Earth Day tomorrow! Honoring Planet Earth in unique ways?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 724 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yep, Earth Day is tomorrow (or today, depends where you live.) Yes, the standard way to celebrate Earth Day is for doing good for the environment (picking up trash, reduce, reuse, recycle, save energy and water sources, etc.) Although, the usual arguments come that we should be doing this EVERY DAY and not just April 22. So, maybe there's ways to make Earth Day more special?

This topic is more about the fun, entertaining, and more unique ways to honor Planet Earth. I was thinking people can eat a Land, Air, and Sea burger to celebrate three types of biomes found on this planet. (It doesn't necessarily have to come from McDonald's, too! Just use any combo of beef, chicken, and fish in hamburger buns!)

• Like 2

I'm going to take your advice, Gopi, and stuff as much beef, chicken, and fish as humanly possible into my little consumerist cakehole to celebrate Earth Day tomorrow   :)

* oh just ignore me, I've been reading horrific climate news and am in a bad mood.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

* Reads hypocritcal enviromental tips from citizens of the heaviest polluting country in the western world *

Are we talking per capita? Considering US states are comparable to countries in Europe it would be fair to compare states. I live in Mass which has about the same co2 emissions as Germany per capita and is 48th of the 50 states.

Edited by Finite

53 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

@FiniteNo. US states are nothing like European countries. Area size is a poor comparison. Massachusetts only has a population of 7 million people, while Germany has a population of 83 million people.

CO2

DOAS_enables_detection_of_very_weak_trac

56 minutes ago, Finite said:

Are we talking per capita? Considering US states are comparable to countries in Europe it would be fair to compare states. I live in Mass which has about the same co2 emissions as Germany per capita and is 48th of the 50 states.

Edited by Finite

People just get a bit over the top appointing special days.
Just a selection for April 23: The National Talk Like Shakespeare Day, The National Asparagus Day, German Beer Day, Lost Dog Awareness Day, International Marconi Day, World Book Night, English Language Day, Coin Week, National Record Store Day.
https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/apr/23/

I can't be bothered to pay any attention to them.

25 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

People just get a bit over the top appointing special days.
Just a selection for April 23: The National Talk Like Shakespeare Day, The National Asparagus Day, German Beer Day, Lost Dog Awareness Day, International Marconi Day, World Book Night, English Language Day, Coin Week, National Record Store Day.
https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/apr/23/

I can't be bothered to pay any attention to them.

In the U.S. we throw in all kinds of days in the hopes that one of them will make it to the level of, Federal Holiday..Then hope that it will be enough of a Federal Holiday one day, that we can get the day off work.. hehehehe

:D

• Like 2

I make an attempt to console myself when thinking about our plight by reading poems and quotations by those who love the Earth:

The old Lakota was wise. He knew that a man’s heart away from nature becomes hard. —Luther Standing Bear

Honor the sacred.
Honor the Earth, our Mother.
Honor the Elders.
Honor all with whom we share the Earth:
Four-leggeds, two-leggeds, winged ones,
swimmers, crawlers, plant, and rock people.
Walk in balance and beauty.
—Author Unknown

If you take the Christian bible and put it out in the wind and the rain, soon the paper on which the words are printed will disintegrate and the words will be gone. Our bible is the wind. —Author Unknown

If you talk to the animals, they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them, you will not know them; and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys. —Chief Dan George

Where no one intrudes, many can live in harmony. —Chief Dan George

Edited by Luna Bliss

24 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

.--- --- .. -. / -- . / .. -. / -.-. . .-.. . -... .-. .- - .. -. --. / -- .- .-. -.-. --- -. .. / -.. .- -.-- -.-.--

.--. . . .--. --..-- / .--. . . .--. --..-- / .--. . . . . . .--. --..-- .--. . . .--. --..-- .--. . . .--. --..-- .--. . . .--. -.-.-- / ... .- .. -.. / - .... . / -- --- ..- ... . .-.-.-

I've always thought in modern times we should respect, appreciate, and honor the world more like they did in times past.  Maybe all these odd days of 'worship' we're seeing are some kind of distorted awareness and attempt to bring back this valuable attitude toward reality. The Western World being what it is though, we 'worship' what really doesn't matter (in so many cases).

There is no need for such day.
People will not change. Christmas didn't bring peace on earth either, only the urge to buy pricy presents, kill a turkey, tinsel, lights and a Christmas tree.

Edited by Sid Nagy

From a teacher, teaching about Earth Day:

THE EARTH SPEAKS

Of all the planets, I am special; I am the mother Earth.
Filled with water, air, and life
Humans, trees, birds, water animals, and wildlife.
I spin and turn all year round the orbit,
To give you all the seasons and climate.

You people use my land, air, water, and soil,
But keep on filling it with litter and allowing it to spoil.
I provide you air, food, and home to live,
With greedy lust, you destroy the nature I give,
And plot your own nature’s death.

The air you fill with smoke, makes my breath choke;
You make my heart fill with strife –
By cutting down the green forests,
And pushing up the green-house gases.
What was once a clean sea and pure soil
Is now all barren; clogged with waste and oil.

How long can I stand the trouble?
I start to scream and tremble.
I give you all I have, unto my end;
But it’s now all in your hands to defend and mend.

2 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

There is no need for such day.
People will not change. Christmas does not bring peace on earth either, only the urge to buy pricy presents, tinsel, lights and a Christmas tree.

Yeah I agree, just 'making' the day doesn't bring about change in itself.

However, focusing on it as the teacher did above might do so. Kind of like Martin Luther King day does in schools around the country, or TV programs we view on that day going into depth on some of the issues we might not know about.

21 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

Yep, Earth Day is tomorrow (or today, depends where you live.) Yes, the standard way to celebrate Earth Day is for doing good for the environment (picking up trash, reduce, reuse, recycle, save energy and water sources, etc.) Although, the usual arguments come that we should be doing this EVERY DAY and not just April 22. So, maybe there's ways to make Earth Day more special?

This topic is more about the fun, entertaining, and more unique ways to honor Planet Earth. I was thinking people can eat a Land, Air, and Sea burger to celebrate three types of biomes found on this planet. (It doesn't necessarily have to come from McDonald's, too! Just use any combo of beef, chicken, and fish in hamburger buns!)

This year, I'll be watching it rain. All day.

tumblr_p2va7mOuce1viuar9o1_1280.gifv

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 724 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.