Why does it matter?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 728 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Literal homophobia & transphobia.

Wouldn't want to risk bumping uglies if the uglies might match. That might lead to feelings and all kinds of self questioning, and perhaps making a voice verified group to keep track of all the people they managed to bully into defending themselves, and honestly .. who has time for that.

OFGS. This has nothing to do with being homophobic or transphobic.  it does however, has everything to do with the fact that this human is simply a jacka&& as Rowan points out.

If I met a male avatar and the relationship progressed enough to want to have pixel sex with them I certainly do want to know if they are a male in RL or a female playing a male avatar. 

I'm not attracted to women in RL and I wouldn't want to have a online sexual encounter with a woman in any avatar be it male, female, bird, fish etc.  I'm not worried about anything leading to "feelings and self questioning" That's ridiculous.  I do think that if you get to the a stage where you are having any type of sexual interaction with another avatar you should be able to ask and be told truthfully the sex of the avatar. 

In normal circumstances I don't really care what sex an avatar is if I'm having casual conversation or we are acquaintances.  If it gets further than then I want to know.  If they don't wish to share that's totally fine but I would not expect them to lie about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

This has nothing to do with being homophobic or transphobic.

Well, in some cases, it does.  Not for women as much as men.  I think men's masculinity is more closely tied to their sexuality than women's.  I know at one point, I was in a relationship with someone I assumed was a man.  Years later, I discovered it was a woman.  My sense of femininity was not damaged in the least. Some men are different in that respect as I'm sure some women are.  I felt upset that I was lied to but not that I had pixel sex with a RL woman. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

Me too. There are legitimate reasons one may choose not to voice, including

- You may view voice as not part of an "immersive experience" in a virtual world

- You may wish to not share aspects of yourself that voice would communicate such as age, accent, illness, environment, etc.

- Your RL environment may not be one where you feel free to speak

- You don't entertain the requests of randos

Also, if you have a male sounding voice but wish to voice in SL and sound female... isn't there an app for that?

-You have partial hearing loss 

-You can't hear them because you are deaf.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

Well, in some cases, it does.  Not for women as much as men.  I think men's masculinity is more closely tied to their sexuality than women's.  I know at one point, I was in a relationship with someone I assumed was a man.  Years later, I discovered it was a woman.  My sense of femininity was not damaged in the least. Some men are different in that respect as I'm sure some women are.  I felt upset that I was lied to but not that I had pixel sex with a RL woman. 

Good point but being upset that you had pixel sex with a woman wouldn't make you homophobic or are you saying it would? I don't have a dislike or a prejudice against gay people at all. I still do not want to have sex with a woman.
ho·mo·pho·bic

/ˌhōməˈfōbik/
adjective

1. having or showing a dislike of or prejudice against gay people.
    "homophobic remarks"

I actually get more attention when I'm in world as a non-human. My little devil and "Spontaneous Moral Decay" particle avatars seem most popular. I think @Ayashe Ninetails is right to think that hair has something to do with it. For most of my 14 years here, I've worn short messy styles and gotten fairly little attention. Those few times I've donned my blonde bombshell hair, I have received compliments.

The thing that's elicited the most IMs over the years is my mention of Dr. Richard Feynman in my profile. That makes me happy.

As for why people behave the way they do, I'll have to fall back on the McMasters Family Motto, which we recited any time someone did something inexplicable...

"People are weird".

The unspoken part of that motto has always been...

"And we are people".

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Coffee Pancake said:

This is legit me :(

I haven't progressed to the last one. Yet. Hopefully the hearing loss doesn't get any worse than it has been for the past... 50 years. If it does, I'll still hear but spoken words will sound like Charlie Brown's teacher. At least I can still read. For now.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Good point but being upset that you had pixel sex with a woman wouldn't make you homophobic or are you saying it would? I don't have a dislike or a prejudice against gay people at all. I still do not want to have sex with a woman.
ho·mo·pho·bic

/ˌhōməˈfōbik/
adjective

1. having or showing a dislike of or prejudice against gay people.
    "homophobic remarks"

No but I also didn't question my sexuality when I found out.  Some men might hence bringing out some homophobic tendencies.  He's deathly afraid that would make him gay...OMG!  Kind of homophobic IMO.  And rather silly.

ETA.  The relationship I had was actually one of the best ever.  We had a blast for over a year.  It ended for various reasons, none having to do with their RL gender.  As I said, when I did find out, I didn't suddenly think I might be gay as I was interacting with a male AFAIK.  Some people don't see it that way.  I'm still a heterosexual woman who also did dabble on the other side once.  It wasn't my cup of tea.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I haven't progressed to the last one. Yet. Hopefully the hearing loss doesn't get any worse than it has been for the past... 50 years. If it does, I'll still hear but spoken words will sound like Charlie Brown's teacher. At least I can still read. For now.

60% on one side.. 20% on the other .. I miss a lot of stuff, nightmare in shops or doctors offices where everyone whispers at you.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

No but I also didn't question my sexuality when I found out.  Some men might hence bringing out some homophobic tendencies.  He's deathly afraid that would make him gay...OMG!  Kind of homophobic IMO.  And rather silly.

Ok, well true. If I found that out then you are right. I wouldn't question my sexuality either. I get what you are saying now. It's when people say it shouldn't matter what sex is behind the avatar that I disagree with because for me it does.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:
4 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

60% on one side.. 20% on the other .. I miss a lot of stuff, nightmare in shops or doctors offices where everyone whispers at you.

I have always had difficulty comprehending speech in the presence of noise, which is one reason I dislike parties. I went to see the duo "Civil Wars" ten years ago. The opening act was so f-ing loud my hearing was damaged. I came away from that concert with significant but tolerable tinnitus in my left ear, with virtually no sensitivity above 6KHz. It's only been in the last year or so that I've started noticing the loss. I do sometimes enable CC when watching movies, but then I notice that my eyesight is going. ;-).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I learned to read lips decades ago. Never learned ASL though. 

Sometimes having to ask people to repeat what they say can be a bit of an unintentional payback.

People wonder why I speak so softly. It's because when I speak at a normal level I feel like I am yelling. To me, it sounds like I am yelling.

Yes Maddy, people are weird and I am a people. 

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I have always had difficulty comprehending speech in the presence of noise, which is one reason I dislike parties. I went to see the duo "Civil Wars" ten years ago. The opening act was so f-ing loud my hearing was damaged. I came away from that concert with significant but tolerable tinnitus in my left ear, with virtually no sensitivity above 6KHz. It's only been in the last year or so that I've started noticing the loss. I do sometimes enable CC when watching movies, but then I notice that my eyesight is going. ;-).

Sucks to get old don't it. But at least prison isn't such a big deterrent anymore!

11 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Had a series of bad ear infections when I was young that left me completely deaf for a while and then in my teens when things had almost recovered after years of testing and poking by a gruff Jamaican doctor finally stabilized, I got badly attacked and that kinda sealed the deal.

I hate tinnitus, right side for me .. constant high pitched tone that medication only seems make louder.

CC are a godsend, even the garbage auto generated ones.

47 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I have always had difficulty comprehending speech in the presence of noise, which is one reason I dislike parties.

See? We were separated at birth (just a decade or two apart).  Conversations in crowds drive me nuts. Music with lyrics does too.  I can rarely tell you the words to any song, because they mostly sound like Mwa-mbwa-ma-wah....  That made singing in a church choir interesting, but at least I knew what I was singing. 

44 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Sucks to get old don't it.

Yeah, there are times when it's not as much fun as I thought it was going to be when I was a kid. Most days, though, I'm more relaxed than I was half a lifetime ago. 

image.jpeg.842d464e3fd96f876343e6c154b86ffe.jpeg 

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

See? We were separated at birth (just a decade or two apart).  Conversations in crowds drive me nuts. Music with lyrics does too.  I can rarely tell you the words to any song, because they mostly sound like Mwa-mbwa-ma-wah.... 

Movies are my peeve .. why are the sound effects and music so loud and the actors so muted.

BOOM KER POW PEWPEW PEW rummag muff make them groobs BOOM MUSIC SWELLS poguf mud you

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Had a series of bad ear infections when I was young that left me completely deaf for a while and then in my teens when things had almost recovered after years of testing and poking by a gruff Jamaican doctor finally stabilized, I got badly attacked and that kinda sealed the deal.

I hate tinnitus, right side for me .. constant high pitched tone that medication only seems make louder.

CC are a godsend, even the garbage auto generated ones.

My right ear also on the tinnitus. Only mine usually sounds more like really loud crickets. Volume varies depending on electrical and electronics near me. The further and longer away from all things electric I am the better. Especially those damn powerlines when they hum at such a low frequency. And turn that damn bass down while you are at it! It's all I can hear!

I am thankful for CC and low volumes. Loud or high pitched noises... I won't be responsible for my actions.

22 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Movies are my peeve .. why are the sound effects and music so loud and the actors so muted.

BOOM KER POW PEWPEW PEW rummag muff make them groobs BOOM MUSIC SWELLS poguf mud you

They don't want you to hear the dialogue cause then you'll realise how bad the movie is xD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

OFGS. This has nothing to do with being homophobic or transphobic.  it does however, has everything to do with the fact that this human is simply a jacka&& as Rowan points out.

If I met a male avatar and the relationship progressed enough to want to have pixel sex with them I certainly do want to know if they are a male in RL or a female playing a male avatar. 

I'm not talking about relationships that progress.

ARE YOU A MAN is the opener.

There is an immediate expectation to not only declare the contents of you undies, but to then prove it.

This is why women with "happily married" or male partners in their profile get hit on more. There is the assumption that some other equally diligent guy has verified the goods, and if you're prepared to that guy, why not this guy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 728 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.