Bellisseria Railroads

diamond Marchant

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Do you think Bellisseria should have railroads?

Would you like to live next to the tracks?

OP's clarificatiion: The other railroad thread concerns the status of the railroad and observation/suggestions by rail users. This tread is about how residents might feel about railroads in the context of prioritization of scare resources for constructing Bellisseria.

Bellisseria Railbed_001.jpg

Edited by diamond Marchant
OP clarification
  • Like 5

Here is a previous thread that talks about the Bellisseria Railroad.  You might want to just resurrect that thread - or at least skim the previous comments.  Lots of people love the railroad there and many people like living near the tracks.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Here is a previous thread that talks about the Bellisseria Railroad.  You might want to just resurrect that thread - or at least skim the previous comments.  Lots of people love the railroad there and many people like living near the tracks.

Yep, proximity to a railroad line has always been a draw to me!

• Like 4

LOVE the railroads!  Love love love.  I love, too, that I get to watch as the continent is being created, resource by resource, region by region.  That it will all someday be "finished" to me is kind of sad and I wish it would be an ever-expanding ever-growing always-in-flux entity.  (I know, silly and naive. But real.)  So I'm glad things are going at the speed of Moles, or at the speed of work-days, or whatever speed we're traveling at.  The speed of railroads lol

Edit: would I love to live next to the tracks? Heck yeah.  In between tracks and a big lake is the dream.  Rails on one side, water on the other, that's a bingo!

Edited by Virtue Demina
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Tary Allen said:

I would love a railroad near my place ( if I was in an land home).

Since I don't restrict view inside my parcels (I like to see what is going outside) I could see trains passing by. 

If I stand on the front porch of my RL home at around 9 p.m. and there is not too much wind or other noise, I can hear the train whistle from the tracks along our river, about 3 miles away.  It's a little secret, just me and the train....  🙂

• Like 7

The Polar Express

I live about the same distance from some railroad tracks. It's great to be able to hear that lovely whistle every now and then. I've been in love with rail travel ever since I was in kindergarten. We had a class trip on a train from Flint to Durand, Michigan. I've been hooked ever since. I moved to San Francisco via the California Zephyr back in 1976. Paid $50 to return home to Michigan by way of Greyhound. Never missed owning a car when I lived in SF. Public transportation has always been my thing.

Edited by Marisa Starbrook
Added link
  • Like 4

I scored a trad with tracks next to it and really liked it. I like rl trains too, unless I have to wait for one with 1000s of containers and then they stop back up stop back up more stop wait 5 min bangbangbangnforward for 5 min stop bang lol.. 

• Haha 4

38 minutes ago, Leora Greenwood said:

When I rolled this Chalet I knew I had found a perfect spot for me:

I am SO glad you got that parcel!  When exploring the chalet rails recently, I remember hoping that a transit fan got that!   Lots of spots near chalet waterways are just wonderful.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I love the Bellisseria railroads. It was a very big surprise to me that they even built them for us to use. If there were no railroads, roads, community areas or water, what would there be? Empty homes locked with overpowered security devices and banlines. Sounds very familiar, I'm quite sure that's been done before.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Paulsian said:

I scored a trad with tracks next to it and really liked it. I like rl trains too, unless I have to wait for one with 1000s of containers and then they stop back up stop back up more stop wait 5 min bangbangbangnforward for 5 min stop bang lol.. 

There are railroad tracks near Bishop International Airport. People were constantly being delayed by freight trains. I never missed a flight, but I could imagine that happening. Finally a bridge was built to avoid the issue. 

• Like 3

On 5/2/2022 at 1:30 PM, diamond Marchant said:

Do you think Bellisseria should have railroads?

Would you like to live next to the tracks?

OP's clarificatiion: The other railroad thread concerns the status of the railroad and observation/suggestions by rail users. This tread is about how residents might feel about railroads in the context of prioritization of scare resources for constructing Bellisseria.

Bellisseria Railbed_001.jpg

What "scarce resources"? It's not the typo, it's a genuine question. I love boating, too, so water is a bigger draw than the railroads. 

Edited by Marisa Starbrook
  • Like 3

I love all the different forms of travel in SL. Flying is faster than walking, but flying has me going through alot of tree branches in the Log Home regions. Teleporting is good when you want to get someplace quickly, but nothing is more relaxing than sailing along a coastline. Riding the trains is fun, but there aren't many rail lines. Driving is fun, but omg I crash so easily and get lost driving through the Victorian and Log Home regions. I'm so glad Linden Lab gives us a variety of ways for exploring this wonderful world. As for which passageways I prefer near my homes, I like roads and ocean waterways best. I love the sound of surf and wind. Once I swear I even heard whale song off the Southern Victorian coast.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Marisa Starbrook said:

What "scarce resources"?

Abnor Mole occasionally jokes around when people ask for things and says (paraphrase) "oh if you pay for this, and pay for that, maybe it might happen". Clearly the LDPW has a budget and they can only do so much in a given amount of time. They seem to have to justify each region in terms of the revenue it might produce.

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moles
18 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

Abnor Mole occasionally jokes around when people ask for things and says (paraphrase) "oh if you pay for this, and pay for that, maybe it might happen". Clearly the LDPW has a budget and they can only do so much in a given amount of time. They seem to have to justify each region in terms of the revenue it might produce.

This ^^^^^^^^.

Everything is a balancing act and it is all interconnected. More water = less houses = less self sustainability of that region. More rails = more LI = Less houses or less deco. Less deco = less privacy. More trees = less fill. More houses = less space and less LI. Less houses = less potential revenue and more cost. 

Every region has a cost and needs to be offset by the revenue generated by occupied homes. That's why suggestions of things like: 4 lane highways with interchanges taking up half of each region, desert themes with large empty open spaces between houses, or tens and tens of regions of open water homesteads are always non-starters. They are all nice ideas in theory and we would love to be able to do all those things, but the benefits in terms of revenue generated always has to be taken into consideration because nothing is free.

Finding that balance and trying to hit that sweet spot is literally what we do every day... from the largest of large scale to the tiny details that largely go unnoticed but matter... from where whole themes and regions can go on the world map, to how much greenery we can add around theme and still come in under our LI budget, to which plantings to choose from in our tool kit that compliment one another and not clash, to which particular tree best fits between two particular houses. That's our job, and we have a whole team of people who do it all day every day to the best of our ability. ;)

• Like 14
  • Thanks 8

@Abnor Mole speaking only for myself here, but you guys are doing a amazing job.

The regions are beautiful, the details awesome, we can see how much work is done there, and the love for SL. I always said I would never go to a LH, now I have one and I'm pretty close to get an alt premium so I can have 2  :)

Thank you

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

Finding that balance and trying to hit that sweet spot is literally what we do every day... from the largest of large scale to the tiny details that largely go unnoticed but matter... from where whole themes and regions can go on the world map, to how much greenery we can add around theme and still come in under our LI budget, to which plantings to choose from in our tool kit that compliment one another and not clash, to which particular tree best fits between two particular houses. That's our job, and we have a whole team of people who do it all day every day to the best of our ability. ;)

And I thank you folks every day for the hidden (and not so hidden ) gems I encounter in my exploration of Bellisseria. My recent train trip from Randelsham was incredibly delightful and scenic. The best part was that I could participate in group chats without worrying if I would drive up onto someone’s  lawn or float into range of someone’s security system. That’s definitely a win!

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.