Unauthorized label in nearby chat in FS viewer

KalimaJaya

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 720 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I was a group member of a clothing store called RealEvil Industries (accurately named). I left the group after they didn't give me a promised 50% discount on Black Friday. Whenever I log in to SL, it logs me in as "Kalima: RealEvil Industries" in Nearby Chat. How do I get RealEvil Industries out of there? I use FS Viewer.

Thanks,

Kalima

7 answers to this question

1 hour ago, KalimaJaya said:

I left the group after they didn't give me a promised 50% discount on Black Friday.

Whenever I log in to SL, it logs me in as "Kalima: RealEvil Industries" in Nearby Chat. How do I get RealEvil Industries out of there? I use FS Viewer.

first the last :) 
I think you wear jewelry from them.  Lot's of those are scripted for RLV use. You need to get the non rlv version, or kill those scripts.
Your name isn't changed, but it only tells those scripts are enabled and people can use the rlv ( if set so)

The second.. no extra rebate on black friday.... well is very normal. Rebates rarely stack up. Think your expectations were to high or didn't read the little notes.

• Like 2

the only thing i can think about coming up in nearby chat, is some kind of jewellry you are wearing with your name on,  bought from RealEvil Ind. theres nothing in your profile name groups or anything saying that, so check what you are wearing, detach any jewellry from RE, relog and see if thats it

• Like 3

Real industries makes jewelry not just collars.  There is an option on their jewelry via the menu to shut off chat notifications.  It has nothing to do with what group tag you're wearing.  Just being up the menu or use the HUD provided with the RE jewelry.  

There is no permission needed just an option to turn off.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KalimaJaya said:

How do I get RealEvil Industries out of there?

Go to your group list, scroll to "None", and select "Activate". The way groups work is that you have a list of them, but you're only active in one at a time. You get to pick. If you select "None", you're not active in any group. This doesn't remove you from the group.

(The reason it works this way is because groups are part of the land permission system. You and your friends can buy and  jointly own a parcel of land as a group, and jointly control what objects can be placed there. For that, you only want one group active at a time, because when you create an object, it gets associated with the group. Groups weren't really intended as a marketing tool. More like a friends and family thing. But because you can message people in a group, people use them as mailing lists.)

Ahh...thank you all. So I made a mistake ....RealEvil Industries isn't the clothing company that misrepresented the sale. I don't remember the name because I left the group, but it was something like that. I don't wear a collar, so I will see if there is something I am wearing that causes the name RealEvil Industries to come up in chat. I still didn't give permission for that! It isn't the group tag that I am wearing, though.

Got it. You are exactly right. There was an unnoticed option on the HUD for a bracelet I got to fill in my own text that will go in local chat when I log in. Because I had not filled in anything, it defaulted to RealEvil Industries. There is also an option in the HUD to to disable the nearby chat text that appears next to my name.

That is actually pretty great! Now that I know about it, I like it. Thanks, RealEvil Industries!

And thanks to you all for helping me figure this out.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 720 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.