Is there a way to make the Kool RP door shut the hell up?

MsJill

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 820 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am trying to make a secret door that isn't obvious that it's a door. so having it tell me 'you are too far away to use this door' or 'this door can only be actioned by lever 1' kind of defeats the purpose of that. is there any way to make it so the doors don't give away the fact that they are doors when someone clicks?

15 minutes ago, MsJill said:

If I knew how to do THAT I wouldn't be here.

Good point.  However, we can't give you more than generic advice because we can't see your script.  The easy answer, though, is to edit the script and either comment out or remove all lines of code that say anything (with llSay, llRegionSay, llInstantMessage, or other communication commands).  If the script doesn't say anything, you won't hear it.

If you don't have mod perms for the script, so you can't edit it, you'll have to go with Tessa's suggestion.

• Like 1

I did a quick search for "Kool RP door" and found what I assume is the product you're referencing. The marketplace page indicates that it has a customization system built in and specifically mentions it can disable most chat messages the door outputs. How exactly you do this should hopefully be explained in the product's documentation. Or failing that, you could probably reach out to the creator and ask them - as they would know better than anyone else.

On the generic subject of creating a secret door, here's a neat little trick:

Whenever you hover your mouse over an object with a clickable script in it, the cursor changes to a pointing hand graphic. This is a dead giveaway that the object is clickable and might be undesirable towards the goal of hiding the object's purpose. If you want to make the door really well hidden,  you can suppress the cursor's graphical change by setting the default click action to "none" (either via script, or from the build editor window). The object will still be clickable* but the cursor won't indicate it is.

* Correction: left mouse button clicks on the object will not trigger the touch events, but right clicking and choosing "Touch" from the context menu will still function.

Edited by Fenix Eldritch
correction
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Best thing to do is contact the creator of the item, and inform them of your desired use case, and see if they can help you or include those added features in the same or future products.

2 hours ago, Fenix Eldritch said:

On the generic subject of creating a secret door, here's a neat little trick:

Whenever you hover your mouse over an object with a clickable script in it, the cursor changes to a pointing hand graphic. This is a dead giveaway that the object is clickable and might be undesirable towards the goal of hiding the object's purpose. If you want to make the door really well hidden,  you can suppress the cursor's graphical change by setting the default click action to "none" (either via script, or from the build editor window). The object will still be clickable, but the cursor won't indicate it is.

Object->General->Click To: "None"

I tested this in SL Viewer and Firestorm on a scripted object I was making, but the cursor remains - perhaps because there is a touch event inside the script...

I could see this feature being disabled if there is actually a touch-driven event in a script, so that people don't click on things unknowingly or other safety reasons.

Huh... my mistake, I tested it before posting, and could have sworn it was the case. But double checking now and I get a different behavior.

1. rez a prim
  2. drop a default script into it
  3. set click action to "none"

Standard left clicks do not work on this object, and the cursor doesn't change when hovering over it.

However, I can still verify that if you right click the object and select "Touch" from the context menu, that still works. Perhaps that is what I was thinking of.

20 minutes ago, Fenix Eldritch said:

Huh... my mistake, I tested it before posting, and could have sworn it was the case. But double checking now and I get a different behavior.

1. rez a prim
  2. drop a default script into it
  3. set click action to "none"

Standard left clicks do not work on this object, and the cursor doesn't change when hovering over it.

However, I can still verify that if you right click the object and select "Touch" from the context menu, that still works. Perhaps that is what I was thinking of.

Ok, I did that, but I only get the behaviour when I remove the touch_start() event out of the default script  (apparently if commenting out too) , which would defeat the purpose, because we want a touch event, but to not signal it with an icon. (latest test via Firestorm).

I wonder if OP solved the problem or not, no response :/

Edited by entity0x

That being said relying on a click mechanic and having to hide it for secret doors may not be the best answer anyway.

What happens is that a player will be trained that they may find a secret door by clicking, so will end up clicking on every wall in your world/experience/game and that doesn't seem like fun. So sometimes a highlight, or the fact that you DO have a finger cursor when you mouse over the 'secret wall' will still be useful as a clue that they CAN click on what looks like a wall.

The 'door'  is only a secret door by operation only, but LOOKS like any other wall.. the only clue that something is up, that when you mouse over it the click action icon gives a clue. Since you can't do dice rolls for PERCEPTION of a player in SL, it would almost be enough to leave this kind of thing in, and disguise the door instead.

A better solution that has been used is to create a subtle clue that something is out of place, like a slight crack in the wall, or even simply having a wall with the same texture as the rest, but there is no physical blocking, so the player can find it by accident - a false wall.

Or as Molly has mentioned have a visible switch somewhere that activates or opens a door nearby (Quake style).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 820 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.