Premium Plus and Linden Homes

Teresa Firelight
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 435 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I heard that later this month Premium Plus will be announced and made available. The lab has let out a few hints about what it entails but they are guarding the full details until the announcement. This is my best guess as to what it will entail, based mostly on a video of one of the UG meetings: https://dreamersvirtualworld.blogspot.com/2022/04/premium-plus-is-coming-in-may.html

Of course this is only guesses on my part and nothing official. I believe that we wont get any additional premium homes or additional LI allowance (that one based on something one of the Lindens said at a public meeting). But we will get roughly twice the Land Allowance (e.,g. 2048 sq) which enables us to get a mainland as well as a Bellisserian home. (I have a Horizons parcel, so that is a big plus for me.)

I believe we will get more than twice the groups of a premium... e.g., guessing either 142 which is 100 more groups than basic... or maybe 150 even. That in and of itself would probably be enough to tip me to premium plus, as I could sure use the additional groups.

I think the $L300 weekly allowance (e.g, stipend)  also doubles to $L600 -- giving us more money to spend on furniture and landscaping for our premium homes.

Also (and this is not a guess cuz Patch told me directly at a public meeting) that we will get some type of lower upload fees. He did not say how much of a discount but I am hoping maybe these fees will be cut in half.

And as the guy in the video said, since we are getting more than twice as much benefits, it will probably also cost twice as much. Each of us will have to decide if the increased features are worth the increased cost.

The beauty of this, of course, is that it is no skin off the backs of those who don't want to spend extra money for extra benefits, because they will continue to get what they pay for with Premium. And for those without a paid account, I doubt they will see any reduction in benefits either.

I have to hear the full details to be sure, but I think premium plus is going to be well worth it for me. I can hardly wait for the full announcement.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

I don't see anything in that list of interest to me. There would need to be some clear advantage of having one premium plus account over two regular premium accounts, and I'm not seeing it.

With the exception of Linden Homes, all my land dealings are done in the name of my group, so all tier just gets dumped into that group. The current group allowance is more than sufficient for my purposes. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

With 70 groups I already spend way too much time closing group chats and notices as they pop up.

Firestorm lets me set a group to no chat -- I have that set on the majority of my groups.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Teresa Firelight said:

I believe we will get more than twice the groups of a premium... e.g., guessing either 142 which is 100 more groups than basic... or maybe 150 even. That in and of itself would probably be enough to tip me to premium plus, as I could sure use the additional groups.

That's the least likely possibility for purely technical reasons. Groups in SL are far more complicated that you would presume and people being in lots of groups is a pinch point server side. If you remember they did try to claw back the number of groups for basic accounts for this reason alone. I would consider us lucky if we got any new group slots with the system as it operates .. and if we do, I would expect that to have a net negative effect on group function as a whole.

I think the $L300 weekly allowance (e.g, stipend)  also doubles to $L600 -- giving us more money to spend on furniture and landscaping for our premium homes.

Agreed,  larger stipend will be part of the package, although the size will depend on how much extra premium ploooze costs. I'm expecting it to be a similar proportional return to what we get now.

Also (and this is not a guess cuz Patch told me directly at a public meeting) that we will get some type of lower upload fees. He did not say how much of a discount but I am hoping maybe these fees will be cut in half.

This is a waste of time and a complete none event unless upload fees are going to go up for everyone else .. it's costs practically nothing to put content in SL and the upload fee isn't a fee, it's a brake. It only exists to stop people dumping their entire hard drive onto LL's CDN or other dumb "because I could" hacky pet projects.

10L to upload a picture vs 5L .. it's not a big deal, it's less than half a penny for what is functionally forever cloud storage.

For mesh, well .. that's why we have the beta grid.

I have to hear the full details to be sure, but I think premium plus is going to be well worth it for me. I can hardly wait for the full announcement.

Stipend and Tier are the only points that will matter when determining value, unless revamping the membership imposes new arbitrary limits to lower levels.

• Like 8

The only things that will make me go Plus are stipend and tier. Mostly tier. I don't need more groups, and 10 L to upload is fine since I also don't upload much. I guess if you are a creator  the upload fee will be a major factor, but not for me.

That said I would only go plus if it is cheaper then having 2 premium. Even if the stipend more than doubles (it was said in that meeting that what was talked about would double, or more), unless it is a big increase (I doubt it) I would prefer to have 2 premiums for the same price as plus. Unless tier would upgrade to more than 2048. that would be worth it.

I'm waiting to see prices and what it will bring. I know the thing that sells is land and LH, they know it too

• Like 10

18 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

the 400 and 500 double too?

No, Reed Linden said the grandfathered accounts will have the same as any Plus if they upgrade. It wasn't clear what  would happen if they downgrade from Plus 

Edited by Tary Allen
add info
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I currently have 3 Premiums, though I might drop one off on their next renewal -- haven't really been spending much time at the Linden Home that they own.  The only reason I would drop the other one and upgrade to Plus is if it turns out to be more beneficial, tier-wise, for less cost.  The tier is really the only reason I have that other Premium.  Right now I keep her around because without her I would be paying $13/mth in tier costs -- and that is far more per year than the Premium fee (not even considering any L$ stipend offset).

• Like 4

How will they address that a major selling point for me, and the only reason I am premium is to obtain a linden home? What on that front is getting better, and how to deal with residents wanting to hold multiple homes under one accounts, for billing&convenience? If I can hold two per account I’m in! 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, yestothis said:

How will they address that a major selling point for me, and the only reason I am premium is to obtain a linden home? What on that front is getting better, and how to deal with residents wanting to hold multiple homes under one accounts, for billing&convenience? If I can hold two per account I’m in! 

Yes, that is the question, I don't know if thre are enough LH to supply a bigger demand. Most people that have several premiums because of LH would probably concentrate in  premium plus, but there would be also people upgrading accounts that have only one, those would be the main target (the others are already paying it). Are there enough houses? I don't know, but I guess the Lab does.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

That's the least likely possibility for purely technical reasons. Groups in SL are far more complicated that you would presume and people being in lots of groups is a pinch point server side. If you remember they did try to claw back the number of groups for basic accounts for this reason alone. I would consider us lucky if we got any new group slots with the system as it operates .. and if we do, I would expect that to have a net negative effect on group function as a whole.

Pls watch the video. The Linden in it says that groups will more than double. since we get 70 now, it should be at least 2*70 + 1 (141)... I am guessing 142 cuz that is a round number above when unpaid accounts get. (unless maybe he meant more than double the unpaid accounts which would be 2*42+1 or at least 83.. which is not much of an increase from Premium's 70. I think it will go to at least 142 based on that video.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I watched the video -- using Inara's summary (https://modemworld.me/2022/04/07/april-2022-web-user-group-summary-premium-plus/) to know which sections to listen to.  Roughly 8:33-10:30.  Benefits specifically mentioned as increasing:  Stipend, tier, group slots.  Phrases that I noted:

"cost might be close to double", "close to double the stuff" (talking about benefits compared to current), "stipend will be more than double",  "in some cases more than double" (benefits compared to current)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'll do the sums for both types of account. See which is cheaper. Even as a creator, cheaper uploads isn't a huge draw, as most products pay back their upload costs in a few sales. Other things might be nice perks, but not enough to want to pay more for them.

• Like 4

Id go premium plus double annual up front for private grid locally hosted and play offline options. Linden Home Office. Be Part of The Lab and Enjoy Your Own. That should be upfront free as every other virtual world offers. Pretty bad when residents beg to spend money on things that are free elsewhere? search linden home office for more specifiics really dont want to pitch that again...I want to unplug my internet and work in peace without wondering if im being spectated. I could get this with open sim right now and may have to learn how to do all that so I have a nice place to lay all my stuff out and work to provide content to this place....

Edited by Paulsian
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Paulsian said:

Id go premium plus double annual up front for private grid locally hosted and play offline options. Linden Home Office. Be Part of The Lab and Enjoy Your Own. That should be upfront free as every other virtual world offers. Pretty bad when residents beg to spend money on things that are free elsewhere? search linden home office for more specifiics really dont want to pitch that again...I want to unplug my internet and work in peace without wondering if im being spectated. I could get this with open sim right now and may have to learn how to do all that so I have a nice place to lay all my stuff out and work to provide content to this place....

The sims basically 

if sims allowed building in their game the way sl does and has a way to upload and sell user created content and they allow users to work and customize their own virtual work space. Blender is open source,  add some of the blender advanced build tool options to the second life private resident locally hosted grid via a blender overlay. Blender within second life using the second life controls would be transformational. The real life world is full of future builders. New residents are like pandas, without the perfect environment they will not survive. 

Edited by Paulsian

I heard that many groups is slowing us or lagging us. I am not sure if this is true or a superstition.

It was surprisingly easy for me to cut down to 40 groups, and have 2 slots open. All those "pay 25 L to join" had I joined just for a simple group gift, and I doubted they will come with something good. I consider group fees as payment for the gift, and it will make me think twice, if I do not want it for 25 or 49 or 99 L, do I really want it?

I also has 2 land groups among those 40 groups.

If stores like Apple Fall or COCO start with a fee, I get in trouble. Not because I would not pay, but they take up a group slot.

So over 100 groups will mean clogging up with groups I don't need or joined for some rubbish.

2048 m sound interesting, but not as much as I hoped for. Will not LL see the Mainland be populated again?

"Stipend will be more than double" is very interesting. When they use the word "will" instead of "may" it sounds sure.

Yes, I will have to do the math, that is for sure. Two Premium Plus avatars will let me hold 4098 m without tier, that is what I have been used to. And if it is a stipend of 700 per week, two avatars is 1400 L x 4, that is 5600 L per month, and now it becomes big enough money to matter. If the price for Plus is doubled, I would demand more than 600 per week to se it worth having two Plus instead of 4 regular Premium.

Why double the price if it is the same benefits as for two? If they want us to go over to Plus, they need to throw in some sugar. 2048 m for no tier was less than I hoped for. Does it not cost money for LL to have all that empty Mainland? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I am interested but can't even speculate what it brings. I have been into playing Game of Homes, which overall (plus socializing) is probably the main reason I play this game. I look forward to the new Sakura theme. There is really nothing left on the older themes I am chasing, and Newbrook though its adorable is not my thing. I tried several nice ones, but I let them all go. My main thing is Victorians and I have some very pretty ones. I would not mind having some mainland if I could find some that had the protected views that LHs have. (LOL) I already know if I get mainland, I won't be there enough to keep it. I am already paying to have a few alts on Linden Homes, and that is where I tend to be. I had a lovely homestead for about six months, but I also realized I was just not there enough to keep it either. I have Fay parked on a wonderful Victorian using up her tier.  If they expand tier with premium plus, I might look into a small slice of mainland again. The groups thing is a nice thing too, but I don't need twice as many, nice to have the option there though. More stipend, well that would be great, but I reckon the stipend is coming from the new premium plus pricing, so is that a deal? I will have to wait and see! :) 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

I heard that many groups is slowing us or lagging us. I am not sure if this is true or a superstition.

It was surprisingly easy for me to cut down to 40 groups, and have 2 slots open. All those "pay 25 L to join" had I joined just for a simple group gift, and I doubted they will come with something good. I consider group fees as payment for the gift, and it will make me think twice, if I do not want it for 25 or 49 or 99 L, do I really want it?

I also has 2 land groups among those 40 groups.

If stores like Apple Fall or COCO start with a fee, I get in trouble. Not because I would not pay, but they take up a group slot.

So over 100 groups will mean clogging up with groups I don't need or joined for some rubbish.

2048 m sound interesting, but not as much as I hoped for. Will not LL see the Mainland be populated again?

"Stipend will be more than double" is very interesting. When they use the word "will" instead of "may" it sounds sure.

Yes, I will have to do the math, that is for sure. Two Premium Plus avatars will let me hold 4098 m without tier, that is what I have been used to. And if it is a stipend of 700 per week, two avatars is 1400 L x 4, that is 5600 L per month, and now it becomes big enough money to matter. If the price for Plus is doubled, I would demand more than 600 per week to se it worth having two Plus instead of 4 regular Premium.

Why double the price if it is the same benefits as for two? If they want us to go over to Plus, they need to throw in some sugar. 2048 m for no tier was less than I hoped for. Does it not cost money for LL to have all that empty Mainland? 

That is such a thoughtful analysis, thank you very much!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Why double the price if it is the same benefits as for two?

What he said was "the cost might be close to double".  That sounds to me like they will make the price a bit less than double.  Otherwise, as you mentioned, nobody would bother.

He also said that the benefits will be 'close to double' current stuff, "in some cases more than double". 

So double some benefits, more than double some benefits, some new stuff like reduced upload fees -- all for a bit less than double the price.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

What he said was "the cost might be close to double".  That sounds to me like they will make the price a bit less than double.  Otherwise, as you mentioned, nobody would bother.

He also said that the benefits will be 'close to double' current stuff, "in some cases more than double". 

So double some benefits, more than double some benefits, some new stuff like reduced upload fees -- all for a bit less than double the price.

I was chatting with someone yesterday about this and he said he would go for it at 130 instead of 100 yearly (plus tax). My best guess really depends how much gets added into the Premium Plus benefits.  IF there is the ability to have a 2048 mainland with no tier and IF they do double the stipend (which of course AGAIN is only giving you back YOUR money (head shaking)) then I am guessing  in the $225 - $250 range yearly -- that's basically 20 per month if paid yearly.  Look at how the name change came out. LL isn't going to do all of this work   without making a profit.  It will be good  and acceptable for some folks and not so much for others -- just like the name change. 

The 2048 is a good move to help the oh so empty mainland; it has been years since that got a boost.  The stipend is a wash income wise although it gives LL more working capital -- in essence users are loaning them money and getting that money back in payments).  Some thing like more groups have little to no additional costs as far as I can see.   I guess the deciding pivotal cost would be the upload costs changes.  I have no idea how that would impact overall. Obviously that would help creators more than anyone else.  Again, hard to guess when we don't know what is going to actually be included. 

I am not a candidate for this option but I certainly am interested to see how it plays out and very happy that it has actually come to fruition finally (fingers crossed).  

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 435 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.