Modelling Sun position to reflect RL geographic location

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 709 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi All:  I've been using SL for awhile to visualize changes to my house and property, so I have a reasonably accurate 3d model of my property.  I am now looking at installing solar panels on my RL carriage house. 

Are there any tools that would allow you to model the actual position of the sun based on the Long/Lat position and date/time.

I have several shadow sources and I am trying to get an assessment of their impact.

What I was thinking was acquiring some land, setting the Lat/Long then running some models

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

When

• Like 1

You can do this, and I have - although it's a lot of manual data entry and some manual recalculations due to quirks in the EEP system.

Try going to this website to get yourself started: https://www.suncalc.org/

As a side note - PLEASE don't use Second Life as a replacement for a more accurate climate rendering model - Shadows in SL are not great at the best of times in terms of accuracy!

• Like 1

Hi Jenna:

Thanks for the info, looking for approx anyways, it will help with a go/nogo for solar cells.  I want to visualize the shadows and I already have a scale model of my place in SL.  All I need are the angles of the sun to be close to my RL angles.

I'm familiar with the suncalc website.  I have been looking at EEP and it seems to allow you to set the sun position via scripts and/or preset day cycles. I am investigating that now.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 709 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.