Opening boxes at my LInden home

Pat48 Barbosa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 727 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

32 minutes ago, Pat48 Barbosa said:

I did create a group and they still can't open boxes. Where is that setting?

In the ABOUT LAND window, the General tab, click 'Set' next to Group:

image.png.e74603ae7b1c630bfc0b35858fc26cf0.png

Then invite your friends to join the group.  DO NOT give them the Owner role.  I think there is a default 'Everyone' role that they will get.  They will have to activate the group before they can rez things there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anthony Rowley said:

Don't you also have to allow rezzing in the group ability settings under the various membership roles.

If you check "Build: Group" in About Land as Sylvia describes, then anyone in the group can rez, regardless of their role.

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

If you check "Build: Group" in About Land as Sylvia describes, then anyone in the group can rez, regardless of their role.

As long as they have the group active, that is.  I've forgotten to activate my group so many times when trying to rez at my alt's Houseboat. Sucks when it is a no copy item, so I then have to relog to recover it.

(tangent) A nice feature of Firestorm, though only applicable to parcels that can be 'deeded' to the group - then Firestorm can be set to always rez using the correct group no matter which one is currently active.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I've forgotten to activate my group so many times when trying to rez at my alt's Houseboat.

I do the same thing.

About that "Always allow 'Create Object'" role permission... I am not sure it even works. I tried testing it by giving an alt the Officer role which has 'Create Object' turned on and I made sure the alt was in group and using the Officer role. But the alt could not rez if I turned off off "Build: Group" in about land. Odds are that I set it up wrong.

• Moles

Alternatively, you could allow rezzing on the land for anyone and use autoreturn to send back anything that is not owned by you or set to the same group as the land after a specified number of minutes. It's simpler in that your friends don't have to worry about having the group active in order to rez. Also leave scripts running. If the box has a giver script it will not work if scripts are disabled. Autoreturn will also take care of any pesky stray vehicles left abandoned on your land. Object Entry unchecked does not.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

4 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

I do the same thing.

About that "Always allow 'Create Object'" role permission... I am not sure it even works. I tried testing it by giving an alt the Officer role which has 'Create Object' turned on and I made sure the alt was in group and using the Officer role. But the alt could not rez if I turned off off "Build: Group" in about land. Odds are that I set it up wrong.

some of the functions in the groupsetting only work with deeded land. As that's not possible with Linden Homes, those functions won't work.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

I do the same thing.

As Alwin mentioned, some things only work with Deeded land and that particular feature is one of them.  That is actually why I have so many issues at my alt's home.  All of my other land parcels are Mainland 'deeded' to the group and with that Firestorm setting I am used to never having to worry what group tag I have on when I rez objects.  However, that then gets me into trouble at my alt's place because I don't think about activating the correct group until I try to rez and get the 'cannot' message.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

Alternatively, you could allow rezzing on the land for anyone and use autoreturn to send back anything that is not owned by you or set to the same group as the land ....

If my property is in one of the older areas in Belli where there are few coastal rez zones (i.e. my trad in Santa Louisa), I set the property up as Abnor recommends with about a 10 minute autoreturn, and try to leave about 40LI free.  That way, explorers who want to make a transition between water and roads can use my place as a quick rez zone.  If you use a rez zone detector (I use the LCC's) to search for rez zones in all the regions on the north and west coasts of Olde Belli, you will not find ANY (as in much of the Pickle).  But you WILL find many good souls who have set up their coastal homes this way.  

It's also the SIMPLEST way to set a parcel up for alts and friends.  By habit, tho, I tend to set non-coastal Belli parcels up for group-only rezzing anyway - my partner preferred it that way.  Also, we both were old enough in SL to remember when there were truly destructive griefer scripts that didn't need much time to do damage.

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 6

• Moles
1 hour ago, diamond Marchant said:

Not to worry. Someone can't rez an object that would put you over your LI limit.

That is correct. If a parcel does not have enough LI to support the object being rezzed, it simply doesn't allow that object to be rezzed. It doesn't return other random objects.

The only time I can think of where that does happen is when someone has multiple parcels that share their LI/prim allowance with more objects on one parcel than that parcel alone can support. They change ownership of one of the parcels by deeded it to another group or selling it back to themselves (taking away the ability to share LI) and that parcel is suddenly over its LI limit, causing some items to return to their owner seemingly at random. But that isn't a concern in Linden Homes since parcels there are 1 to an account and cannot be deeded to a group and therefore cannot share LI. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 727 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.