firestorm environment backwards

MaxiBossy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 706 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

when i go out onto the linden road with my settings on shared experience it seems like everything is backwards. if i set it to "sunrise" i can see the sun on the horizon over the sea, then i switch to shared experience, and the moon appears where the sun is. and it turns dark out. in fact, no matter what time i log in sl its always dark out. the moon rises over and over and i cant figure out how to make it just normal to whatever LL has it set to. im sendin a link to a pic at around 8am sl time this is pretty much how it always is when im on linden land using shared experience. i really miss the old feature where u could see the sun position ect... https://imgur.com/a/mc0nUwm

8 answers to this question

The land owner can set any lighting environment she wants. In some places (notably vampire regions) it's always midnight. Many others adhere to the standard 4 hour SL day cycle, three hours of daylight and one hour of darkness. When you use the Shared Experience setting, you're seeing the day cycle (or fixed time of day) that the land owner has established.

If you don't like it, you can set your own, with the Personal Lighting settings.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 2

Hi thank you, yes i know people can set the environment on their lands, but im referring to linden public land like, main roads ect... its always dark no matter what time, and i think i have some sort of "personal lighting" set that way on accident and i dont know how to reset it or remove it. 

22 hours ago, MaxiBossy said:

when i go out onto the linden road with my settings on shared experience it seems like everything is backwards. if i set it to "sunrise" i can see the sun on the horizon over the sea, then i switch to shared experience, and the moon appears where the sun is. and it turns dark out. in fact, no matter what time i log in sl its always dark out. the moon rises over and over and i cant figure out how to make it just normal to whatever LL has it set to. im sendin a link to a pic at around 8am sl time this is pretty much how it always is when im on linden land using shared experience. i really miss the old feature where u could see the sun position ect... https://imgur.com/a/mc0nUwm

Are you choosing shared environment from the Environmental editor in the top Menu/World or the quick.preferences?  For me, it only actually uses shared environment if I choose it from the top Menu.

Rowan i tried both. it was dark out at 7am sl time and is still dark out at 1259 pm sl time and will be dark out at 5pm sl time. everything says im usin shared environment. it just seems anywhere i go thats linden land is dark all the time, i reset personal lighting but nothing changes

Most linden land still uses the default SL day cycle, which is 3 hours of daylight followed by one hour of night.  That constitutes one "day" in SL, and means that in a standard 24 hour RL time period, there are 6 days. 

You keep mentioning various SL times that you check, but the time on your viewer is the RL time for LL office, not the actual time it is in SL - so it could easily be 7am in RL (shown on your viewer), but the middle of the night in SL.  This might be part of your confusion, and it's made worse now with EEP which seems to screw up how the default SL day shows on your screen.  If you want to check what the actual time is in SL, then from your top menu select World > Region Details. The click on the Environment tab and at the bottom left side it will says "Apparent time of day" - if it's between 9pm and 3 am, then that's night time in SL and it should be dark

ETA:  Note that what i said applies to Linden land only.  On any private parcel/land, the owner can specify to either use the default region (LL) settings, or they can specify their own day/sky settings, as others have mentioned.

Edited by Eowyn Southmoor
  • Like 1

Eowyn makes an important point. To understand it, it may be helpful to introduce you to the term "sidereal time".

Sidereal time, or "sun time", is the time of day it is according to the position of the sun in the sky (or the stars, if it's night). This is the time that you see when you are playing with the Day Cycle or Personal Lighting editors in the Environment settings.

In Second Life, sidereal (pronounced side eerie al) time is completely divorced from clock time. Clock time in SL is equivalent to the time in San Francisco, CA...that is, US Pacific Time. But the apparent time of day can be anything. It can even be different for two people standing right next to one another, thanks to the Environment controls.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MaxiBossy said:

Rowan i tried both. it was dark out at 7am sl time and is still dark out at 1259 pm sl time and will be dark out at 5pm sl time. everything says im usin shared environment. it just seems anywhere i go thats linden land is dark all the time, i reset personal lighting but nothing changes

Nothing changes if you set your own personal lighting.  As in Apply Only to Myself?

In their infinite Linden Wisdom, Shared Environments all have their AMBIENT settings Luminosity down around 20 no matter day or night. This renders all 'times' from Noon to Midnight as a dim, dismal, deep darkness.

A heroine appears and suggests setting your Personal Lighting AMBIENT (That dark rectangle in the upper left corner of the Personal Lighting pop up) to around 50 for Daylight times and 30 for Night.

May the light shine upon you in public spaces once again.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 706 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.