Why does it matter?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 734 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Doesn't the viewer put that dot on standard when you install the viewer first time (again)?

I have been walking around with that dot for I don't know how long too and just like Qie, I don't even have a microphone attached or a headphone on most of the time when in SL.

Thanks for the reminder Kaleg.

Edited by Sid Nagy

I remember in the days when I wasn't "out" yet and so was "a dude with a female avi" a guy did something similar to me, and I was like "sure baby" and then played very loud clips of Frank from Its Always Sunny down my mic until he muted and blocked me. 

Just because someone is a jerk doesn't mean you cant have some fun at their expense.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, entity0x said:

And many times, some of us are just saying "Hello", and now regret even bothering. Too many have chips on their shoulders and mental issues - and you never know which one is going to get set off. By the posts on these forums, there are many, so why does anyone bother with the social space.

Don't worry, I will never try to talk to you inworld, wouldn't ever want you to feel put upon or threatened or harassed.

The ones just making/intending casual conversation have never been the problem, and I do not see a logical connection between "Theres a small handfull of people" to "everytime someone says hello i feel harassed" 
That's some olympics level mental gymnastics. And you say we got mental issues, lol.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, AnnabelleApocalypse said:

I remember in the days when I wasn't "out" yet and so was "a dude with a female avi" a guy did something similar to me, and I was like "sure baby" and then played very loud clips of Frank from Its Always Sunny down my mic until he muted and blocked me. 

Just because someone is a jerk doesn't mean you cant have some fun at their expense.

I fully approve of this level of shenanigans! If more people did that on voice, maybe we'd all get asked less. 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Doesn't the viewer put that dot on standard when you install the viewer first time (again)?

I barely even know what thread I'm in, but I want René back. 

• Thanks 1

Maybe "Why are you so rude?" would be another question for that particular person, although I'm almost thinking that the underlying reasons may be rather similar if not the same for both questions.

To me personally, it doesn't matter, and I've never asked anyone nor would I. If they tell me, either through their profile, or more directly, that's great, I'm a human, and somewhat curious about people if I interact with them (but if they'll tell me their favourite of all poems, I'll be just as happy as if they tell me their gender if not more), and if not, that's just fine, too, I don't need to know. 

• Like 1

It's not my day.
I just changed my avatar picture into stroopwafels. :(

0002065_stroopwafels_600.jpeg

But back to Fozzie it is.  :D

End of Lesson 1: How To Derail A Forum Thread On A Sunny Monday Afternoon.

61450688.jpg

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Meccha Suki said:

Maybe "Why are you so rude?" would be another question for that particular person, although I'm almost thinking that the underlying reasons may be rather similar if not the same for both questions.

I like that! A rude question, may as well be answered with a question.

On 4/17/2022 at 12:08 AM, Rowan Amore said:

I think men's masculinity is more closely tied to their sexuality than women's.  

This, for sure. And for most men, their sexuality and their self-esteem seem to be much more closely entwined than they are for women.

Most heterosexual men would be deeply offended and their self-esteem shaken if anyone suggested that they were gay.  Ironic really, because many gay men (especially the bears, the gym-bunnies and the leathermen) are literally the most masculine men you're ever likely to meet. 

I've yet to see any woman get deeply offended if someone suggested that she was a lesbian. Amused, maybe, but never offended. I have seen heterosexual men try to accuse a woman of being a lesbian in an attempt to get her upset and it's never worked.

• Like 8

Wow , that is just sad.  Second Life is mine its yours its everybodys but nobody owns it. However we all contribute to this world in our own ways. Too bad some want to have a negative impact. I used to let everything get under my skin but I learned I am me and you are you. Don't like it too bad so sad, I don't have to please you if you are going to bring rain to my parade. I have an umbrella. So if you want to walk down any street you go right ahead head held high. What my take is from my read here is classy people with a sense of etiquette and style. There is nothing wrong with manners and giving others space to explore their sl. Nobody deserves anyone wasting their time. Time is precious and there is only so long I will put up with an ignorant pinhead .Get out of my bubble. Funny thing there's always a seinfeld episode pops in my head. Well at least I've got that.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lewis Luminos said:

This, for sure. And for most men, their sexuality and their self-esteem seem to be much more closely entwined than they are for women.

Most heterosexual men would be deeply offended and their self-esteem shaken if anyone suggested that they were gay.  Ironic really, because many gay men (especially the bears, the gym-bunnies and the leathermen) are literally the most masculine men you're ever likely to meet. 

I've yet to see any woman get deeply offended if someone suggested that she was a lesbian. Amused, maybe, but never offended. I have seen heterosexual men try to accuse a woman of being a lesbian in an attempt to get her upset and it's never worked.

The problem is that society still places too much emphasis on concepts like virility.  Spectacles of rugged aggression like sportsball are still given a huge spotlight in the media and physical prowess is sometimes lauded more than intelligence and other attributes that are arguably more important and valuable in a modern society.

The idea of women participating in sports was unthinkable up until relatively recent times and is still frowned upon and even prohibited in some parts of the world, and while it's becoming more accepted in some places it's still very much a male-dominated field and is a haven for chauvinism and gender related phobias.  Yet still we heap riches on those who compete in these events and broadcast them to the world then sit and wonder why so many of those that watch them are obsessed by notions like virility which as Wikipedia puts it "is commonly associated with vigour, health, sturdiness, and constitution, especially in the fathering of children."

There have been some advances made in gender equality over recent years and the notion that women must be delicate and graceful, etc. in order to be considered feminine is increasingly seen as archaic, but there has been comparatively little change in societies perceptions of what constitutes a "real man".

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Lewis Luminos said:

Ah, the double edge swords of misogyny (and misandry). Though it's fairer, I hope misanthropy isn't the answer.

If you really want to upset me, accuse me of not being nefarious.

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 734 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.