Language schools in SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 556 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Does anyone have any nice references that link to language schools available in SL?  I'm not having much luck finding anything current while searching but I would be surprised if there are not semi- formal or formal language schools within SL.  Just seems like such the perfect venue to immerse and learn a new language.     I am hoping to start some courses in Portuguese and I'd love to combine learning with SL if there are options available within Second Life.    

I've seen a few in the events section, lemme see if I can pull up a few links. . .

I thought there were more, but all I'm seeing at the moment is classes for learning English

https://secondlife.com/my/community/events/event.php?id=8578668

https://secondlife.com/my/community/events/event.php?id=8611147

• Like 3

Thank you Quistess!   This helps.   Those links show in events and I've been searching forums and just doing google searches so I didn't see these and honestly did not think to search events, HA  ...  However, I can do some more event searches and then check out these places to see if they offer other languages as well.   This points me in the right direction.   Thank you so much!  

• 4 weeks later...

I've also just seen the one Rowan mentioned here. In- world, I've seen some role playing schools that offered language classes, but have no idea how good those are if you really want to learn a language.

Now I'm actually thinking that it would be great if there was a place in SL with boards where people could enter themselves and look for language exchange partners, especially if they already have basic knowledge, and want to learn a language as it's spoken casually, not so much textbook like, practice conversation, and such. It might be most efficient for people with advanced knowledge. Kind of like adoption centers or boards, just that two people would adopt each other as language buddies, could set up regular meetings, and also send quick messages back and forth in between, if anything pops up that they'd like to ask a native speaker.

For most beginners, probably, language schools are better, though. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

If you already have some knowledge a language buddy is a good way to improve it, especially in listening and speaking skills. I learned English basically watching Friends and talk to natives online (and still learning as I make some mistakes and not 100% perfect yet). Of course I had a previous basic level as English is teaching as a second language at brazilian schools. I'm glad to know you want to learn Portuguese. It's not uncommon to find Portuguese spearks in-world, we are in any place as we are in a large number in SL. If you need some help of learning it, please contact me in-world. I am not a Portuguese teacher but I am a native speaker. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 556 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.