Jump to content

Pride Month -- Got An Email From SL


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 794 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

https://secondlife.com/destination/second-pride?d=second-pride

"The 16th annual celebration of LGBTQ+ rights, history, and empowerment in SL will run from June 4th-13th. This year's festivities are the biggest to date: with shops, carnival rides, and over 60 performers, this extravaganza will be spreading love over two lively regions. Hop on the trolley to get a full tour!

Second Life is honored to host numerous events during Pride Month to unite people from all walks of life in a space where they can be their true selves. For more events like this, check out the LGBTQ+ section of the Destination Guide".

From the destination guide:

"Celebrate diversity at Second Pride! This destination is the headquarters of the Second Pride organization in Second Life. Second Pride holds annual events since 2005, featuring plenty of music and fun. Spread across two regions, with everything from cityscape to a massive beach and boardwalk, all centered around a huge park that spans both regions. There are shops on the pier, carnival rides, a zipline over the beach, a working trolley to take you on a tour, and more! More info at: second-pride.com".

Edited by Luna Bliss
forgot the quotes
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh, awesome! I have been absent from Pride festivities due to the pandemic, and this sounds like fun.

(My first contact with SL was L Word Island. I wonder if a little reunion for all of the habitués of the place might happen one day.)

Edited by Blaise Glendevon
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

This year's festivities are the biggest to date: with shops, carnival rides, and over 60 performers, this extravaganza will be spreading love over two lively regions. Hop on the trolley to get a full tour!

Putting shops first in the list of things to do is a little cringe of LL, but hey, it is SL, people love shopping.

Pride month is my favorite time of the year in SL, less for shopping though and more for parties, atmosphere and people mingling. Somehow I feel like everyone is more approachable during festivities. Or maybe it is me relaxing and being more eager to reach out. LGBTQ+ groups and communities are easier to find during Pride as well - many of them have booths or boards around event regions.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:
16 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

And? So? Therefore?

That was kind of my point too. Paste a bunch of stuff into a post with no comment. Maybe practicing for Strawberry's job..?

Well, Love, I like a quote by Joan Baez:

         The best antidote to despair is action.

So this is one of my actions -- to bring greater awareness to a celebration of diversity, as let me tell you, the plans of those coming to power (the MAGA people and their Christian Nationalist friends in the Supreme Court) are aiming to take these hard-won rights away. It's too easy to feel despair when contemplating what likely lies ahead.

There is an opportunity to celebrate diversity in SL during the month of June, to take pride in being who you are, or be an ally to those who are in danger. Don't let those trying to make LGBTQ+ people into 2nd class citizens have their way. Have fun with friends and enjoy the rights that still exist, and maybe at some of the Pride events learn ways you can support human rights in RL communities too.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

Oh, awesome! I have been absent from Pride festivities due to the pandemic, and this sounds like fun.

(My first contact with SL was L Word Island. I wonder if a little reunion for all of the habitués of the place might happen one day.)

That reminds me...I need to check what's happening in my home town now that Covid has lessened in my area.

You know I heard about the L Word Island but never went ...wish I had , but I was so busy at that time with my business here...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/17/2022 at 12:05 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

If you don't like the email, maybe you can return it? 

Or isn't that how electronic mail works?

It's all so confusing.

Why did I mention the email came from LL? One, I like to give credit where credit is due -- I had just received the announcement from SL via my email.

I have to say too, I was a little surprised because after the HooBoy Edict (where we tried to no avail to get a LGBTQ+ section on the forum, and the decision was expressed by a Linden as "HooBoy, we already have too many forum sections") I did wonder if the beginning stages of proto-fascism was happening (with reduced rights for diverse peoples due to our country being currently classified as an anocracy) and that LL felt a need to begin minimizing the overt presence of the "naughty people" in SL for the protection of their company going forward.

So...to see the email was kind of a relief...proof that we have not slid that far into the minimization of LGBTQ+ rights, into the invisibility that typically occurs in autocratic societies.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Why did I mention the email came from LL? One, I like to give credit where credit is due -- I had just received the announcement from SL via my email.

I have to say too, I was a little surprised because after the HooBoy Edict (where we tried to no avail to get a LGBTQ+ section on the forum, and the decision was expressed by a Linden as "HooBoy, we already have too many forum sections") I did wonder if the beginning stages of proto-fascism was happening (with reduced rights for diverse peoples due to our country being currently classified as an anocracy) and that LL felt a need to begin minimizing the "naughty people in" SL for the protection of their company going forward.

So...to see the email was kind of a relief...proof that we have not slid that far into the minimization of LGBTQ+ rights, into the invisibility that typically occurs in autocratic societies.

Silence is complicity.

Corporate pride with out affirmative action is pink washing.

LGBTQ+ people are not simply a marketing opportunity for companies to make hay while the sun shines. We depend on actual meaningful support from people outside of our community or history's echo's will wipe us all out, again.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Silence is complicity.

Corporate pride with out affirmative action is pink washing.

LGBTQ+ people are not simply a marketing opportunity for companies to make hay while the sun shines. We depend on actual meaningful support from people outside of our community or history's echo's will wipe us all out, again.

Yes, and sadly I see an eclipse starting to block that sun   :(

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, missyrideout said:

Note to LL pls mark my account Gay AF so I get the emails.

I just discovered something horrible -- that email was from last year. I had it pinned at the top and my email changed to place the pins far to the right so I didn't notice it was an old email from 2021

Now I have to worry...will we get a Pride announcement this year?

  • Sad 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

I just discovered something horrible -- that email was from last year. I had it pinned at the top and my email changed to place the pins far to the right so I didn't notice it was an old email from 2021

Now I have to worry...will we get a Pride announcement this year?

If this works they way things do where I work then you just volunteered to organize and announce that you are sponsoring this year.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ardy Lay said:

If this works they way things do where I work then you just volunteered to organize and announce that you are sponsoring this year.

I bet Pride in SL is busily organizing as we speak.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well, Love, I like a quote by Joan Baez:

         The best antidote to despair is action.

So this is one of my actions -- to bring greater awareness to a celebration of diversity, as let me tell you, the plans of those coming to power (the MAGA people and their Christian Nationalist friends in the Supreme Court) are aiming to take these hard-won rights away. It's too easy to feel despair when contemplating what likely lies ahead.

There is an opportunity to celebrate diversity in SL during the month of June, to take pride in being who you are, or be an ally to those who are in danger. Don't let those trying to make LGBTQ+ people into 2nd class citizens have their way. Have fun with friends and enjoy the rights that still exist, and maybe at some of the Pride events learn ways you can support human rights in RL communities too.

"Hey, LL is doing something good. Let's make it political."

 

11 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

LGBTQ+ people are not simply a marketing opportunity for companies to make hay while the sun shines.

Except, unfortunately, it usually is.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I bet Pride in SL is busily organizing as we speak.

The website location hasn't changed since last year's email, so you can see the countdown and who they're raising funds for this year. It'll update with more stuff as it gets near. There's also the inworld group "Second Pride" and a discord. They run events through the year on the regions, as well as the main pride event.

It's why it didn't immediately register that you'd gotten last year's email, because the basics are true every year.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 794 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...