Jump to content

Why do some people buy regions from residents vs just direct from Linden?


Recommended Posts

One reason might be to capture the traffic from the previous version of the region.

I knew a guy who purchased the land the Happy Hippo building group was on, ostensibly to help them keep the group going when the land owner wanted to sell it. After some drama between him and the group managers at Happy Hippo, he kicked them off and tried to develop his own building and rental group there instead. I was involved with him and was the one who put rental stores around the sandbox area to help draw traffic. Other people designed awesome caves, artistic areas, and a train track running around the sim. Of course donations and rental income were never enough to sustain tier payments. The guy had a meltdown and started alienating all the people who had helped him, so the group folded and the land was lost. Before that happened though, we had people dropping in with old Happy Hippo Landmarks. We'd try to get them to join our building group, which most of them did. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some other possibilities:

1) to avoid having to pay a setup fee. Buying direct from Linden Lab costs 349$ set up cost.

2) You can't get a grandfathered region from a new purchase from Linden Lab, but can from other residents.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

One reason might be to capture the traffic from the previous version of the region.

 

How long after you buy a sim does the traffic capture the previous activity? Say if I buy a sim that has 10300 traffic how long does it take to drop? A month?

5 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

Some other possibilities:

1) to avoid having to pay a setup fee. Buying direct from Linden Lab costs 349$ set up cost.

 

Some people are asking more than what the set up fee is for a 20k Non GF sim and say it needs to be moved. At that point is there still an advantage?  I also never got the reason why a private region needs to be moved. Doesn't LL determine where the regions are placed?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

How long after you buy a sim does the traffic capture the previous activity? Say if I buy a sim that has 10300 traffic how long does it take to drop? A month?

if i'm not wrong it's counted per day/24h  so in theory it can be 0 (zero, nothing) after tomorrow.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

How long after you buy a sim does the traffic capture the previous activity? Say if I buy a sim that has 10300 traffic how long does it take to drop? A month?

One day. But if the sim was big enough (and you have similar intentions), using the same sim name can carry a reputation.

For example, my friend and I used to run a well known furry sandbox after it was abandoned (for months/year) by the previous founder. It was immediately very popular.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

Some other possibilities:

1) to avoid having to pay a setup fee. Buying direct from Linden Lab costs 349$ set up cost.

2) You can't get a grandfathered region from a new purchase from Linden Lab, but can from other residents.

 

I can see wanting the grandfathered sim because it is less expensive in the long run for sure. But I see people in these forums "selling" their sim that aren't grandfathered and it confused me a bit. maybe their selling fee is less than Linden setup cost..

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Some people are asking more than what the set up fee is for a 20k Non GF sim and say it needs to be moved. At that point is there still an advantage?  I also never got the reason why a private region needs to be moved. Doesn't LL determine where the regions are placed?

That confuses me too. I mean if it's not a grandfathered sim, I don't get why you'd do that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

One day. But if the sim was big enough (and you have similar intentions), using the same sim name can carry a reputation.

For example, my friend and I used to run a well known furry sandbox after it was abandoned (for months/year) by the previous founder. It was immediately very popular.

Oh yes, because people still had the LM from the previous destination..and if you are a similar genre, you get that traffic right away.It's just weird how people advertise their sims in these forums and they get snapped up almost immediately..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Amberyl Ethaniel said:

 maybe their selling fee is less than Linden setup cost..

the LL setup for a Region also includes first month of maintenance fees , so the actual region cost is much lower.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In some cases, it could be because the buyer doesn't want to terraform a region themselves. When you buy a private region directly from LL, you chose a general type of layout, pick an available spot from the map, and they plop the region there for you to make into whatever you want it to be. I can see the appeal of buying one that's already been terraformed nicely.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

the LL setup for a Region also includes first month of maintenance fees , so the actual region cost is much lower.

"maintenance fees"? Tier? so your first month is only just setup fee? That's compelling..hmm.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

In some cases, it could be because the buyer doesn't want to terraform a region themselves. When you buy a private region directly from LL, you chose a general type of layout, pick an available spot from the map, and they plop the region there for you to make into whatever you want it to be. I can see the appeal of buying one that's already been terraformed nicely.

Ah, true. I like terraforming and have seen terrain files for sale on MP but a lot of people like the "no muss" approach..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Amberyl Ethaniel said:

"maintenance fees"? Tier? so your first month is only just setup fee? That's compelling..hmm.

 

Tier is a level of allowed mainland holding, on private regions the costs are monthly Maintenance Fees :) 

the first month is set up fee + first month maintenance fee = $ 349, after the first month $ 229 , so in fact the set up fee itself is $120

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

Tier is a level of allowed mainland holding, on private regions the costs are monthly Maintenance Fees :) 

the first month is set up fee + first month maintenance fee = $ 349, after the first month $ 229 , so in fact the set up fee itself is $120

Oh wow, that's awesome. For some reason when I was looking at the land sales page I assumed it was the 229+349 for first month.I've only rented land from companies Like Azure and Zoha before.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure anyone answered your question about 30K prims. LL will set that up for you when you buy the region. Simply indicate you want to pay for 30K instead, and the monthly $229 price then goes up to $259. I think the set up fee is still the standard $349 regardless.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Not sure anyone answered your question about 30K prims. LL will set that up for you when you buy the region. Simply indicate you want to pay for 30K instead, and the monthly $229 price then goes up to $259. I think the set up fee is still the standard $349 regardless.

I wondered about that, went to the buy page and only 20K was listed. Thank you!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...