What Web Browsier is Best?

Mayalily

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4690 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You can try running Firefox in safe mode and see if it helps. Click Help/Restart with Add-ons Disabled. It could very well be an add-on that's causing your problem. If it works well in safe mode then you may want to disable all of your add-ons (you can do that through the Restart with Add-ons Disabled menu)  them add them back one by one until you find the culprit... I've had to do that once before with the previous version. It's a pain, but that way you probably won't have to reinstall it.

Also, run Ccleaner or something comparable, defragment your system drive and make sure windows is up to date. This can help and it's a good thing to do anyway.

Then if you get it running correctly, install MosBackup, and create a backup with it... it can really come in handy. Although, it may not have helped in this case (if the problem is being caused by an add-on that doesn't get along with the newest version) most of the time it's a big help when things go wrong. Plus it saves your settings and favorites, which for me change a lot, so I usually back it up pretty often.

Hope this helps... Dres

Mayalily wrote:

It could be there are other browers because Microsoft had so many monopoly issues.   I'm not really sure?

To some extent, yes. Netscape was *the* browser before Microsoft grasped the internet, and then there were two main ones. There were probably one or two minor ones but they didn't matter to website designers - like Opera never mattered. It could be said that Microsoft was the interloper who wanted to corner the market but, since the internet was taking hold and Microsoft abandoned their idea of creating their own internet (MSN - MicroSort Network), it would have been silly not to bundle a browser with Windows.

Netscape folded because they were down to a very small piece of the market. They'd tried to recapture some market share by shooting off at an angle with NS4 but it didn't work. They just made it worse so they folded. Then Firefox came along as an open source project - possibly, as you suggested, to try and break IE's massive market share, and it did cut into it a lot. Then Google created their Chrome browser *because* (imo) they want to monopolise the web. They are trying to be to the web what Microsoft is to the computer - imo.

Just a couple things to add here.  First, Ubuntu came very close to switching from Firefox to Chrome as the default browser in their latest release.  That's partially because of perceived future advantages of Chrome's tight coupling to Linux, in Chrome OS, so maybe not much relevant to Windows users.

But that's the second point:  At the moment, I wouldn't stake anything on Microsoft.  They still rule the desktop, but their future in servers is looking very grim.  One tiny example of how they've allowed themselves to become vulnerable: Los Angeles is in the process of switching their calendaring system from some Novell-proprietary something-or-other to Google on the cloud.  Why, you may ask, is this bad for Microsoft?  As enterprises and government migrate to the cloud, there's ever less reason for Exchange.  That's less reason for Exchange Server.  And less reason for IIS.  And before long, that integration among very expensively licensed server components suddenly looks like a house of cards. 

Microsoft will be lucky if it doesn't pull the desktop down with it.  (Google Docs spreadsheets now have pivot tables.  I haven't used Excel since.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4690 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.