What Web Browsier is Best?

Mayalily

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4696 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What web browser do u use and what do u think is the best?  I've noticed since firefox updated to 4.0, it's hard to log in and work the SL web page here and other things are slower on the net.  My computer hates the new firefox update for some reason; it gets so slow like dial-up used to be for me.

What web browser are u on and what would u suggest is the best web browser to download from the ones in the following link?  When you click on the little video it gives you an option of browsers to choose from.  I want to ditch firefox 4.0 'cuz it's too slow and plodding.  Any suggestions for me or anyone have any of these other browsers suggested in the video link here?  The SL web page takes way too long too load for me on the new firefox and I've noticed this from the very beginning of the new firefox 4.0 download.  I could load SL web page so much faster before before firefox 4.0. 

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/what-is-browser.html

i've used google chrome exclusively for the last 3 years it doesn't seem to have any problems with the SL site and it's always fast to start-up and load pages i've tried firefox i found it so slow i could go out the room make a hot drink and it still hadn't loaded when i got back :smileyvery-happy: IE isn't much better either it's slow and frequently goes not responding and often once it stops responding it never starts responding again

:matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:  This is first time I've heard of this google chrome browser when I watched that little video.  It sounds like you are having a good time with it.  :)  I just might try that one.  Thanks, and anyone can join in about SL and their browsing with their browser.  

I use Safari, both on a PC and a Mac. So far it has worked very well. Not a single problem, actually. Pages load quickly, and everything on the websites - community, secondlife.com and marketplace - works well.

At times I use Opera and it works mostly fine. It does crash from time to time, particularly on the marketplace.

My advice to you is - try them all and see which one works best for you.

- Luc -

Mayalily wrote:

:matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:  This is first time I've heard of this google chrome browser when I watched that little video.  It sounds like you are having a good time with it. 
:)
  I just might try that one.  Thanks, and anyone can join in about SL and their browsing with their browser.  

it's very sleek and stremlined you don't get all the junk other browsers have that take up your viewing space the tabs and url bar  and an optional bookmark bar are pretty much it the rest is the webpage
chromeview.png

So does this new update from firefox; it crashes and takes forever to load Marketplace... forever!  Somebody made a goof in this new download; I never seen firefox like this before.   It takes like five minutes or more to just open up Marketplace.  It's horrible now.   And, I get this stupid message that says "connecting"  "connecting"  "connecting" and it's not connecting. 

I'll try downloading several, might be worth a try. 

I use Firefox and haven't had any problems with it since 4.0 came out. I did have an issue once before... I think it was an add-on I tried out that screwed something up, but I was able to restore a backup I made with MozBackup and it's been fine ever since.

I like it much better than IE, especially because of the customization ability. I especially like being able to use Cerise's scripts for the SL Forum... I believe they work with Chrome as well. I've tried Chrome but really haven't used it enough to form any sort of informed opinion about it.

...Dres

So you don't get that message that says "connecting" "connecting" "connecting" and it takes forever to connect to Marketplace?  I do.  I never had any problem with firefox before this latest update.  This new update reminds me of dial-up.  I may have downloaded an odd tool bar or add-on or something, but I didn't see where it gave u a choice? 

It's a pity that there are choices at all. I used to create websites and it was always a pain to have to include things to accommodate IE and Netscape, plus earlier versions of each. I was delighted when Netscape folded and left us only having to accommodate IE. But it didn't last. Firefox came along and was erroneously plugged as the "safe" one to use (it was safer, not because it didn't have any security flaws but because it wasn't well used enough to be a target at the time). Then Google launched their Chrome browser, so it's now worse than it used to be for website designers. None of them have ever been fully compliant with the W3C recommendations so that was never the difficulty.

But that's not what you asked - it was just my personal thing. I've no idea which the best browser to use is. I use IE9 on both my desktop and my laptop, and this forum performs differently on the two machines. It's fine on the laptop but the tabs overwrite the top half of breadcrumb links, and part of the search text box, on this desktop.

Claireschen Hesten wrote:

i've used google chrome exclusively for the last 3 years

Anything but Google Chrome is ok.

Chrome stores passwords in plain text format, even for sites that encrypt them. There's a simple click and display feature in the preference panel of Chrom that will open a window showing ALL current passwords on ALL websites you've been to, in plain text.

I use Chrome 12.0.x (always latest version), Firefox 4.0.x (always latest version), IE 9, Opera, Safari, Aurora and Chrome Canary (the latter 2 are FF and Chrome beta builds). All work excellent.

Did that help you? Probably not. Asking what browser is the best is like asking SL users what Viewer is the best. Nobody here can give you a correct answer but only opinions and most people never use any other browser other than their preferred browser to give you a real reason as to why their chosen browser is “the best”.

Here are just two comparisons of the two things I think are most important in how I rank my preffered browsers: (Keep in mind that everything depends on many factors that vary from person to person, like internet speed, OS etc.)

My ranking according to speed: Considers Startup time, Navigation time and time it takes to install. 

#1 Google Chrome

#2 Firefox 4

#3 IE 9

#4 Opera

#5 Safari

Canary and Aurora are beta builds.

My Ranking according to Ease of use

#1 Google Chrome

#2 IE 9

#3 Firefox 4

#4 Safar

i#5 Opera

Canary and Aurora are beta builds.

I can get into more detail but those two things I guess are the most important. As to what browser I use the most? I use Chrome the most followed by Firefox. I switch back and forth between all browsers depending on what I am doing at the time. 

Edit: I should add that broken websites resulting from the use of IE 9 is really the shortcoming of the web developer (like this website) and not that of IE 9 and as much as I like to bash Microsft from time to time this is a fact. 

if you are security conscious, anything but IE on on windows system. the high level of integration with the OS makes it a prime target for attacks. that statement has nothing to do with how (in)secure it may be, and everything to do with both the complexity of securing it and big red bulls-eye painted on it because of it's level of integration.

if you are feature conscious, especially if you want add ons, firefox is the leader there, with chrome being a close second.

I've found that they can all be tweaked to have a minimal visual footprint, although IE is now the bulkiest minimum interface.

Yeah, sounds like a pain for you.  Sorry to hear that.  It could be there are other browers because Microsoft had so many monopoly issues.   I'm not really sure?  I learn new stuff every day about putters and to me a lot of stuff is over my head.  But, I know I need a new browser for sure and asap. 

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

George Orellana wrote:

This is incorrect information. You have the ability to turn the storage of any information off. 

One has only to walk up to any computer that has Chrome on it as something used, open Chrome, and see all the passwords there that have been saved in it...

You can't blame the stupidity of others on the browser itself. The option to have the browser not save anything even url history is there, if people don't use it then the browser is not at fault. 

Okay, computer dummie here.

I tried to download Google Chrome but couldn't find the tool bar for Google Chrome... where is it?  I have no tool bar for Chrome?

I think I might try to download some form of IE, but I have Windows XP... what's a good one for that?

(This is an important question because inside my SL viewer it has a box to check that says use my default browser and my default browser is and was Firefox (but I'd like to change my default browser because it's so slow for me now; it's almost worse than dial-up).  We also have on our computer IE not downloaded if that makes sense.  We undid MS IE for security reasons but this computer is getting to be a clunker now so I don't mind some form of IE now.)

ETA:  We haven't had IE installed for years and have been using Firefox for years with no problems 'til now.. so I'm not too familiar with IE anymore because we haven't used it nor had it even downloaded for years. 

ETA again:  If anyone can send me an IM to help me through this, I'd appreciate it because I have no tool bar for Chrome, so I don't know what's up with that.  I can't use a computer without a toolbar? 

ETA:  My post is no diss against Microsoft.  We were just trying to avoid some of the huge cyberattacks and viruses Microsoft was experiencing for awhile there, and then we got to love Firefox, but now I think I got some kind of add-on or something from the last Firefox download and it's messed up now.   My SL was great with Firefox before their latest update.  I also think it's possible that MS is experiencing less of these worms and cyberattacks because so many people are recommending IE.  So, IE sounds like it's a lot more safe now, hopefully. 

Mayalily wrote:

Okay, computer dummie here.

I tried to download Google Chrome but couldn't find the tool bar for Google Chrome... where is it?  I have no tool bar for Chrome?

Hi, that is right, Chrome defaults to a very minimal interface, Search and URLs share the same address bar, and the menus are under the wrench/spanner icon at the top right. Some features like translation, Flash, PDF, etc. are built in, so add ons are often not needed.

To get a conventional bookmarks bar, click the wrench, pick Options, and look in the Basics section for that, a Home button, default search engine, etc. If there are other features like RSS that you want, try the Chrome Web Store -- it is called a store but most things are free there.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4696 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.