Oh hell yes! -- Pet Delights!

It's Friday. Overslept. Knackered. Lunch to be served in 5 minutes. You peek at the menu to decide whether it's worth even getting out of bed for.

Night-baked Entrecôte with herb roasted potatoes and Béarnaise sauce. 

Suffice to say, I was clothed and out of the door in less than 5 minutes. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I was able to look up Entrecôte, but what is "night-baked"?

9 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Pretty much exactly what is says. Baked at night. 😁

Well, yes and no.

When you 'night-bake' a roast, it means that you (usually) have it in the oven 'overnight' - usually ~8-10 hours and a low temperature (85-100C). It's a similar concept to sous vide, except superior in just about every way (which is also very fun to point out when someone brags about having invested in a sous vide kit - or that you can sous vide stuff in a cooler bag with hot tap water, if you have half a clue of the concept). 

The low-and-slow cooking method makes things ridiculously tender, lets the flavours truly bloom, and leaves it nice and juicy; and if it's something with a bone in there (like a leg of lamb), the meat will release and leave a satisfyingly clean bone behind.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Well, yes and no.

When you 'night-bake' a roast, it means that you (usually) have it in the oven 'overnight' - usually ~8-10 hours and a low temperature (85-100C). It's a similar concept to sous vide, except superior in just about every way (which is also very fun to point out when someone brags about having invested in a sous vide kit - or that you can sous vide stuff in a cooler bag with hot tap water, if you have half a clue of the concept). 

The low-and-slow cooking method makes things ridiculously tender, lets the flavours truly bloom, and leaves it nice and juicy; and if it's something with a bone in there (like a leg of lamb), the meat will release and leave a satisfyingly clean bone behind.

Now that I'm vegetarian, I don't get to enjoy these delights anymore. Both my slow cooker and my sous vide sit unused. Oh, well! 

14 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Now that I'm vegetarian, I don't get to enjoy these delights anymore.

I don't think I have a fibre in my body that is inclined towards vegetarianism. I've been brought up with a quite strict 'informed consumer' mentality; my father would often joke about what sort of animal was on the plate. I briefly studied charcuterie in high school, and in the crafts that I have practiced over the years, I've been continuously exposed to the traditional uses of various animal side-products such as animal glues. I've done study visits to tanneries, I've made my own bone folders, and I've even tried making parchment myself - and now I use those tools and products daily. I also pretty much always have lived next to animal farms - cows across the road in my home town, sheep all over the place around my mother's summer house - and always with neighbours that happily sell and serve the fruit of their labours. And from the very first day my mum got her own chickens, I've been jokingly been asking when and how they will be cooked.

And now I'm just like my father, but with an even more twisted sense of humour (and I think I even out-dad-humour him). Whilst visiting my mother, we were grocery shopping and trying to decide what to have for dinner and browsed the meat section, and I spotted one of my favourites - horse steak. I made two jokes. The first was that it was 'made from real Dalahäst' (the horses were slaughtered in the province of Dalarna, which is famous for their decoratively painted wooden horses), and that it was 'gnäggande gott' ('neighingly good').

She rolled her eyes both times - success! 

IMG_1062.jpg
   Dalahäst (lit. 'Horse from Dalarna'). Pretty sure it'll be quite tough even after 10 hours in the oven though ..

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Orwar said:

Sounds a lot like cooking the roast in a crock pot.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Orwar said:

I don't think I have a fibre in my body that is inclined towards vegetarianism. I've been brought up with a quite strict 'informed consumer' mentality; my father would often joke about what sort of animal was on the plate. I briefly studied charcuterie in high school, and in the crafts that I have practiced over the years, I've been continuously exposed to the traditional uses of various animal side-products such as animal glues. I've done study visits to tanneries, I've made my own bone folders, and I've even tried making parchment myself - and now I use those tools and products daily. I also pretty much always have lived next to animal farms - cows across the road in my home town, sheep all over the place around my mother's summer house - and always with neighbours that happily sell and serve the fruit of their labours. And from the very first day my mum got her own chickens, I've been jokingly been asking when and how they will be cooked.

And now I'm just like my father, but with an even more twisted sense of humour (and I think I even out-dad-humour him). Whilst visiting my mother, we were grocery shopping and trying to decide what to have for dinner and browsed the meat section, and I spotted one of my favourites - horse steak. I made two jokes. The first was that it was 'made from real Dalahäst' (the horses were slaughtered in the province of Dalarna, which is famous for their decoratively painted wooden horses), and that it was 'gnäggande gott' ('neighingly good').

She rolled her eyes both times - success! 

IMG_1062.jpg
   Dalahäst (lit. 'Horse from Dalarna'). Pretty sure it'll be quite tough even after 10 hours in the oven though ..

Pork bits and lips cooked in entrails are quite popular here, we call them "hot dogs".

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I don’t know, I was vegetarian around 17 before entering vet med school.
To qualify, post 4th year, all of us had to work for 2 months in an abbatoir, also known as the “factory” on this side of the Pond. 
Well let’s say everyone should do a tour in an abbatoir, people would be less cavalier about throwing away food and not thinking twice where it came from.

I’ve always been an animal lover, grew up on a horse stud so I was well aware of life and death prior to studying vetmed… but seeing the eyes on an animal (cattle, sheep) prior to being killed is something that will stay with me forever.  Needless to say I became a vegan after that.
Even today when they ask us to PTS an animal (it’s done humanly and with compassion) I still cry with their owner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

48 minutes ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

I don’t know, I was vegetarian around 17 before entering vet med school.
To qualify, post 4th year, all of us had to work for 2 months in an abbatoir, also known as the “factory” on this side of the Pond. 
Well let’s say everyone should do a tour in an abbatoir, people would be less cavalier about throwing away food and not thinking twice where it came from.

I’ve always been an animal lover, grew up on a horse stud so I was well aware of life and death prior to studying vetmed… but seeing the eyes on an animal (cattle, sheep) prior to being killed is something that will stay with me forever.  Needless to say I became a vegan after that.
Even today when they ask us to PTS an animal (it’s done humanly and with compassion) I still cry with their owner.

I suppose that I'm a vegetarian mostly because of my Hinduism these days.  But either way, it is nice knowing a conscious animal didn't live, suffer, and die for me to eat it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I suppose that I'm a vegetarian mostly because of my Hinduism these days.  But either way, it is nice knowing a conscious animal didn't live, suffer, and die for me to eat it.

I have a couple of Hindu friends who can also cook some gorgeous food, some can be made vegan unless ghee is absolutely required for taste! 🥰
With my post I didn’t mean to criticise or point fingers, my kids eat everything and once they are old enough they can make their own informed choices. 
I developed an intolerance to milk during my first pregnancy, and I had to switch to plant alternatives. I am glad cappuccinos still taste awesome with oat or soy milk 😅

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

hidden behind a pile of inedible protean bars

I think you meant "protein" bars. A protean bar could be, well, anything at all!

protean
prō′tē-ən, prō-tē′-
adjective
  1. Readily taking on varied shapes, forms, or meanings.
  2. Exhibiting considerable variety or diversity.

...on second thought, perhaps you were right the first time!

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I think you meant "protein" bars. A protean bar could be, well, anything at all!

protean
prō′tē-ən, prō-tē′-
adjective

Protoplasm, yum!538F7F5B-7B81-45B6-902B-C53959EEB88E.jpeg.9ddb8d2ea29696b0ef2406dd066aff1c.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

protean
prō′tē-ən, prō-tē′-
adjective

Sounds like a product from Omega Mart.

• Haha 2