if you do not like the display name then do not interact with that person. We are all entitled to our opinions. But I digress.

In my case the name is legible, and it seems unfair that the name would get accepted and then a couple hours later it gets reset with no explanation as to why and then we are forced to wait. So why are some display names accepted and others reset? How or where can we find acceptable fonts that can be used?

5 answers to this question

5 hours ago, GeminiEmber said:

Before anyone comments about special characters in display names. I agree with you that some people make display names that are impossible to read or make out. This is about having a legible name with just a different font.ย ๐‘ฎ๐’†๐’Ž๐’Š๐’๐’Š ๐‘ฌ๐’Ž๐’ƒ๐’†๐’“ is what I wanted, and it was initially accepted. As you can see the name is legible. For some reason though the display name is automatically being reset and forcing us to wait.

Now, if it is a matter of that particular font not being accepted. Then the system should reject it in the first place. If it is going to AUTOMATICALLY reset the username, then it should not make us wait the grace period to change the name again. Part of second life is being able to express ourselves. Yes, this includes those who use illegible display names. It is their choice and ultimately if you do not like the display name then do not interact with that person. We are all entitled to our opinions. But I digress.

In my case the name is legible, and it seems unfair that the name would get accepted and then a couple hours later it gets reset with no explanation as to why and then we are forced to wait. So why are some display names accepted and others reset? How or where can we find acceptable fonts that can be used?

SL is build up during the time a half generation grew up, so many systems and code are connected. Somewhere hides a little bug thats hungry for unsuported fonts and eats it.
ย 

We see a lot of these posts on the forums, and the one and only solutions is : do not use those fonts.

The only font allowed should be the standard thats used for the account names.ย 

people should be able to use their natural languages for Display Name. I understand this is the case for the languages that the viewer supports

is the language character sets that the viewer doesn't support which cause the issue as far as I can tell

8 hours ago, Mollymews said:

people should be able to use their natural languages for Display Name. I understand this is the case for the languages that the viewer supports

is the language character sets that the viewer doesn't support which cause the issue as far as I can tell

*wonders in what country the natural language is "fancy cursive letters"*ย 

But for real, I am japanese and can have a japanese display name, I also saw Hebrew already if I am not mistaken and Arabic sooo there is no problem with that ;) also you can use almost any unicode characters and I think your name can be 31 or so characters long x3ย 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

*wonders in what country the natural language is "fancy cursive letters"*ย 

But for real, I am japanese and can have a japanese display name, I also saw Hebrew already if I am not mistaken and Arabic sooo there is no problem with that ;) also you can use almost any unicode characters and I think your name can be 31 or so characters long x3ย 

It seems there is a difference between a Unicode set and a "font".

Unicode set for a different language = OK.

"Font" Unicode set otherwise - not OK.

ย 

On 5/17/2022 at 4:49 PM, GeminiEmber said:

We know... been there done that... ๐Ÿ™

You can, however, file a JIRA Feature Quest or Bug Report. You can look at existing JIRA filings for "display name". You can add your information to any (all?) of the active filings. The Lindens look at all the JIRA filings. So, they will see your complaint/suggestion.

I am convinced the number of filings affects the Linden's priorities on any issue.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 700 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.