Subdivided land privacy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 662 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

Sadly, the estate I rent a sim from is not helpful nor do they know what to do. I hope someone can help me here.  Here is what I want to do.  I have a full sim city.  There is a loft in the city that is mine.  I wish to make that loft private to a different group so that public users don't have access.  I subdivided that area and set it to my own group.  Then I removed access to that land to keep it private.  Unfortunately, they seem to keep coming in regardless of not being in the group of that land.  I contacted the estate and they told me in order to do that, I must deed the land.  I did and it returned half of the items in that building because it didn't have enough prims.  I want to allocate 2,400 prims to that specific parcel so that I can have privacy and not lose items.  

Question is, can I allocate a certain amount like 2,400?  Also, Why do I need to deed the land to group in order to keep people out?  I like the idea of subdividing and still sharing the prims from the sim because I own it all and will never rent out to anyone.  In order to be private, I have to deed.  This doesn't make sense.

2 minutes ago, Lord Derryth said:

Why do I need to deed the land to group in order to keep people out?

This first:  If you are going to have access based on a group, then the group needs to own the land and not a person -- or you can use a Security Orb to eject anyone not in the specified group.

As to letting the private parcel use LI from the rest of the Region, 'shared LI usage' is based on ownership.  Anything owned by a single person can share amongst other pieces they own in the region.  Anything owned by a group can share amongst other pieces owned by the group.  So your parcel ownership must be the same as whatever parcel(s) you want to use the LI of -- same person or same group (same group means 'deeded' to the group).

The problem with security orbs is that you can't have a specific set of value.  Also, I would want to literally keep people out.  Security Orbs allows them to pop in by using the sit feature.  I'm not sure why this continues to be a complication.  It's simple as typing in 2,400 prims while sub-dividing.  Problem solved.  The question is, how do I allocate prims without using the region ratio.  I want to give that land exactly 2,400 prims.

• Haha 1

SL has always been a crap storm.  I don't know who's idea it was for this type of system.  It could have been so easy to allocate prims to a parcel via typing in 2.....4.....0.....0 and hit accept.  Problem solved!  I don't understand the rocket science behind it all.  What is object bonus based on?  What is an Object Bonus of 1.000 to 30k prims?  What is the exact number to input in order to get 2400 prims.  Where is the solution to understand the ratio of the object bonus.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Unless there is a reason you must have 2400 prims exactly, no more and no less, allowed on that parcel, the easiest way to go is to deed all of the land to your group. Make access available to all except for the subdivided part that you want kept private (set that to group access only). Since the private parcel has the same owner as the rest of it if the group owns all, then prims will be shared and you won't have stuff returning from the private parcel. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lord Derryth said:

I wish to make that loft private to a different group so that public users don't have access.  I subdivided that area and set it to my own group.  Then I removed access to that land to keep it private.  Unfortunately, they seem to keep coming in regardless of not being in the group of that land

this should work as you understand it, as each parcel even if you own them all in your own name, is for access and all other parcel options, individual to each parcel. The only thing shared between parcels with same owner is prims.  Try to test the access with your own alt account

a thing.  The only people other than those you specifically allow yourself, who are not affected by parcel access restrictions are the estate owner/officers.  A estate owner cannot be banned/denied access to any parcel in their estate 

9 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

this should work as you understand it, as each parcel even if you own them all in your own name, is for access and all other parcel options, individual to each parcel. The only thing shared between parcels with same owner is prims.  Try to test the access with your own alt account

a thing.  The only people other than those you specifically allow yourself, who are not affected by parcel access restrictions are the estate owner/officers.  A estate owner cannot be banned/denied access to any parcel in their estate 

You can't do anything with access unless the land is deed.  I have a full city built.  I'm being told to wipe it and start over just to give parcel access and prims.  This is not worth it.  Hell, $300 is not even worth going through this hassle a month.  Too much bad coding.  It shouldn't be hard to allocate Prims AKA now called objects to parcels.  It's a simple click of buttons that should do the trick.  But no, we have to use rocket science in order to make this happen.  I wonder why SL is continuing to lose people.  Nothing will ever change with this old age world.  It's been nearly 19 years for me.  Where are the changes?

1 hour ago, Mollymews said:

are you the listed in About Land as the owner of the parcel ?

ps. I can come and have a look if you like

Yes, I own the sim.  I parceled off two spots for privacy.  The problem is, I can't have privacy without deed.  when you deed, you need a certain amount of prims before you end up with lost and found items.  Feel free to check it out.  It's a public sim.  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Isle of Abundance/190/192/1933

43 minutes ago, Lord Derryth said:

Yes, I own the sim.  I parceled off two spots for privacy.  The problem is, I can't have privacy without deed.  when you deed, you need a certain amount of prims before you end up with lost and found items.  Feel free to check it out.  It's a public sim.  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Isle of Abundance/190/192/1933

i had a look. About Land parcel restriction to group only applies up to the height of the banline box.   Above the ban line box then anyone can enter which is how SL has always worked.  When I am on the ground then this, banline

iob.png.5f5003832004cc5960ed400749eaed52.png

when I am above the banline box I can move/fly onto the parcel (which is how SL always workd) and I get security orb telling me to leave

ps. am not sure why your landlord told you that Deed to Group was what you needed to do, it wasn't as it doesn't do what you were told

pps. for completeness

if you want to make another parcel just for yourself then cut it out from the main parcel, keep it in your own name, keep the build below the top of the banline box

Then untick all Access,: No Anyone, No group.  Then if you want, add your firiends/invitees by name to the Always allowed list 

Edited by Mollymews
typs
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Mollymews said:

ps. am not sure why your landlord told you that Deed to Group was what you needed to do, it wasn't as it doesn't do what you were told

Possibly because he never mentioned the HEIGHT.  Even in the OP here, it all sounds like he is discussing ground builds.

• Like 3

The OP appears to be too frustrated to take advice anyway, but now that we know height is key, the easy solution here is to leave it all in the same group and use a security script to explicitly ban intruders not on the privacy access list. Those avatar-specific banlines go all the way to the sky.

Depending on the traffic the region gets, one might add the bans to everybody upon arrival to the region (which might make sense if the restricted areas are on the ground), or wait until they intrude on a restricted area far above ground level where there's no reason anybody should stray. That latter approach would let folks wander throughout the ground level and never encounter any restrictions at all (and might make the banlist management part of the script a little less busy).

There must be commercial security devices that do this; it's a pretty trivial script.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

There must be commercial security devices that do this; it's a pretty trivial script.

i would have thought so as well. Maybe Phil will come along and consider putting in his orb if he hasn't already

the way OP has their land set up is that most of the region is public access. Then there is a parcel which is set to a group, which is only for group members.  I never looked closely at the current land configuration but am assuming OP wants a third parcel for themselves also

yes agree that the script is trivial. For anyone interested in making their own script

to access the group parcel then avatar needs to be wearing the group tag

when not wearing the group tag then avatar added to the parcel ban list if not already on it

when wearing the group tag then check the parcel ban list. If on the ban list then remove from ban list

have to maintain a first-in first-out list of avatars in the script which mirrors the parcel ban list. When the list is full (300 max) then remove the first-in avatar, adding the most recent

note. When we add an avatar to the parcel banlist who is present on the  parcel then the Linden system gives them 15 seconds to leave before they are ejected from the parcel. The system ejects the avatar, it doesn't send them home, so we need to factor this in to our script. There has to a parcel to which they can be ejected (a safe zone).  If there isn't then the avatar will still be on the region, at X = 0, Y = 0, Z = terrain level    

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi , I have a question about land dividing .. I have a property and it wont allow me to do the land borders on its edges, it is either goes over or way in... is there a way to fix this? or its just how it is?

Thank you

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 662 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.