Oooo a New Shiny. Event Regions - What do you think of this?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 697 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

$899 per month seems incredibly steep. Not sure how many event organisers want to pay almost $600 more just to have more shoppers at the same time. Seems like quite the cut into the profit margins.

• Like 13

1 minute ago, So Whimsy said:

$899 per month seems incredibly steep. Not sure how many event organisers want to pay almost $600 more just to have more shoppers at the same time. Seems like quite the cut into the profit margins.

I guess if you have the money, an SL region that "works better" is worth it! 

I hope all SL regions "work better" someday!

• Like 5

1 minute ago, So Whimsy said:

I guess it depends how much they are already spending on cam sims, maybe a couple of the really big events would move over but I can't see all of them doing it.

• Like 2

Anymore, cam sims are only needed for a couple of days and certainly not for a month.  It might be less expensive in the long run especially for bigger anniversary events like Fameshed is having if everyone is giving out a gift.  Any other time, they really aren't that bad.

• Like 3

Linden Lab have just announced new event regions

We are really excited to present this new region offering to you today.  Here are the details on the capabilities and what is included with the Event Regions type:

• A maximum avatar limit of 175 per Event region
  • Up to 30,000 land impact
    *Region will support up to 30,000 Land Impact. During performance testing, Linden Lab has identified a few cases where exceeding 20,000 Land Impact will degrade performance with a large number of concurrent visitors.
  • Extended chat ranges upon request, allowing chat to travel further across the region
  • RaaS: Rollbacks as a Service - Request to restore your region to a previous state as needed. Some restrictions apply
  • IaaS: Instancing as a Service - Request to have your region duplicated to another region
  • White glove Concierge service
  • Over 20% Improved script performance

Pricing Details:

For initial release, we are pleased to offer an introductory price of $599, with no additional setup fee through June 6, 2022. Following the introductory pricing, event regions will have a set-up fee of US$999 (includes first month), and a rate of $899/month after the first 30 days.

What do you think about the new region offering ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• Lindens
11 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Don't see the justification for the increased setup costs either. I would assume the it is just a couple of configuration settings and then execute it.

Hiya! I know the setup cost is confusing the way we do it. It's actually only $100 on top of the monthly fee - so it's $100+1st months rent to get it set up after the introductory pricing period. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Grumpity Linden said:

Hiya! I know the setup cost is confusing the way we do it. It's actually only $100 on top of the monthly fee - so it's $100+1st months rent to get it set up after the introductory pricing period. 

Yah sorry, I was thinking about that while I was busy doing something else and realized i needed to amend my post on the setup cost because I didn't account for the free month.

1 minute ago, Grumpity Linden said:

That's good to know. :)

I did go back and reread the notice at a slow rate and saw the "will have a set-up fee of US$999 (includes first month)."

• Like 1

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, Stephanie Lovely said:

I guess it depends how much they are already spending on cam sims, maybe a couple of the really big events would move over but I can't see all of them doing it.

We did find in our testing, that "cam regions" can be detrimental to the main event's hosting region.   

• Thanks 8
  • Haha 1

If you look in the Knowledge Base, you'll see that LL has always made it possible to rent full private regions by the day, for $50/day.  That amounts to $1500 for a month.  If you're planning a major event that's more than a week or two long, the new deal looks pretty good, especially with the expanded L.I. and avatar limits.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Rolig Loon said:

If you look in the Knowledge Base, you'll see that LL has always made it possible to rent full private regions by the day, for $50/day.  That amounts to $1500 for a month.  If you're planning a major event that's more than a week long, the new deal looks pretty good, especially with the expanded L.I. and avatar limits.

If they extend that pricing to this new region setup yes.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Stephanie Lovely said:

Hmm that is true, didn't think about the cam sims, but how many events even have them? Can barely think of a handful, if that.

These prices are out of control.

I said it somewhere else- one can buy a dedicated server box outright for 800 bucks, and get a dedicated fiber connection for 80 a month or less. Why are we paying thousands for a virtual server?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, Daniel Voyager said:

With almost 200 avatars in the new event regions what was the lag like from the testing ? 

It was good.  One of the sample events we tested had hit capacity.  Most were in draw distance, no "cam" regions.  My personal experience had me walking around in the region freely, feeling no incumbrances, and with a subjectively reasonable FPS..  Metrics and feedback show better results than similarly loaded events taking place at a third of that capacity (and frustrating to experience).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Patch Linden said:

It was good.  One of the sample events we tested had hit capacity.  Most were in draw distance, no "cam" regions.  My personal experience had me walking around in the region freely, feeling no incumbrances, and with a subjectively reasonable FPS..  Metrics and feedback show better results than similarly loaded events taking place at a third of that capacity (and frustrating to experience).

So we gonna also have Roleplaying Regions in the future too? 

• Lindens
6 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

So we gonna also have Roleplaying Regions in the future too? 

Event Regions as a product are certainly not limited to actually running events. They can be used to host Roleplaying Regions or any other purpose our residents desire! 

• Like 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 697 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.