Best way to learn scripting?

Niko Kozower

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4691 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Whats the ebst way to learn scripting? Now I've tried the College of Scripting or whatever its called and its helpful, just that theres to much information to fast. Im looking for more interactive kind of stuff if there is any. Anyway please leave your suggestions below. thanks.

Begin by spending some time with the tutorials at https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LSL_Tutorial . Most of us were able to get started that way with no further help.  It is smart to get hold of free scripts and start taking them apart to see what makes them tick.  Modify the heck out of them.  And make heavy use of the LSL wiki and its embedded examples.  If you still need a jump start after all of that, check your Search function in world to look for Events >> Educational to see what scripting classes are being offered this week.  Builder's Brewery usually has some, and so does NCI.

Niko Kozower wrote:

Vehicles and weapons mainly. Just knowing LSL all around though would be best.

You want to mainly do vehicles and weapons? Can you be more specific? Is there a particular vehicle that you think is awesome, but would way cooler if it just had this one little tweak in its scripting? Then research how to do that tweak and if you want to do it bad enough, you'll figure it out.

Learning LSL all around will just distract you from what you really want to do and keep you from getting started. It's the wanting that is key. You can be taught to script; you can't be taught to want to script. When the student is ready, the teacher will appear. What people don't get, is that you are the teacher. You teach yourself.

Rolig Loon wrote:

Begin by spending some time with the tutorials at
 . Most of us were able to get started that way with no further help.  It is smart to get hold of free scripts and start taking them apart to see what makes them tick.  Modify the heck out of them.  And make heavy use of the
and its embedded examples.  If you still need a jump start after all of that, check your Search function in world to look for Events >> Educational to see what scripting classes are being offered this week.  Builder's Brewery usually has some, and so does NCI.

That and choosing something you want to try to make are both some of the best posts.

I learned actually by purely choosing to script something I liked (a gun) and using the wiki to do just that.

Actually, a gun is a pretty good thing to script since it can teach cross-script communication, agent-script communication, rezzing objects, rotations and positions, control event, etc. Then you also have the popgun and plenty of gun scripts for free online to help start, and its something that is tangible and you can actually /play/ with, so its fun to make!

I think self-understanding is the point behind LSL. Its not rocket science even thought it might look like it.

Take a simple project, indeed simple that you think is achieveable and start making it with use of LSLwiki. If your stuck on something dont spend years chewing your tooth on it, just ask me or any other scripter. In genuine we are not too greedy on advice or even bringing simple solutions :matte-motes-wink:

Good luck anyways.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4691 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.