Weird Reflections in Windows

EnchantrixLisa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 889 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

@Quartz Mole 

So I cleared my cache and downloaded the SL viewer.  Now I can add audio to the problem lol.  There is a YT video playing and I'm learning all about dinosaurs. 😲  If I believed in hauntings I'd say this parcel is haunted. 

This is the the code I see when I open the chat /conversations window: http://simhost-03a602a4f19cc1319.agni.secondlife.io:12046/cap/617ba3fa-79c6-973b-d226-5a76175f7bc4</bridgeURL><bridgeAuth>628ba50e-5784-3dc3-9fac-4321d9e3f957</bridgeAuth><bridgeVer>2.27</bridgeVer>

If anyone wants to pop over and see if they experience the same thing, hear ya go. http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Abaft/69/109/22

I don't plan to keep the parcel but not sure I should abandon it and someone gets it and has the same issues. 

Windows4.thumb.JPG.3f2a2623bdd4b062451602447cdcdf3f.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm here and not seeing what you see.

Update: I was one of those standing around scratching their heads. But, after I turned on media, about the same time Nika did, the image in the windows appeared. I came back and edited my post below but forgot to add an update to this post. 

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 3

IT IS MEDIA!!!!  Media also does not reset when a parcel changes hands.  In the Land menu, change the media texture to "none".

There's a bunch of us here, and we see the problem when we turn on media.

That's kinda diabolical (plus the environment setting is REALLY ugly lol).  

@Quartz Mole, this is really a weird form of griefing.  Can the parcel media texture and environment be reset when a parcel changes hands?

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

No, it's not a construction issue really.  But it sort of is ... kinda looks like the moles used a blank texture (instead of a glass texture) for stilt windows, and just set the transparency to get alpha.  Bad idea, since some people use a blank texture for media screens.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So hopefully this will be the last follow up lol.  Thanks to @Nika Talaj and SarahKB7 for popping over and figuring out what the issue was.  I had to change the texture to "none" and I removed the Youtube url from the Home Page section. 

Thank you ladies for taking the time to come and help, I really do appreciate it! ❤️

424938157_.m..moiuoiuoi.thumb.JPG.6964e935b961b9c96501686113582967.JPG

• Like 7

Yup, that's what is up with the stilt windows - the same "blank" texture as in the build menu was used for the windows.  And the person who made my boat also used it!  Creators, if you want to use a blank texture, MAKE YOUR OWN!   lol

Thank the primal cause that the siding and wall textures in the content packs are not on your LH!

media_001.jpg.8ddd5f6370cab03e2ec762e5134e01a5.jpg

• Like 2

• Moles
1 hour ago, Nika Talaj said:

But it sort of is ... kinda looks like the moles used a blank texture (instead of a glass texture) for stilt windows, and just set the transparency to get alpha

9 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

the same "blank" texture as in the build menu was used for the windows

We didn't and it wasn't   I've just checked the UUID of the Stilts' plain window texture and it's not the default blank texture.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Moles
21 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

My friend, (I hope), how did I make the pic above?  Look at the windows!

I don't know what has caused it but I can assure you that I've checked both the UUID the script uses and the UUID of the windows of the stilt houses in the current rezzer, and I can confidently tell you that it's not that of the default plain texture, 

ETA:  Neverthess, I've used the repro Nika sent me and, to my surprise, that's what's happening, despite the fact the two textures have different uuids and were created by different people at different times.

Edited by Quartz Mole
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

This is why I keep two viewers at the ready. If something weird happens in one, I switch to the other for confirmation. If they match, I blame the server side. If they don't match, the problem is probably in one of the viewers. A cache clear and or/reinstall generally fixes my viewer problems.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

IT IS MEDIA!!!!  Media also does not reset when a parcel changes hands.  In the Land menu, change the media texture to "none".

There's a bunch of us here, and we see the problem when we turn on media.

That's kinda diabolical (plus the environment setting is REALLY ugly lol).  

@Quartz Mole, this is really a weird form of griefing.  Can the parcel media texture and environment be reset when a parcel changes hands?

I had the same thoughts about possibly someone doing it on purpose but didn't want to get paranoid about it and also not wanting to believe or think someone would be that mean.  I also thought maybe they were trying to set something up, it didn't work out and they didn't know how to fix it and abandoned the parcel. That's why I didn't want to abandon it bc I didn't want someone else to come along and have to deal with it until it was fixed.  I may still abandon it bc I found a Stilt on land that is even better! I may start trying for a Newbrooke when the new theme opens as I'm sure many people will be wanting to get one. :) 

• Like 3

• Moles

The problem is easily fixed -- just go to About Land-Media and remove the parcel media URL and the parcel media texture.    Then, if you want to use parcel media in future, just don't use the default plain texture (any texture you don't otherwise use will do, or you could make your own, in Photoshop or GIMP,  with some text on it).

There's no way I can think of to clear the media settings automatically when a parcel changes hands, since only the parcel owner can change them by script (Governor Linden when the parcel is abandoned) but if you take over a new parcel you can clear the settings by rezzing a prim  there and dropping in this script, which should  restore them to their defaults and then delete the prim.  Or you can use About Land-Media and clear them manually.

default{
	state_entry(){
		llParcelMediaCommandList([PARCEL_MEDIA_COMMAND_TEXTURE,"",PARCEL_MEDIA_COMMAND_URL,"",PARCEL_MEDIA_COMMAND_TYPE,""]);
		llDie();
	}
}

Edited by Quartz Mole
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 6

41 minutes ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

Maybe it's already cleared, but it looks normal to me. 

Yes, a couple of people from the thread popped over and were able to figure it out.  They were able to explain the issue in the thread along with one of the LL Moles.  It may have been done on purpose but I'd like to think not and perhaps they were trying to set something up and it didn't go as planned and tossed the house back for someone else to get.  

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 889 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.