Absentee Landlordism, empty land, blight, speculation

NellieB1y

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 818 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Folks, can anyone help me understand how people who never show up on their land, and either leave junk or leave the land empty (no skybox, no prims) pay the mainland tier?  In one case, I know that the person has passed away in RL last year, and apparently his credit card must still work.  In other cases, it's a landholding group with one or two people, who are rarely on SL, and don't respond to friendly notecards and IM's. In other cases it's a rental "company" with an occupancy rate of 50% and yet they refuse to sell empty land to me.

This is a major damper on my efforts to revitalised two mainland sims in my area.  I've already got artists, musicians, people living there; a safe space for folks who have been preyed on elsewhere.  and a sizable chunk of the sims is empty blight, even prime seafront land.

I struggle to understand it. I pay tier at about the $175/moth level.  That's a mindful expense for me, and I have incentive to find the highest and best use of the land.  We've made some beautiful creations.   So how do others manage to hang onto the land, refuse to sell, and not even stick around to enjoy it?

Please advise.  Thanks!

Edited by NellieB1y
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's their land, and if they want to leave it empty or decorated with what you perceive to be "junk" or "blight", that's their option. How anyone pays for land is not really anyone else's business, nor is their use of it as long as they comply with TOS. I mean, what if they think YOUR idea of "best use" is ugly? Judging can go both ways. :) 

As long as the land is being paid for somehow, and it apparently is, there's nothing you can do about it other than ignore what doesn't meet your standards, or relocate. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, NellieB1y said:

Folks, can anyone help me understand how people who never show up on their land, and either leave junk or leave the land empty (no skybox, no prims) pay the mainland tier? 

it's possible the accounts in question are lifetime/charter accounts, available for a limited amount of time in the early days of SL these accounts are allowed up to i believe 4096sqm mainland with no additional tier fees

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

it's possible the accounts in question are lifetime/charter accounts, available for a limited amount of time in the early days of SL these accounts are allowed up to i believe 4096sqm mainland with no additional tier fees

It's possible, but I don't think there were all that many of those accounts created. Also, although they can move or spread out their 4096 anywhere they want, I get the impression that most of them settled on Sansara and never left.

The OP's situation is familiar. It can take a really long time for land to come free if it ever does, and land is this perverse motivator where one gets attached to it and wants to expand what one already has, even if there are perfectly good substitutes available with all the space one could want to expand into. I've done it both ways myself: just swap for a replacement or hold out long enough to finally get that expansion to a sentimentally valued spot.

Patience might be rewarded. Impatience, on the other hand, is its own reward.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, NellieB1y said:

and a sizable chunk of the sims is empty blight, even prime seafront land.

On the silver lining side of things, at least they are not using region resources.   I'd rather have empty land around me than a breedables farm, or a club, or a huge store full of full-bright vendors.   Are there other directions you could expand out to, or can you expand out on the other side of these properties?

If land is group owned, and depending on its size, they may have the monthly tier covered by premium accounts, so are not paying land tier each month, but instead renew premium memberships annually.  Four premium accounts can cover the tier for a 4096 sqm parcel.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

quoting from a very helpful article:

Review of land that looks abandoned

If you find a parcel that appears to be owned by a defunct account or group, there is a possibility that we can make the parcel available for sale.  However, please note that land owned by a valid account or group is not abandoned, even if it appears to be unused.  Please bear in mind that many Residents have annual accounts, and it may take many months for the account status to expire  if they have chosen to leave or use a different account.  Land cannot be reclaimed simply due to inactivity.

link:

I'd suggest you file a ticket and see what support come back with.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Thanks all of you for your insightful replies.  I learned some things that I did not know; e.g. lifetime/charter accounts.

And an action plan, goody!  I'll open a kindly-worded ticket and see.  I am indeed patient... been waiting 3 years for 2 of the owners to show up.

That leaves the rental properties that are usually empty.  This is a large company that owns a lot of land all over Heterocaera... I ran the numbers informally and don't see how they make any money IF they are paying tier at the same rate that I do.  Not complaining, but curious how the system works.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I pay more in tier and own a bunch of land that I offer as B&B rentals without any expectation of return. I like adding to mainland because it's fun, peaceful, and creates a beautiful experience for all...nothing more. 

I think it's all about how folks choose to spend their money and time in SL, which is not up to anyone outside of that to decide, judge, rationalize, or otherwise. Running the numbers on someone else's property is interesting to me. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Not long ago, I wanted to buy a land next to mine, but it was already ownd since 2006 but the owner was never there, and thier profile "telling me" that they have not logged in in a long time, anyway i sent them a message offering to buy the land, and i got no response as I expetcted, so because i noticed that a lot of ownd land suddnly goes to auction; I wanted to try my luck and ask to buy this land before it happens, i submit a ticket asking if this land available to purchase; and they told me that the land is owned by an account in good standing and they can't reclaim it.

At least now i know for sure the status of this land.

Another case also not long ago a friend wanted to buy a land next to his and the owner of this land ( since 2009 ) was also inactive and i sugguseted that he submit a ticket and hope for the best, he was luckier than me, i don't know what exactly they told him, but the land went to auction because it was protected water front; and he won it!

Edited by SarahThe Wanderer
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

On 4/20/2022 at 8:28 PM, NellieB1y said:

I ran the numbers informally and don't see how they make any money IF they are paying tier at the same rate that I do.  Not complaining, but curious how the system works.

They're almost certainly operating at a loss. For every successful SL business, there are dozens of hobbyists who will never break even.

• Haha 1

On 4/20/2022 at 11:45 AM, Claireschen Hesten said:

and people stacked accounts back then .. 

• Like 2

On 4/20/2022 at 10:42 AM, NellieB1y said:

Folks, can anyone help me understand how people who never show up on their land, and either leave junk or leave the land empty (no skybox, no prims) pay the mainland tier?  In one case, I know that the person has passed away in RL last year, and apparently his credit card must still work.  In other cases, it's a landholding group with one or two people, who are rarely on SL, and don't respond to friendly notecards and IM's. In other cases it's a rental "company" with an occupancy rate of 50% and yet they refuse to sell empty land to me.

This is a major damper on my efforts to revitalised two mainland sims in my area.  I've already got artists, musicians, people living there; a safe space for folks who have been preyed on elsewhere.  and a sizable chunk of the sims is empty blight, even prime seafront land.

I struggle to understand it. I pay tier at about the $175/moth level.  That's a mindful expense for me, and I have incentive to find the highest and best use of the land.  We've made some beautiful creations.   So how do others manage to hang onto the land, refuse to sell, and not even stick around to enjoy it?

Please advise.  Thanks!

If only SL worked like the states of Maine and New Hampshire, where if you don't tend to your land, mow the grass, walk around the perimeter once a year and put up flags along the border, make sure the beavers don't take over, etc. etc. -- someone might put a claim on your land and get it. So people do those things so they don't lose their investment. And land does get lost that way if someone is out of state or falls ill or dies or their children don't keep it up as they should.

In SL, death and a capacious credit card would do it -- and people theorize about the "4096 for life," but as I've said many times before, I think the Lindens gave away land, or their are actually former Linden staff on alts who have land and then never log in again. There was a very distinct case of this on one pair of sims where a Linden had this sandbox with crazy laggy stuff on physics etc and weird builds which a number of people found annoying but since he was a Linden, they could do nothing. He then left the Lab but his alt got that land and there it sat forever. 

If the land is empty and doesn't even have a skybox, my God, count your blessings, it can and does get worse.

Some people just hate being asked if they will sell their land. They'd be happier without it and could get less land or land elsewhere when they were ready to spend time in SL. It really is a buyer's market. I try not to get in the way of anyone who wants to buy my land, unless of course it is already rented out or is in the middle of a compact community.

I get annoyed at certain people who keep asking to buy land when there are obviously tenants on it or I have said I want to keep it for a perch for myself even if no tenant is there.

So ultimately, think of this: find a different two sims that you can completely control elsewhere. It can be done.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 818 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.