Loads infinitely on login, sometimes finishes but then is 0kbps

friskywhisky

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 707 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I can't seem to connect properly, have tried both Firestorm and the Second Life viewer at the current version. Most times when I try to log in the bar gets to the end, saying "Loading world..." and hangs there infinitely. A couple times I got it to go past that, but the connection then shows 0kbps, my avatar can't move, and it soon boots me out. 
I am connected via ethernet to hotel internet (extended stay hotel where I have my pc set up), so it's marked a "Public Network" and it seems to connect fine with great speed for most things, but refuses to connect for SL. PC is Windows 10 with just basic Windows Defender/Windows Firewall and I already tried allowing both viewers through firewall on public network, and also making rules to allow all the ports listed on the "Using SL with a Firewall" guide. I don't think the specs of the PC are relevant because it should be more than enough and this seems to be a connection issue but let me know any additional information someone might need to help. Thank you 

5 answers to this question

It's definitely a connection issue.  Linden Lab neither supports nor recommends connecting with wifi, although it works fine for many people.  Personally, I have rarely found a hotel wifi that offers a signal that is strong and steady enough to let me run SL well.  If I'm lucky, I can log in and then deal with a lot of lag and rubber banding. Just as often, though, I get disconnected the same way you do.  The signal just has to pass through too many walls in a hotel, and it gets messed up by the elevator, the ice machine, and everything else.

• Like 1

It's connected via ethernet cable, not Wifi, but is still using the hotel's provided connection. My PC doesn't even have a wifi card, so it's definitely using the ethernet. 
speedtest.net is showing an average of 43 mbps download and 37 upload. 
I have no trouble accessing websites, youtube videos, etc, but have had some trouble with online games, and now Second Life which will not connect at all. I figure it has to do with some strange security thing, because of it being a public network, since the strength seems to be great but it just refuses to do some games and SL. This last time when I first start SL I got 966 kbps then 1915, but then it quickly dropped to 0 and told me I had been disconnected again, before I could move. 

Bummer.  Yeah, connection speed isn't really relevant.  It's connection stability that makes the difference.  It sounds like your hotel network is great for watching YouTube videos and e-mail, but not stable enough for something like SL, which gets upset when there's much packet loss or when ping time is greater than a couple hundred msec.  If your viewer is out of sync with the SL servers, you're disconnected.

Yeah, it seems to have something to do with the consistency of the connection, I guess. Oddly enough, when I found somewhere to test that - ping.canbeuseful.com it looks plenty consistent and fast, never going above 176 with no lost packets. But I guess maybe the difference is what server that's checking vs the LL ones, or the fact that that's only sending something enough to test it, not a lot of stuff like all the textures and info necessary for SL? I found out I'm having the same problem in VR chat, which I've never tried before but my friend suggested trying, and yeah, that requires a very consistent connection too and behaved similarly, logged in then timed out after about 30-60 seconds. When pressing CTRL-SHIFT-1 to bring up more info in Firestorm, I found out that while it says I have 0% lost packets, it said I have 1000 ms ping. Meanwhile all the sites I have used to test my ping give me somewhere between 140-150, including one of the online games that I did get to work. So, it seems like the connection isn't consistent enough - but every way that I've found to check it, it SEEMS consistent... except for opening SL or VR chat. just weird. Oh well. Kind of sad - I'll be here for a couple months, extended stay, settled in almost like an apartment, and it's the first time I've HAD internet for my PC in a while, so I was looking forward to being able to play on SL and other stuff! Thank you anyway Rolig, I'll try asking the front desk to reset the router, but otherwise I'll just chill and take a break and play something offline, haha. 

Screenshot_18.png

Screenshot_15.png

Edited by friskywhisky
added a "thank you"

Yeah, they said they reset the router, then I unplugged the ethernet cable, restarted my computer, and plugged it back in and it still is behaving exactly the same. I also noticed today that there's a box near the entrance of the building that says Starlink, since LL says they can't guarantee it to work with satellite, I'll assume this is the problem, or perhaps that there's too many devices on the network since it's a hotel, or perhaps some combination thereof. Oh well, if anybody has any other suggestions to try I'll keep checking updates on this thread and anything else is appreciated, but for now, I'll just assume it can't be done on this connection. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 707 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.