How to Ban would-be buyers from Marketplace

RobinChristanCallaway

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 691 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Is there a way to ban an avatar from purchasing items from your marketplace?
It's terrible when people abuse the review system and weaponize it to hinder your market potential, doubly so when you offer free demos and they still "buy" them only to review bomb it, LL is mostly useless when it comes to this, for example, someone writes a negative review because an item is no mod, even if the description specifically says the item is no modifiable, when flagged such a comment is still allowed to stay up.
LL has the foresight to disable the gift option from zero linden items, to prevent abuse on that regard, but they still leave the reviews on so individuals have nothing to lose.
Other than that, they can still use low cost items to make your life misery, and if anything the ToS specifically says you are not allowed to relist an item.

So I ask again, is there a way to flat out ban certain people from buying anything from your store, because having to deal with this kind of harassment is almost a full time job and the number one reason why almost no one has demos on their Marketplace or a Marketplace to begin with.

• Haha 1

12 answers to this question

On 5/7/2022 at 4:18 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

Idea for a business model: ban all buyers after purchase!  No bad reviews, no need  for customer service.

How humorous, but allow me to quench your ignorance.
Pretend for a moment if you will you make chairs.
You take pictures of your chairs to advertise your chairs, you describe your chairs in great detail and you provide a free demo of your chairs.
Now you have a customer buying your chair and leaving you a 1 star review because your chairs don't include a table, a rug, plates, glasses, cutlery a towel and a potted plant, because so they thought it was reasonably to assume a chair would include a whole dinning set despite the description and the advertising materials never mentioning or showing anything other than your chairs and your chairs only.
This is the sort of thing I'm dealing with.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, RobinChristanCallaway said:

How humorous, but allow me to quench your ignorance.
Pretend for a moment if you will you make chairs.
You take pictures of your chairs to advertise your chairs, you describe your chairs in great detail and you provide a free demo of your chairs.
Now you have a customer buying your chair and leaving you a 1 star review because your chairs don't include a table, a rug, plates, glasses, cutlery a towel and a potted plant, because so they thought it was reasonably to assume a chair would include a whole dinning set despite the description and the advertising materials never mentioning or showing anything other than your chairs and your chairs only.
This is the sort of thing I'm dealing with.

In that case, I would hope potential buyers read the reviews. So they see reviews like that are bogus.

• Like 3

On 4/23/2022 at 11:29 AM, RobinChristanCallaway said:

and the number one reason why almost no one has demos on their Marketplace or a Marketplace to begin with.

This is clearly not the case. There are literally millions of items on the Marketplace, and so many demos that it is a real chore to eliminate them from a product search.

ps: Have you tried my earlier suggestion of banning the problematic reviewer?

Okay, this is new to me.

Something I have never given any thought to (no real reason), but am I to understand, if I had a shop on MP, I could simply block someone in-world and they would be unable to shop my pages?

I would think that MP and in-world to be two separate entities. In-world shops (or products) being blocked I can understand.

Am I understanding this correctly?

49 minutes ago, Jerilynn Lemon said:

if I had a shop on MP, I could simply block someone in-world and they would be unable to shop my pages? .... Am I understanding this correctly?

yes 

50 minutes ago, Jerilynn Lemon said:

I would think that MP and in-world to be two separate entities. In-world shops (or products) being blocked I can understand.

it prevents unwanted customers to start a bad review war .

• Thanks 1

On 5/22/2022 at 7:41 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

In that case, I would hope potential buyers read the reviews. So they see reviews like that are bogus.

They don't. If you get 1-starred on a product, people don't even look at it to start with. Any 1-star reviews I have got in the past (all undeserved) effectively wipe out any sales of the item, and can be observed that the actual views become very low, as people may be looking for higher rated products. So whoever decided to trash the product for whatever reason - and did not bother to come back to revise it after they were served - are effective in destroying it. I have one such listing remaining right now. 1 starred - a perfectly fine product - and isn't moving at all.

On 5/22/2022 at 7:41 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

Idea for a business model: ban all buyers after purchase!  No bad reviews, no need  for customer service.

I think at this point after my observations of many posters, that those who constantly promote the banning of other people should get listed on ban lists themselves. A new policy now. Promote banning? Get banned :D

I guess if someone was trolling my marketplace; willing to pay anything to write a horrible review. 

I would likely ask volunteer residents if they would like to get a free copy via lindens transferred to purchase and give honest review. just because it's free I don't want the volunteers to say oh its great I love it. I want honest feedback on my marketplace so I can focus on creation.

I have not had that happen yet but it will. Happens to everyone. Wonders if there's a way to reply to review. Etsy has that where you can reply to reviews once I think or could be ebay.

Like "reached out to resident and provided resolution" and then the initial reviewer has the opportunity to change edit their review once after resolution. If armies of alts are harassing creators that's not good. I'm sure there's a way to internally combat review harassment. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 691 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.