Newbrooke Homes Bug/Improvement

Zane Zimer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 724 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Firstly, I have been quite happy with my Linden Home since moving from Meadowbrook. I have noticed what I think it is a bug, however, with the home controller, at least on my Aldridge. When selecting one of my Custom Colors to view it's RGB, I get the following:

[07:52:31 PDT] LH Newbrooke - Aldridge -1024: 
You selected Custom 0.
This color has RGB values of <0.64706, 0.70588, 0.60784>. Use those values in the color picker in your viewer's Build editor if you are making your own add-on creations and want to match them to this wall color. 

If you need a color vector for a LSL script, the comparable RGB values are <0.002,0.002,0.002>.

The line indicating the RGB values, appears to be the 0.0-1.0 normalized values not the correct 256 values. It makes it challenging to see what custom colors I have, since I cannot name them in the HUD.

My second item is something I would like considered as an improvement. The doors in the Newbrookes (perhaps others) only swing open to 90°. While I favor the swing doors over the pocket doors of Meadowbrook, it seems like they could open further. The changes do not 'stick', obviously, but I have used the edit feature on my home and edit the linked item's angle to see what they would look like. Most doors, again in an Aldridge, could swing to 165° easily and offer more floor space and a greater indoor/outdoor feel for the decking. Like this: Deck Doors.

Cheers!

Edited by Zane Zimer
typo
  • Like 5

You are completely correct, the fractional RGB values in your chat are a bug.  This could be reported to Jira, but I think @Quartz Mole and/or @Dyna Mole might prefer to just read about it here? It has been this way for a while.   Note that I ONLY see this bug when I choose the "My Colors" button on the top controller menu.  When I actually apply my custom color to the wall, the RGB values in chat are correct. 

In the following quote, I define a light lavender color in a Fantasseria home (black text), then I view the color in the My Colors menu (red text).  I see the same problem you do, HOWEVER, in the Fantasseria (and I believe Vic as well) homes, it's less of an issue because it goes on to give RGB for Photoshop or GIMP, which are (I think incorrectly, lol) the correct SL color picker values (tho off by one in the x & y values, weird).

[08:31:27] LH - Fantasy - Steepspell V1.7AAd: 
 Left click on an interior wall to begin creating a new color. 
[08:32:01] Color Picker HUD: 
 The color you have created will be saved in the "My Colors" menu of your control panel as "Custom 0". 
[08:32:01] LH - Fantasy - Steepspell V1.7AAd: 
 This color has RGB values of <194,185,196>. You can use those values if you want to match your own add-on creations to this wall color with the color picker in your viewer's Build editor. 

If you use another program like Photoshop or GIMP to create textures, the comparable RGB values are <0.760,0.725,0.768>.
[08:32:16] LH - Fantasy - Steepspell V1.7AAd: 
You selected Custom 0.
[08:32:16] LH - Fantasy - Steepspell V1.7AAd: 
 This color has RGB values of <0.76078, 0.72549, 0.76863>. Use those values in the color picker in your viewer's Build editor if you are making your own add-on creations and want to match them to this wall color. 

If you use another program like Photoshop or GIMP to create textures, the comparable RGB values are <193,184,196>.

On a Bradbury (a different Newbrooke model), the dialog is a little different from the Fantasseria one.  The top menu My Colors (in red) does not go on to give values for Photoshop or GIMP, so the correct SL RGB values are not listed anywhere.  However, if you go to apply the color, it does correctly state the RGB, as in the Fantasseria home.  Also, the color defined is actually a light aqua, so the LSL values given when I defined the color look like they are correct.  But the LSL values given from the My Colors button on the top menu appear to be a random constant.

[08:36:53] LH Newbrooke - Bradbury - 1024: 
Left click on an interior wall to begin creating a new color. 
[08:37:23] Color Picker HUD: 
 The color you have created will be saved in the "My Colors" menu of your control panel as "Custom 0". 
[08:37:23] LH Newbrooke - Bradbury - 1024: 
This color has RGB values of <165,196,193>. Use those values in the color picker in your viewer's Build editor if you are making your own add-on creations and want to match them to this wall color. 

If you need a color vector for a LSL script, the comparable RGB values are <0.647,0.768,0.756>.
[08:37:23] LH Newbrooke - Bradbury - 1024: 
House details updated.
[08:37:34] LH Newbrooke - Bradbury - 1024: 
You selected Custom 0.
[08:37:34] LH Newbrooke - Bradbury - 1024: 
This color has RGB values of <0.64706, 0.76863, 0.75686>. Use those values in the color picker in your viewer's Build editor if you are making your own add-on creations and want to match them to this wall color. 

If you need a color vector for a LSL script, the comparable RGB values are <0.002,0.003,0.002>.

I see that for the Sakura theme, the Moles will be giving us a HUD for interior wall colors?  I love that idea, because it seems to me this method could be extended to all the themes.  That way, one could define new colors once in your own copy of the HUD, and apply them to ANY home!  In fact, you could make the HUD capable of reading colors from a notecard and dumping its defined colors to chat, which you could give to anybody to put into their own color HUD!!  Huzzah, I hope that happens!

At that point, I think they could safely remove interior wall color definitions from the mole's central database, which probably would be a blessing for them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Moles

Hmm.. That's odd. We've upgraded that custom color system a few times, but I've never seen it do that.  I'll have to dig into it to see what's up.  Thanks, Nika.

BTW, the custom interior colors have always been managed in a HUD. It attaches as soon as you select it with the Color Picker button in the Decorate >>> Walls >>> My Colors dialog menu. When you apply the color you created, it is stored in the house's local memory (which is why it is not available if you rez a new house later), and then the HUD detaches. All of the preset colors are hard-coded into the house's control panel and your choices are saved in KVP (so they are available when you rez a new copy of the house), along with other decor choices you have made.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

On 4/17/2022 at 11:06 AM, Zane Zimer said:

Firstly, I have been quite happy with my Linden Home since moving from Meadowbrook. I have noticed what I think it is a bug, however, with the home controller, at least on my Aldridge. When selecting one of my Custom Colors to view it's RGB, I get the following:

You selected Custom 0.
This color has RGB values of <0.64706, 0.70588, 0.60784>. Use those values in the color picker in your viewer's Build editor if you are making your own add-on creations and want to match them to this wall color. 

If you need a color vector for a LSL script, the comparable RGB values are <0.002,0.002,0.002>.

The line indicating the RGB values, appears to be the 0.0-1.0 normalized values not the correct 256 values. It makes it challenging to see what custom colors I have, since I cannot name them in the HUD.

My second item is something I would like considered as an improvement. The doors in the Newbrookes (perhaps others) only swing open to 90°. While I favor the swing doors over the pocket doors of Meadowbrook, it seems like they could open further. The changes do not 'stick', obviously, but I have used the edit feature on my home and edit the linked item's angle to see what they would look like. Most doors, again in an Aldridge, could swing to 165° easily and offer more floor space and a greater indoor/outdoor feel for the decking. Like this: Deck Doors.

Cheers!

You can edit your Linden home building, i.e. outside the panel provided? Or just in the Newbrookes? I thought they didn't edit.

45 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

You can edit your Linden home building, i.e. outside the panel provided? Or just in the Newbrookes? I thought they didn't edit.

You can change the walls, floors and ceilings colours and make custom colours for the insides.  There are also options for the outsides for all models of Linden Homes. 🥰

On 4/17/2022 at 5:20 PM, Dyna Mole said:

Hmm.. That's odd. We've upgraded that custom color system a few times, but I've never seen it do that.  I'll have to dig into it to see what's up.  Thanks, Nika.

BTW, the custom interior colors have always been managed in a HUD. It attaches as soon as you select it with the Color Picker button in the Decorate >>> Walls >>> My Colors dialog menu. When you apply the color you created, it is stored in the house's local memory (which is why it is not available if you rez a new house later), and then the HUD detaches. All of the preset colors are hard-coded into the house's control panel and your choices are saved in KVP (so they are available when you rez a new copy of the house), along with other decor choices you have made.

You know it would be nice if the hud was something in the content pack that we could take to inventory and keep, with our custom colours loaded into it, so we can apply them easily to our next Linden Home. 

• Like 6

On 4/20/2022 at 5:42 AM, BJoyful said:

You can change the walls, floors and ceilings colours and make custom colours for the insides.  There are also options for the outsides for all models of Linden Homes. 🥰

Yes, I realize -- the colours, sure, I get that, but he was edited a door to change its angle.

• Like 2

@Prokofy Neva I’m sure Zane can’t edit his own door angle… but was hoping one of the Moles who read Forums might be able to… or make note of the difference in the door not opening as wide as the other Themes 🧘‍♀️🤩

Edited by BJoyful
Forgot how to quote on my iPad (senior citizen moment)
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, BJoyful said:

@Prokofy Neva I’m sure Zane can’t edit his own door angle… but was hoping one of the Moles who read Forums might be able to… or make note of the difference in the door not opening as wide as the other Themes 🧘‍♀️🤩

Well, this is what we wrote: "I have used the edit feature on my home and edit the linked item's angle to see what they would look like." So I'll leave it to him to explain. Perhaps there are separate doors available in some of the kits?

37 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Well, this is what we wrote: "I have used the edit feature on my home and edit the linked item's angle to see what they would look like." So I'll leave it to him to explain. Perhaps there are separate doors available in some of the kits?

I understood that to mean that he looked at the door in edit mode to see the angle.  I’ve done this from time to time to examine linksets or dimensions of items owned by others even though I cant actually edit them.❤️

7 minutes ago, BJoyful said:

I understood that to mean that he looked at the door in edit mode to see the angle.  I’ve done this from time to time to examine linksets or dimensions of items owned by others even though I cant actually edit them.❤️

Your persistence in trying to prove that I have misunderstood his seemingly straightforward sentence is admirable, BJoyful, and now you have done it!

• Haha 1

On the subject of color vectors. For years I dash here for a quick color vector grab - https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Category:LSL_Color

For 2 months now it does'nt give vectors any more its spouts javascript instead but I thought it might be my browser ? And Joy sez I should of posted this elsewhere, apoligies, could  mod move it. :|

image.png.fccf219b6e3b012012c3cc9be3bb34da.png

Edited by rasterscan

6 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

While BJoyful's explanation is the most likely, I'd also like to point out that two themes, possible more, do come with the inside doors provided in the content kit so that the resident may indeed edit those doors. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 724 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.